Fenix Holsters - a little bit of a rant

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to hate Fenix lights. Now I really like them. As someone (forgot who) on this forum wisely said, most of the people who trash Fenix lights have never used them.

That said, I HATE their holsters. Why can't they put a little flap over them so the light can't fall out?

Since Fenix has become so much of a trend setter (also responsible for the annoying strobe and flash popularity), now almost all of the modern led lights come with the same type of holster. Yuck!

I think the early Fenix holsters had flaps but the new ones don't. Did they do that to save a few cents or do other people actually prefer holsters without flaps?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in attics, crawlspaces and everywhere in between with an L1T in its stock holster and it has never come close to falling out. Plus, without a flap, it's easier to get it out. I bought 3 extra cases from fenix-store.com thinking I'd have to replace it every few months, or so. Well, after more than a year, the stock case is going strong, it's just a little dirty.

JamisonM

Enlightened
I never intended to use the holster that came with my L2D-CE. I don't want to look like the guy with a bunch of stuff on his belt and headset stuck in his ear, but still wanted a way to carry it around with me everywhere I go. So, the pocket clip was the only way that I saw that I could do this. Looking around I didn't see any pocket clips for my L2D-CE, so, I made one my self. The link's in my signature. What I'm saying is not to make a pocket clip for yourself or buy a pre-made one, but fix something up for yourself to fit your needs. If you don't want to modify the holster that came with it; I sure there's a holster out there that would fit your fenix.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Jamison, I had missed that thread, but I like the approach. Thanks for the effort.

Illum, I figure the Fenix lights fit a pocket so well, there is not a lot of reason for a holster. I do use one for the P3D sometimes, however.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Jamison, I had missed that thread, but I like the approach. Thanks for the effort.

Illum, I figure the Fenix lights fit a pocket so well, there is not a lot of reason for a holster. I do use one for the P3D sometimes, however.
I'm glade you like it. When you have the tablecloth clamps cut and shaped the way you want, they really do make for a great and inexpensive DIY pocket clip. I still don't know why fenix hasn't come out with a pocket clip for their larger AA and 123 based lights. They're not large by any means and could easily be pocketed. As I've said before I don't like the look of having stuff hanging from my belt. I keep all my EDC stuff in both my right and left pocket. My keys and multi-tool are in the left and wallet, cellphone, pocket knife and L2D-CE (both attached side-by-side at the top of the pocket with pocket clip in the right. Everything I need and nothing I don't (though that debatable) all in easy reach and no need for anything but the two pockets on a pair of jeans or khakis.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you skin your fenix with a length of bicycle inner tube, I'm pretty sure it won't be falling out. I have a hard time getting mine in.

dustybuttonwb0.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I never intended to use the holster that came with my L2D-CE. I don't want to look like the guy with a bunch of stuff on his belt and headset stuck in his ear, but still wanted a way to carry it around with me everywhere I go. So, the pocket clip was the only way that I saw that I could do this. Looking around I didn't see any pocket clips for my L2D-CE, so, I made one my self. The link's in my signature. What I'm saying is not to make a pocket clip for yourself or buy a pre-made one, but fix something up for yourself to fit your needs. If you don't want to modify the holster that came with it; I sure there's a holster out there that would fit your fenix.

Speaking of clips.... the River Rock 1 watt, 1AA model (Made by Nuwai for RR) clearly shows that it would be no problem to put a wrap-around clip on a Fenix light. This is blatantly obvious when you look at the light. I can tell you from experience that Nuwai wrap-around clips work very well.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
Gee, I LIKE Fenix holsters. I carry an L2T V2.0 now, and in my job, I probably draw it 20+ times a day, working on the inside of various machines. I like the one-handed draw and return, without having to hold a flap open. The L2T is long enough, and held so firmly that I can't imagine it falling out.I like the slim, elegant look of this holster,too. Before this one, I carried a D-Mini, and while I liked the side pouch for carrying extra batteries, the velcro soon wore out on the flap, and won't stay shut now (still, the light never fell out). On close examination, most of the velcro "hooks" appear to have broken off.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
funny , my fenix holster works good on my L2D cE, doesnt need a flap, the light is very tight in it.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
First I saw the holster I would't trust it. But now my L1T is sitting on my duty belt and it works.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Speaking of clips.... the River Rock 1 watt, 1AA model (Made by Nuwai for RR) clearly shows that it would be no problem to put a wrap-around clip on a Fenix light. This is blatantly obvious when you look at the light. I can tell you from experience that Nuwai wrap-around clips work very well.
I have one of rayovac's 1 watt 2AA sportsman "xtreme". It came with a wrap around clip; one that bent up for about a centimeter and then back down and finally, near the end, bent outward slightly to make sliding over the pocket easier. I tried using the clip and even posted about it working in a thread I started asking about compatible pocket clips for fenix lights. It fits and will work, but after using it for a few days I took it off and decided to make my own. Using my spyderco centofante's clip as the goal I was working for; I started tinkering. Unlike the clip that was coming off I wanted something that was easier to get on yet just as secure. I wanted something that wouldn't stop and resist pocketing because of it's design. Anyway, I have no doubts that wrap-around clips work and work fine, but the one I got with my rayovac, while it does work, just doesn't cut IMO. I think that if it bent downward from the point it was fixed to the light and not up and then back down it would work much better. I also think that if it had a little bit more mass and that would also be beneficial.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have one of rayovac's 1 watt 2AA sportsman "xtreme". It came with a wrap around clip; one that bent up for about a centimeter and then back down and finally, near the end, bent outward slightly to make sliding over the pocket easier. I tried using the clip and even posted about it working in a thread I started asking about compatible pocket clips for fenix lights. It fits and will work, but after using it for a few days I took it off and decided to make my own. Using my spyderco centofante's clip as the goal I was working for; I started tinkering. Unlike the clip that was coming off I wanted something that was easier to get on yet just as secure....

