Ultrafire Rebel WF-R2 Pocket Rocket Mini Review

onthebeam

Enlightened
This is the side clicky version of Ultrafire's new CR123 Rebel light. The bottom clcky version is the WF-R1 and performs similarly. You'll find each for $30-35.

Ultrafire lists this light as hitting 200 lumens. That may be a bit optimistic. It's likely in the 120-130 lumen range, still enough to quality it as a tiny roarin' rocket. It's far brighter than my Fenix L1T 2.0 Rebel, and shorter too, due to the 123 battery size.

I like the interface. Click once on the firm side clicky to turn on and then a light press switches modes. This is a great outdoor light as it's always designed to come on at blazing high mode.

This light has nice side spill and a pronouced hot spot that really throws well. The only light I have that beats it is the two cell VB-16 fourth generation Seoul and that's not by much. Beam is clean and white with no artifacts, due to the orangepeel reflector.

Here are Ultrafire's stated lumens ratings and modes:

High: 200 Lumens / Medium: 50 Lumens / Low: 11 Lumens / Strobe / SOS

The fit and finish is of high quality and one nice extra touch is a built in unobtrusive clip that's removable if needed. It's a glossy black and tailstands nicely for candle mode.

One important note is that this version has a built in orangepeel reflector that keeps the beam smooth. All side clicky WF-R2 versions have the orangepeel. If you buy the rear clicky WF-R1 be careful you don't get one of the earler smooth reflectors or you'll notice ringyness and artifacts in the beam. Ultrafire says that all currently shipping units have the orangepeel.

The R2 only comes in black and the R1 is in black and a dark green, too. Ultrafire confirms that both lights are able to use both 3V and 3.6V RCR123A batteries but I've just used regular CR 123s so far. Despite the major blast of light, heat hasn't proven to be a problem in initial use.

Last edited:

Boom Stick

Newly Enlightened
That all sounds great, thanks for the review.

The one part that causes me major hesitation in purchasing this light is unknown runtime and regulation. Do you have any clue how well regulated it would be on a protected 16340? Or even the CR123's you've been using?

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

Btw, is this WF-R2 the same as the FMR1 that's available at DX and Kai?

supes

Enlightened
Cool review, onthebeam. I've been looking at this light, mainly because of its uncommon side clicky and 1 cell configuration. If it had a bezel carry down clip, it would be even better.

Did you get this from DX? Just want to know since, I haven't seen any reviews on there and that's where I would probably get it from.

onthebeam

Enlightened
That all sounds great, thanks for the review.

The one part that causes me major hesitation in purchasing this light is unknown runtime and regulation.

Worth testin'! Ultrafire describes as "Digital Regulated - Constant Brightness" but I haven't seen anything on runtimes. I use protected rechargeable R123s quite a bit so ultimately runtimes don't matter a great deal to me unless you get a super fast fade, of course. Since these new LEDS are so bright, i don't feel I need to run on high the whole time anyway, which really stretches battery time compared to single stage lights.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the light over at the Marketplace. Other than digs at the earlier smooth reflector, early users don't seem to find majorcomplaints. Some love that the light always returns to high the next time you use it, some do not.

Some pix here too:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=167669

Last edited:

gl22man

Enlightened
You'll find some in the link in the post above yours. Not aware of any beamshot tests out there yet.

not sure about you but this is what i get when i click the link --> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1192793 bytes) in /var/www/vhosts/cpfmarketplace.com/httpdocs/mp/includes/functions.php on line 4994
so maybe you can post those pics. that your talking about for the ones who can't see them.
Thanks
Mike..

onthebeam

Enlightened
not sure about you but this is what i get when i click the link --> Fatal error: . . .
so maybe you can post those pics. that your talking about for the ones who can't see them.
Thanks
Mike..

I checked the link and it's working fine on my computer. The reason I don't copy and paste pix is for copyright reasons. Those pics belong to the owner and shouldn't be copied, even casually, and especiallly for publication, without permission. Sorry, if the schedule wasn't so jammed I'd snap a couple myself. If you still can't open the link, you can go over to the Markeplace and do a search to find the thread. It's called "UltraFire Luxeon Rebel LED Flashlight WF-R1." I have to admit that I miss when CPF was all on one forum.

