Quad Lux 3 riverrock mod

photorob

Enlightened
This is a mod I thought up and put together a few months ago. This contains all leftover parts I had laying around. It uses four lux 3's a fatman driver with 50k pot and runs off 8 AA'S. I uses a piece of PVC pipe as an extension and remounted the base for easier access. All I really have to do is make a more permanent base contact. The fatman is mounted on a heatsink between the window and the battery compartment. The only drawback I have from this project is that there is no longer a way to take it apart because I Epoxied the whole unit together to seal it. You could probably take the same concept and extend it to any lantern. It's pretty strait forward. Beamshots to come. It is extremely bright and quite blinding. Runtimes I'm not to sure. I haven't been home long enough to really test. It probably could be calculated easily.

An on/off switch is mounted on the side and a computer heatsink is directly mounter to the aluminum bar. The heatsink does a great job moving the heat.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That looks like a great mod, I think to use it as a lantern you might need to frost the plastic so the light is not as hurtful to the eyes(where's that word I'm think of)

Any beamshots?

Gryloc

Enlightened
Too bad it is epoxied shut. If this gets a lot of use, you could have used Seoul P4s, Cree XR-Es, or even the new Rebel (if you can handle them). This will give you extra brightness so you do not even have to turn up the potentiometer much. Great project! Nice job. So, as for beamshots, does it give you a nice and tight beam with lots of throw? :grin2: j/k Cant wait for more pictures...

-Tony