MAG 2D Bike Light (what to get)

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
I got the mag yesterday (my local WM had the 3W 2D for $25). So I grabbed one to start my bike lite.

This is what I am thinking so far but still have some gaps.

3 Seoul P4 Ubin (i think thats the ones)

Ok thats it LOL not really sure where to source the reflectors (want two wide and one narrow)

Heatsink (would like to get the seouls on stars)

And then electronics. I was thinking using a bflex but not sure if I need to use anything else in conjunction with it to get what I need out of the light.

If this first one works out well I will make a second one for my helmet.

Thanks for helping a newb.

Hobie392

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting a similar project for my trike using a 2D Mag light. I've looked at Swallow's lights and Nightriders lights for ideas.

I have ordered the Seoul P4 (u Bin) stars.

Is it better to use reflectors in a Mag head or will optics and holders work equally as well? My mounting point for the light(s) will be relatively low to the ground.

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure about the reflector and lense option. I thought about doing one of each just so that I can tell for my self.

I was wondering, would be be ok to use a buckpuck 1000ma with a bflex?

Also where would I get a heatsink to fit the three stars?

Lastly do I have to change the stock lense out for a different one or would the plastic lense be ok?

dom

Enlightened
You shouldn't need a buckpuck with the bFlex -it goes up to 1A already and will drive your 3 Seouls in series at that current and a 14.8V battery.

I don't know where you can get a heatsink from for your 3 stars but i have seen them.

20mm reflectors will give you a great beam for tracks. Optics give you more control over your beam pattern
A 10-15deg optic is good for road riding -won't blind oncoming traffic as much as a reflector.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=154195

Your plastic lens should be fine -won't break if a stone hits it.

Cheers
Dom

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Heat sink http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=153522
hunsupark_615_1.jpg

Hobie392

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the information. Will the tri star heat sink for the Mag "c" fit into a Mag D head.

I see that Modamag sells a PTS2-D that will take LuxIII stars. So is it easier to mod the tri star "C" to fit a D, or mod the PTS2-D to fit SSC P4's

What I was leaning towards was a bFlex, with a cut down Mag D body to support the head, with 3 SSC P4 stars, optics: 2 spot and 1 wide lenses with holders or 3 IMS 20's, all driven by Li-ion 14.4 battery. Remote mount a momentary switch on my steering (tadpole trike .. no handle bars) to control the light which will be mounted below my feet. I've got 3 Mag D's off ebay cheap so its possible to try different combinations.

This will be for mainly road riding, but the lights will be mounted at about 24" in height.

Thank you for the input and help.

Stuart

Last edited:

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
My plans are very similar
I am looking to a bar mounted 2 wide 1 spot

and a helmet mounted 2spot 1 wide
(used on a mnt bike)

I was going to cut down the light to behind the switch.

So yea my question is the same as the previous is there a tri seoul sink that fits a d mag?

Thanks a bunch

Hobie392

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread .. seemed we were both headed down the same path.

I like the bFlex because of the UIB. Swallow's build using mag lights got me thinking, Nightriders DIY pages sealed the deal to try and do this myself.

Last edited:

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
You should never hijack threads its not nice..... Just Kidding

I have no problem at all. I finally have some extra money so that I can start working on this project.

I figured if I get started now i might have them done in time for night riding.

So just to make sure that I understand the bflex have several steps to limit the amperage to the LEDs for different brightness levels.

TrekJeff

Newly Enlightened
hunsupark_615_1.jpg

sku_2394_1_small.jpg

Will Cree XR E's fit in these? The listing shows the stars measuring 19.74mm across from flat to flat.

Last edited:

Hobie392

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Dom,

I see you are using 3 x 20 optic on your bike from a post you made. Do you find that gives you enough illumination for distance and spill?

LOL.. I know.. all the information I need is contain in this forum somewhere.. with enough searches and reading I know I will be able to piece it together from the mag light modders and the bike riders.

I'm thinking its best to follow a proven path the first time I try this. From what i have been reading it seems to become an addiction. There is a lot creative ideas floating around here.

I'll probably order both optic 20's and smooth 17 and 20 reflectors to try and see what works best for me.

Stuart

dom

Enlightened
The stars will fit -most are standard sizes. Heights can vary.