I have the same light. Been EDCing it for the last few weeks. Never had a problem with the clip. It's tighter than any of the short clips on my Surefire lights.

democopy

Newly Enlightened
Anothor vote for the Fenix holsters, I've carried one now for 8 months, washed it once and looks brand new.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy I am outnumbered! I guess Fenix did their market research! People do seem to prefer the open tops.

I guess I should just look for a Ripoffs BL or CO 137...I think that is the right size.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
It may not be as much about preference as it is about having a choice. My first couple of Fenix lights came with flap holsters, and I'm still using one of those to EDC the L1D. The open top holsters that came with the newer lights are still sitting in the boxes or have been given away. Given the choice, I'd take the flap holster. Some people have said that they haven't had any problems with the open tops or clips, but it's not impossible to lose a light, especially with the single cells.

KuoH

Boy I am outnumbered! I guess Fenix did their market research! People do seem to prefer the open tops.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with Illumination's complaint. I used my P3D and P2D for two solid weeks diving in the sand, jumping over various crap, and abusing my lights in their holsters for two solid weeks in Camp Grayling, Mi. for annual training with the Army National Guard.

I would like to know what the in @#$& you do that would make you want a "better holster" and one with a flap. I was VERY cautious and stuck in disbelief before I went and even for the first few days at annual training, but after jumping out of a Black Hawk during a quick-insertion training carrying my M16 and Nikon D1X digital camera (I'm a photojournalist - and I do everyone else's job to do mine) with no empty hand to support my Fenix from falling out, I was appalled to see it still residing in its stock holster.

So, this would lead me to conclude that you again have fallen into the same trap of not testing out of product before you've commented. What I ask, have you done that it has fallen out? You'd have to be hanging in a cave with bats upside down or skydiving... if not one of those, I think you're pretty much safe.

Regards,
Ryan

P.S. My comment is aimed at the "My Fenix is going to fall out" argument and lends no additional thought to personal preference on protecting the light or what-have-you. That is a different story, and one that most people are also pretty safe on...

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know what the in @#$& you do that would make you want a "better holster" and one with a flap.

Please calm down...I have already conceded (post 14) that most people prefer (or are at least ok with) the open top holsters.

That said, the same holster with a top flap would clearly better prevent a light from falling out than the same holster without the flap. I would prefer to pay the extra 50 cents and carry the extra 10 grams to have faith that the light absolutely won't come out.

What I ask, have you done that it has fallen out?

I never said that a light did come out while I was using the holster - the holsters are pretty well made. But I never want to be in the back country at night, reach for my light and realize it has slipped out. It's not likely, but it is possible. That's all.

So, this would lead me to conclude that you again have fallen into the same trap of not testing out of product before you've commented.

Well, nope. I have several Fenix lights and will buy more in the future. Like them all, but not the holsters.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only compliant with the Fenix holsters is the durability. My P1D-CE's holster had some elastic band freying, and my P2D's holster pretty much failed as the elastic came unstitched from the holster material which would allow the light to easily slip out. I just stitched it back up with some heavy thread. I would like to see Fenix switch to a heavier thread and make sure their stitches are strong and locked in place.

Other than that I haven't had any issues with my Fenix lights falling out of their holsters when the holsters aren't falling apart. :)

DaddyCool

Newly Enlightened
Have to agree FliGuyRyan. The stock Fenix holsters hold the flashlight very fixated, sometimes it is even hard to press that light in (not out). Never happend to me and unlikely it will occur that my Fenix will slip out of that stock holster. Only crappy thing is the stock lanyard. That makes me really feel unsafe :shakehead

[Constraint: No durability tested:bumpit:]

Last edited:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Please calm down...I have already conceded (post 14) that most people prefer (or are at least ok with) the open top holsters.

That said, the same holster with a top flap would clearly better prevent a light from falling out than the same holster without the flap. I would prefer to pay the extra 50 cents and carry the extra 10 grams to have faith that the light absolutely won't come out.

I never said that a light did come out while I was using the holster - the holsters are pretty well made. But I never want to be in the back country at night, reach for my light and realize it has slipped out. It's not likely, but it is possible. That's all.

Well, nope. I have several Fenix lights and will buy more in the future. Like them all, but not the holsters.

Illumination,

I apologize for not making it clear that I wasn't breeding contempt for you or anything, lol, I was just making my point clear. I apologize if that seemed to attack you (wasn't meant to) :thinking:.

Anyhow, my point was in essence, was to ask you if you had ever had trouble with one falling out. Now that you have said you haven't, it clears it up a little, and good luck with your holster endeavors.

Ryan