Surefire 6P bored for 18650 lithiums/Cree

Ledean

Enlightened
Surefire bored out to take 18650 batteries.
Using this cheap module from kaidomain

Works pretty good and bright for somethig so cheap. My friend is delighted with it. He is most happy that he need not spend money on batteries.
dsc000701zt0.jpg

dsc00071wk3.jpg

dsc00076jl3.jpg

Last edited:

frosty

Enlightened
I have been thinking about doing this on my 6P, but I'm not too sure how best to go about it.

I have a dremel and have considered using this, but I'm not confident that I could do as good a job as yours.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emm using a dremel would be the easiest, only problem I see is controlling the tool from one end to the other end.....

frosty

Enlightened
You are right about that.

I tried enlarging a reflector with a hand drill and grinding stone. In no time at all the bulb opening was way off centre and making its way towards the side of the reflector!:sick2:

Ledean

Enlightened
Controlling the vibration would be a problem without a lathe.
One of the best methods to do by hand would be to take a round wooden ,cover it with sandpaper and slowly scrape the inside of the body. It works but takes a while . Clamp down the flashlight to reduce the vibration.
Ledean

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the best methods to do by hand would be to take a round wooden ,cover it with sandpaper and slowly scrape the inside of the body.

This is not too bad of a non-lathe way to do it. WD-40 is a suitable cutting fluid for aluminum (so don't be cheap with it). Just don't forget to start using finer grit papers well before you reach your final diameter for a smooth finish without blowing the diameter out too much.

Having said that, it's a five-minute job on a lathe. I'm always open to CPFers PMing me for help boring their Surefire lights.

Ledean

Enlightened
On a lathe it is certainly much faster than doing it by hand. I hav'nt tried it the slow way .
It might take an hour to do it by hand