It's a cool new Rebel at a roughly $30-35 price. I'm surprised it's not getting that much attention at present.

Last edited:

Newf-llb

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in the runtime and regulation as well. I read it is fully regulated, yet I'm sure I saw on another post that it was anything but. Anyone have anything definitive on this?:shrug:

Newf-llb

Newly Enlightened
Shoot. Just bought one. Certainly not what I would call "constant regulation" despite what is being claimed. I guess it pays to wait for a review or two before you pull the trigger and buy.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looks like it has a flupic type circuit, with high really a "burst mode" and direct drive. The other two levels look like PWM outputs.

Bill

phosphor

Enlightened
Shoot. Just bought one. Certainly not what I would call "constant regulation" despite what is being claimed. I guess it pays to wait for a review or two before you pull the trigger and buy.
......another case of "you get what you pay for." I'm not suggesting that these lights aren't a good buy, won't hold up, or serve one well for general use. However, for such a small sum I think it's unrealistic to expect the "whole shebang."

I'm following the thread over in the "Manufacturers" sub-forum, introducing JETBeam's new offerings along with their promise of a renewed commitment to good customer service. There seems to be some expectations that the new "clicky" CL-E will have flawless HA III, fully anodized threads, perfect function, and a lifetime warranty.....shipping included.....for $32. It ain't gonna happen ! By and large, and there are exceptions to every caveat, for a bargain price one should anticipate at least a few "idiosyncrasies". Again, that doesn't make for a "bad" light. However, understanding this helps to "inform" one's expectations......and prepare one for the "short-comings" that accompany the purchase of an inexpensive light.

Of course a $70 light can present "issues", too. Its all rather relative, isn't it ?

Just my insignificant 2 cents.

- regards

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
onthebeam, could you do me a favour please and give me the measures of the slots on the side of the body? I ask myself if one of barts big white tritium bars could fit.

Thanks in advance
Eric

onthebeam

Enlightened
......another case of "you get what you pay for." I'm not suggesting that these lights aren't a good buy, won't hold up, or serve one well for general use. However, for such a small sum I think it's unrealistic to expect the "whole shebang."

I'm following the thread over in the "Manufacturers" sub-forum, introducing JETBeam's new offerings along with their promise of a renewed commitment to good customer service. There seems to be some expectations that the new "clicky" CL-E will have flawless HA III, fully anodized threads, perfect function, and a lifetime warranty.....shipping included.....for $32. It ain't gonna happen ! By and large, and there are exceptions to every caveat, for a bargain price one should anticipate at least a few "idiosyncrasies". Again, that doesn't make for a "bad" light. However, understanding this helps to "inform" one's expectations......and prepare one for the "short-comings" that accompany the purchase of an inexpensive light.

Of course a $70 light can present "issues", too. Its all rather relative, isn't it ?

Just my insignificant 2 cents.

- regards

Well said!

onthebeam

Enlightened
onthebeam, could you do me a favour please and give me the measures of the slots on the side of the body? I ask myself if one of barts big white tritium bars could fit.

Thanks in advance
Eric

That's a great idea. Let me know what you learn. The vertical slots toward the tail are 22mm deep before the tip slopes in. The width is about 2.5mm, or slightly more. There is also a slight slope down and the overall width is 3mm.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the measures!

I can´t measure the tritium bar very good because I don´t have a caliper, but it is about 21.2mm long, about 2.3mm wide and the depth is about 1.1mm. So it might fit the R2´s slots and would double it´s value ;)

Now I´m tempted to get the R2 just to install the tritium to finally use it :)

Eric

onthebeam

Enlightened
Thank you for the measures!

I can´t measure the tritium bar very good because I don´t have a caliper, but it is about 21.2mm long, about 2.3mm wide and the depth is about 1.1mm. So it might fit the R2´s slots and would double it´s value ;)

Now I´m tempted to get the R2 just to install the tritium to finally use it :)

Eric
I find lights that have tritium are the most useful, too. Keep in mind that this one will always come on at high mode. So, for me, it's not the best nightstand light. I'll use it outside where I want small and light to carry but with terrific throw.

Latest posts