Non-flashaholic friends, we all have them

KingGlamis

Banned
I'm sure we all have non-flashaholic friends. Share your stories about when they needed a light and didn't have one. I just now got a call from one of our good friends saying the power is out at their house and her husband couldn't find any flashlights. :crackup:Sorry, but I'm laughing because of all the teasing I get about owning so many lights. She said she lit some candles and that my buddy (her husband) was looking for a flashlight using the light from his cell phone. I offered to drive over and loan them a few flashlights but she declined, saying "we'll be OK with the candles." Sorry, but in my book candles don't cut it. Maybe this will motivate them to get some lights and KNOW where they are.

flash_bang

Enlightened
I doubt it'll make them get some decent ones. If they're anything like my non -enlightened friends.
The thing they don't realize is that they're always in trouble and stuff, so having some would be good.
Have a good one,
Flash

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Candles huh..........brother...

It took power outages to get my family to put a few reliable lights in there homes. My mom now has a key chain button cell, and Inova in her purse. While dad put about 5 or 6 LED mags and lanterns in the house. My brother purchased two 4D energizer lanterns and Husky 3 stage LEDs from Home Depot. I guess it's a lot better that nothing at all.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
A couple of nights ago my girlfriend went home and when she got their she had to park down the street. There was road construction and she could not park close to her house. When she got out of her car she almost steped on a snake, that scared the hell out of her. The next day she told me the story and said how she wished that she had a flashlight and said she would never make fun of my flashlight's again.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great time for this thread.

A friend of mine who drives an older Integra (90-93 body style) has it very nicely "fixed up," and his cars are constantly being broken into or stolen. (Why doesn't he park in the garage? I don't know...)

Anyway, like two nights ago his mom wakes up screaming at 3:30 in the AM. My friend jumps up, sees someone casing out his car, and grabs for a flashlight. And grabs. And gropes. What? Can't find it??

Thing is, I gave him a P90-powered Surefire 6P for JUST such occasions. EXACTLY this occasion. And it was nowhere to be found...

soffiler

Enlightened
Mountain biking after work last Thursday with a group of 12, we are all well aware of the fact that the days are getting shorter, yet only me and one other guy bother to bring lights into the woods. As darkness is starting to gather and we're making progress back to the parking area, one of the group gets a flat. It's a minor delay that's fixed promptly and we continue, until another of the group has a serious mechanical failure (broken derailleur). He's near the back of the pack, and six people up front escape to the parking area unaware of the problem. In the remaining group including the broken bike, we've got both of the guys with lights. One is a nearly worthless cheapo plastic 3xAA bike light, and then there's me with my SSC-modded Coast Focusing Lenser plus a second battery cartridge and a backup P1D-CE with spare cell. Basically, all six of us got out of the dark woods by my lights. Now, I am expecting some of these people "got religion" from this experience and they'll be shopping and looking for advice. And, some won't.

scottaw

Enlightened
My fiancee occasionally likes to throw in a jab about all my flashlights, but for some reason the dorcy 1W i put in her car seems to be getting plenty of use....hmmmm

Also, i was helping my neighbor do some work in his attic (unlit) so i gave him my PT apex to wear, and when i was in the attic gave him my P2D to use. The next day he tried to find a fenix at wal-mart (obviously couldn't), but came home with a mini-magled. Maybe i'll give him the P2D when i grab a 120P. Try to turn him into a flashaholic.

fishx65

Enlightened
The famous statement I here from my non-flashaholic friends is " Dang that thing is bright".

Sakkath

Newly Enlightened
My ex girlfriend had my phone and was browsing through pictures I had taken, then she came to a picture of my flashlights!
"I can't belive you've taken a picture of you'r flashlights!":ironic:

I flashed a friend of mine with my red photon freedom microlight, and he was like: "No stop that!"
at the time I thought he was just kidding, but he actually thought it was a laser :naughty:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this counts since i was there, but last week a couple of us went to the lake to fish - well, they were fishing; i went just to see what fishing looked like - and somehow dark snuck up on us. I don't know that we *needed* a light to wend our way through the trees, but my Spy with dying batteries made it a whole lot easier. (pause) Actually, i guess they did need it, 'cause there's no way there was enough light for them to swap lures, which i remember them doing. I guess if i wasn't there they would've taken longer to walk back and either used the same lure or just quit early. Hardly a big deal, but still...

