Rayovac "1 Watt" 1AA headlight from Walmart

Grubbster

Enlightened
I just got this headlight from Walmart and wanted to give a brief review. This is a brand new addition at Walmart as far as I know. They just redesigned their flashlight display the other day and I found this while shopping today. This light uses what appears to be two 5mm red, one 5mm blue, and a 1W Luxeon which is behind an optic. There is a built in diffuser which pivots to cover the white or red/blue bulbs. This picture shows the diffuser over the red/blue.
P7150230(Small).JPG

The light consists of a headband with no top strap that is attached to the all plastic housing of the light. Balance is good and the up/down rotation is adjusted with a plastic ratchet. The ratchet is very solid and the assembly does not move when running. The headband is easily removable as it is attached in a slot where the band can be taken out without disassembly. The part of the frame that rests against the head has a foam pad. Power is turned on by a switch on top which cycles though red, blue, white, then off.
P7150231(Small).JPG

The light is powered by a single AA battery. This is the only headlight I know of currently using this configuration. The upcoming Zebralight will use this also. The battery is inserted positive end first from the end through a screw off cap which is attached by a plastic cord to prevent loss.
P7150229(Small).JPG

I have not used this light extensively yet but my first impressions are quite positive. The first click of the switch turns on two red leds. Together they make a bright, relatively smooth hotspot with a little spill. There is no optic over these bulbs so it is the typical led spot. Flip the diffuser to that side and the light becomes a nice flood. The next click of the switch turns on the one blue led only. Again a spot or flood is available because of the diffuser. The next click turns on the white led. This bulb is behind an optic and generates quite a bit of light. The color is very nice, leaning to the warm side instead of cool. This is where the diffuser is really nice. When in use, a very nice up close flood or a spot is available when needed. One very nice feature is that there is a small projection under the white led that prevents the light from shining on your nose. The colored leds do not have this feature unfortunately. I would recommend this light to anyone wanting an up-close headlight that is light, versatile, and affordable. Cost was about $19.
P7150232(Small).JPG

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
The package claims 40 lumens. :crackup: It is similar in brightness to a P2D on low or a C-LE on medium so I would guess maybe 25-30 lumens. Because of the optic, most of the beam is in the spot. With the diffuser, there is NO spot, only flood.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome review. cheaper alternative to the zebralight i guess. i'm gonna get one for the heck of it. needed something to spend my walmart GC on

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Oh, man. You had to go and tell me about this. A single cell headlamp with some reds and a decent white is almost irresistable. Guess I know where I'll be going tomorrow at lunch.

Thanks for the review.

Geoff

Grubbster

Enlightened
I ran it last night on one of the Kodak LSD NiMH batteries. It was on for two hours with the white led and only showed slight dimming. Voltage on the battery was about 1.2V when I took it out. The housing gets warm to the touch after about 15 minutes. When I have more time I will see how long it will go. They claim 2 hours but that is with a alkaline battery.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just searched a few stores web sites, then did a google product search and nobody has them on line. I even searched Walmart.com. I don't feel like driving all over to stores that probably don't have them.
Anyone seen them on-line yet?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just searched a few stores web sites, then did a google product search and nobody has them on line. I even searched Walmart.com. I don't feel like driving all over to stores that probably don't have them.
Anyone seen them on-line yet?
Call stores first, that's what I do. Make 'em earn those paychecks!

At Phaserburn- Pics might make me jealous ya know....

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call stores first, that's what I do. Make 'em earn those paychecks!

At Phaserburn- Pics might make me jealous ya know....

Yeah. I probably won't get to it before then, truthfully, but ya never know. I would also like to see more pics. Especially a beamshot vs a known light or two for total output comparison. A runtime graph would be nice too, while I'm compiling my wish list.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got mine today. Early observations positive. I can only compare it to a Proton at this time. Similar brightness for main light with a tight hot spot. The Rayovac's reds are brighter (there are two of them). The swinging diffuser in meant primarily for the Luxeon(?). Rotated the other way it does cover the reds, but only partially covers the blue LED. Switch action is nice, if maybe a bit light. The battery is very well sealed in its o-ringed tube.

I'll try to add some more observations once I get back to the stable and darkness falls.

Geoff

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
They claim a 2 hour runtime, is that for the Luxeon beam only or for both beams? I would think the red LED would last much longer than that considering it would draw much less current. Any runtime graphs?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The packaging doesn't say anything more than 2 hr. runtime. It would seem that the reds would last longer, but they are pretty bright. I was in error a couple posts back about the diffuser. It will swing completely in front of the colored LEDs. Just hadn't pushed hard enough before.

I couldn't wait for darkness to do a few comparisons, so I retired to a windowless bathroom for some wall hunting. The Rayovac is very similar in ceiling bounce brightness to a Civictor, more than the 2AAA River Rock headlamp, and less than a medium Rexlight. Using the diffuser widens the beam about x3 and really improves up-close usability. The reds and blue LEDs are easily bright enough for walking about. The main beam should give decent throw. We'll see tonight.

Can't see anything obviously bad about the light, yet.

Geoff

Latest posts