storage of flashlight in auto

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
Relative to keeping an emergency flashlight in an auto year-round, and the rapid loss of capacity to flashlight batteries due to heat (especially during the summer or when parked in the sun), would the following help to protect the flashlight's batteries in that it would possibly diminish the problem with extreme heat? Wrap the flashlight and extra batteries in a soft sided ice chest and then stuff it in something like a 6 pack Coleman cooler (without ice) - and keep it in car or truck out of direct sunlight? (I'm talking about year round storage, for a flashlight that is kept in the car or truck just for emergencies.) I realize the coolers keep heat in, as well as out, but at least I thought it would keep the flashlight and batteries from heating up to 140 F on a summer day - and average out the car or truck's daily temperature as to the flashlight and its batteries ??

Last edited:
I have several LED flashlights in my cars. I don't think that heat and cold is an issue with most flashlights its the heat or cold that can be harsh on the batteries. I use E2 lithium batteries and have not had any problems with heat or cold. Alkalines can lack in cold and may leak when stored for long periods.

Use E2 lithiums for your car flashlights!

I keep an Inova T3 with 123 Li primaries in the glovebox of my small car throughout the Australian Summer without any problems.

I took my Big Jim out of the car to do some routine maintenance tonight.

The standard-duty zinc-carbon battery was made in July 2000, over seven years ago, and still delivers 5.5v at the bulb.

That's after six Australian summers, and six of what passes for winter here.

Maybe in the US, or countries that have a winter, this may be an issue, but I can categorically state that heat, provided the torch is not getting cooked on the dashboard, is a negligible factor.

The color (shade) of your car's paint makes a huge difference in the temp of your trunk. The trunk of our white car stays cool as a cucumber even on a very hot day in the sun. If the flashlight is emergency-use only, to be stored for long periods, I would spring for lithium cells if it is an AA flashlight. Next best I would suggest is a LSD NiMH recharged every year or after each emergency use. Don't think they make D cells in lithium. Maybe keep the light low in the trunk (heat rises) perhaps in the spare wheel well? The cooler idea can't hurt, if you have the space.

Wrap the flashlight and extra batteries in a soft sided ice chest and then stuff it in something like a 6 pack Coleman cooler (without ice) - and keep it in car or truck out of direct sunlight? (I'm talking about year round storage, for a flashlight that is kept in the car or truck just for emergencies.)

I do something similar, but I actually take the soft side cooler inside (with air conditioning) when I am not in the car.

Most coolers/ thermos slow down thermal heating/ cooling. The best would actually be a box with 6 inch concrete sides. Then the thermal mass would keep it cool (think adobe houses). But the concrete would eat up your gasoline.

Most marine emergency gear requires the replacement of alkaline batteries every year and the replacement of lithium batteries every 3 years. Just cycle your alkaline batteries from your trunk to an in house flashlight every year.
-wjb3