Daekar

Enlightened
My favorite quote from non-flashaholics: "What's in that thing!? A small star!?" :huh: My girlfriend has started to be a mild convert... she uses her G2 to illuminate herd animals from long range, all the people at the Ag. school think it's a mini-spotlight. heh heh... imagine what they'd think of a small HID!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of our best frineds become a freind when she was our real estate agent. We looked at a lot-A LOT-of houses. We would go in basements and attics often without light, and I would pull mine out...everyone was always SO APPRECIATIVE of the light, and talk about what a fantastic thing it was to have on you when house shopping...and she does this for a living! She still doesn't carry one.....

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
I don't really hear about times they needed a light and didn't have one, so I only know about times when I was there to provide a light. I don't know how far these things would have gone had I not been there or how many other times they have happened.

One time I was with a friend who lives and works in a rural area and we stopped off to check up on her horse after dark. Now I know she keeps a minimag in her glove box but despite being in a dark area with most of the the lights turned off for the night it never occurred to her to grab it before leaving the car because she expected to just turn on the lights when we got to the building. So when she goes to turn on a light she walks into the even darker interior of the barn and cant find the cord for the light, at which point she promptly pulls out her cell phone for light and still cant find the thing, as soon as I saw that I pulled out a real flashlight. It turns out the cord had been pined under a pallet with a few bales of hay on top. I don't know how much longer it would have been before she would have gone back to the car for the light or if it would have occurred to her at all, but I do know I wouldn't want to have tried to move that pallet in the dark it was hard enough when we could see.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
What a great time for this thread.

A friend of mine who drives an older Integra (90-93 body style) has it very nicely "fixed up," and his cars are constantly being broken into or stolen. (Why doesn't he park in the garage? I don't know...)

Anyway, like two nights ago his mom wakes up screaming at 3:30 in the AM. My friend jumps up, sees someone casing out his car, and grabs for a flashlight. And grabs. And gropes. What? Can't find it??

Thing is, I gave him a P90-powered Surefire 6P for JUST such occasions. EXACTLY this occasion. And it was nowhere to be found...

This is a good argument for buying people lots of cheap flashlights and putting them all over. I've put cheap lights in my wife's desk drawer, the closets by the front and garage doors, the kids' dresser...

Of course, for us, it's an argument for arguing about which expensive flashlights to buy, then buying them and putting them all over :cool:

soffiler

Enlightened
I don't think scattering flashlights all over works at all. Non-flashaholics will usually pass up a flashlight that is right under their nose and beat their way around in the dark. People just won't use a tool that is "outside the box". I think that realtor story a couple posts above tells the tale pretty well.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
no more non-flashaholic friends for me, i gave them my old crusty obsolete (LED) junk and they converted the next day.
hey whats a candle anyways :thinking:

beetleguise

Enlightened
:bow:As a recent convert, I must admit I was blind, but now I finally see. I was stumbling in the dark at work every night with nothing but a poly-stinger. I realized that I needed more candlepower in order to see the top static wick on a 757-200, so I bought the ultra-stinger. This was brighter, but I was still in the dark- unaware that more lumens were out there- I just needed to seek them.
And then one night, while watching you-tube for entertainment, I saw the "torch" video. I was awestruck.:eek:oo:
I had to find out more, so I searched the web frantically with my co-worker "Aircraft800". Soon we each owned a couple of modded maglites. He with his custom machined mag 11 and me with my simple but bright mag 85. We were blinding pilots as they taxied into the terminal every night. Our co-workers did not respond to the message of light as we hoped. These infidels just don't understand like us, for they have never held the power of a modded light in their hands. That is how they will be won over......... we must put the power into their own hands and then they will see the light.:bow:

Spin

Enlightened
:bow:As a recent convert, I must admit I was blind, but now I finally see. I was stumbling in the dark at work every night with nothing but a poly-stinger. I realized that I needed more candlepower in order to see the top static wick on a 757-200, so I bought the ultra-stinger. This was brighter, but I was still in the dark- unaware that more lumens were out there- I just needed to seek them.
And then one night, while watching you-tube for entertainment, I saw the "torch" video. I was awestruck.:eek:oo:
I had to find out more, so I searched the web frantically with my co-worker "Aircraft800". Soon we each owned a couple of modded maglites. He with his custom machined mag 11 and me with my simple but bright mag 85. We were blinding pilots as they taxied into the terminal every night. Our co-workers did not respond to the message of light as we hoped. These infidels just don't understand like us, for they have never held the power of a modded light in their hands. That is how they will be won over......... we must put the power into their own hands and then they will see the light.:bow:
"We were blinding pilots as they taxied into the terminal every night."
Hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!