Optic or reflector 20mm is fine -10deg optic i use more for the road.Not much diff between them and the 17mm. Usually use 17 to have a smaller light.
There is some beam shots that give you an idea of what sort of area they will light up -i will post them later if you like.

You can get bigger diameter refs or optics -but i'm not sure if they will fit in the mag you want to use. I'm not sure what difference the bigger ones make as i've only used 20mm and smaller.

Cheers
Dom

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thank you for the information. Will the tri star heat sink for the Mag "c" fit into a Mag D head.
:oops:Just checked this heat sink in a mag D head, it does fit but the C is actually deeper so it looks like you wouldn't have enough room for your optics or reflectors. I've managed to pass on similar misinformation a few times recently. :sigh:

dom

Enlightened
I'm sure someone must know what will fit in the mags hey Norm

A couple beam pix

1) Triple 10deg 20mm optics for Seoul
2) Triple IMS20 20mm reflectors for Seoul
3) Triple Carclo 10.4deg 20mm optics with Cree Q5's

713881857_0c45779b59_b.jpg

713881675_12c8cab6cf_b.jpg

864787372_980e902a29_b.jpg

You can see the amount of sidespill on the white wall for the reflectors-this is also going upwards.
So if you use reflectors on the road -you either have to block the upspill with some tape -or aim your lights right in front of your bike.
Great for the tracks though.

The 10deg optic at the top -you can aim further in front of you without annoying traffic.

I'm using the bottom 10.4deg Carclo optic at the moment -no cars have flashed me yet:twothumbs

Cheers
Dom

Hobie392

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the images Dom. I agree the optics look like the better way to go.

Norm, thank you for trying the tri-sink fit.

I think what you are describing is that the sink fits the D head but sits lower (deeper) into the head.

I may just order a tri-sink to try it. I would have to find a way to secure it in the optimal location or shorten the front of the D head.

I did read a thread where the person cut down the front threads of the D head because the optics he used were shorter than the IMS reflectors that most people were using.

If I wind up with extra parts that will not work in a bike light .. well .. I do have a Mag 6C and a Mag 6D laying about the house and the winters are long and cold ..another project already.. uh oh.

The Mag's I got off ebay are red 2d's, surplus from a trucking convention. I think they were about 10 bucks each.

I ordered a Modamag PTS2-D to see how that may fit. I'll order a tri-sink as well, worst that happens is that it winds up in my 6c or I wind up with 2 3xP4's on the front of my trike

Last edited:

Hobie392

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been happily ordering away getting various parts and then I read the pdf for the bFlex and it stated it would only drive 1-2 5W led's.

Can anybody confirm that the bFlex will handle 3/4 SSC P4's (W42180-U from DX).

I am assuming wiring in series, powered by a Li-Ion 18650 14.8V 4400 mAh from All battery.

Once the controller is ordered its going to be a sit and wait for parts to arrive..and read of course.

Thanks

Stuart

TrekJeff

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:
The stars will fit -most are standard sizes. Heights can vary.....

Cheers
Dom

Thanks! It's my understanding that this triple is for the C size mags. I plan on using one of my many D's. Does anyone know how much slop you'd have using the triple heat sinks in a D Mag? I'm not too worried, I have plenty of old computer sinks to make up any difference, just want to make sure that a mod is possible with the triple C in the D body/head.:twothumbs

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I've been happily ordering away getting various parts and then I read the pdf for the bFlex and it stated it would only drive 1-2 5W led's.

Can anybody confirm that the bFlex will handle 3/4 SSC P4's (W42180-U from DX).

I am assuming wiring in series, powered by a Li-Ion 18650 14.8V 4400 mAh from All battery.

Once the controller is ordered its going to be a sit and wait for parts to arrive..and read of course.

Thanks

Stuart

The manual has just been updated to reflect the 'current reality'. bFlex hardware was upgraded many months ago (and the manual was not updated).

bFlex is now rated at 24V input and 24V output, obviously input voltage must be greater than total Vf (bFlex is a buck converter), so if you want to run 3 series LEDs with say 3.7V Vf then you have 3 x 3.7V and 4 li-ions will be perfect. That is a very common LED/battery combination that MANY bFlex drivers are being used in.

To run 4 series LEDs you have 4 x 3.7 = 14.8 of total Vf and 4 li-ion aren't enough....

cheers,
george.