Dereelight CL1H V3.0 Review! Picture Heavy.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
After getting a CL1H v2.0 and various modules I was excited to hear about a CL1H v3.0. Now, normally one might be annoyed that they bought a light only to have an improved version come out, but I was actually excited because I have extra modules so now I have another great host for them! As easy as it is to change modules and reflectors with Dereelight's system I thought it would be nice to have my v2.0 set up with an OP reflector and the 5-stage module, and the v3.0 set up with a 3-stage module and a SMO reflector. Of course I can re-configure them any which way any time I want.

At first glance it's not much different than the CL1H v2.0. Upon closer inspection it appears to be finished nicer than my v2.0, but only slightly since the v2.0 is also very well finished.

The real changes are on the inside. My one concern with the v2.0 was the thin o-rings. The v3.0 has thicker o-rings, and more of them! Like the DBS there are two o-rings at each connection, and one around the glass lens. I think this is the same on the v2.0, but there is a plastic (teflon?) threaded retaining ring that holds the tailcap in place. This should great a good seal for the tailcap, which on some lights is usualy the weak link where water enters. This light should be very water tight! If it feel into a bucket of water I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Operation is the same as the v2.0 and DBS. Forward clicky tail switch, momentary on, twist the body and head to change modes with the 2-stage pill installed, etc.

Also heat sinking should be improved as the pill fits snuggly into the base of the head. At first I thought I had to unscrew the pill from the head, but I just had to give it a harder pull with the reflector screwed in and it popped right out.

Included with the light are spare o-rings, a spare switch (just incase), and a lanyard. Of course it all comes in the regular Dereelight black box that is a nice way to store everything. Of course mine is stored in my pocket, night table, etc. :)

Enough talk, time for some pictures! As always, you can click on each image to view a larger version, and you can zoom in more when you view the images on Google's Picasa web album site. This is where I turn into a copy and paste zombie:

Here's how things look when you open the box! Always a fun box to open!

Here's the light, looks familiar if you have a v2.0. The notches around the bezel's front, side, and the notches around the base of the head where it meets the body are a bit smaller than v2.0:

Another view, showing the clip. The clip is removeable, but I REALLY like this clip. I keep the light clipped in my left front pocket, and even in semi-tight jeans it's comfortable. You can even clip it on the outside of your pocket and light the ground around you. Did this once (v2.0) when nature called and I had to enter a dark porta-potty and it worked a little too well. I never want to see a porta-potty pit light up like that again. :sick2:

Side view. The "Dereelight" logo, model #, ser# look a bit nicer on the V3.0. The finish on this is flawless from what I can see. It feels great in the hand, and the clip's ring helps secure my grip on the light.

Closer shot to show more detail:

I currently have the 3-stage Q4 module installed (Have 3-stage Q5's on order), with a SMO reflector. You can actualy see a bit of me and my digital camera in the reflector. :)

Close up view of the bezel, sorry for the bits of dirt on the white background, I might take them out later in Photoshop. :)

Just a fun shot of the Cree Q4:

Picture of the tailcap, GITD tail switch cover installed. Tail switch cover can be replaced with a low profile black to allow the light to tailstand!

Here we have the head/bezel, body, and tailcap seperated. Notice the double black o-rings on each end of the body! Like the other Dereelights, nice deep threads. Mine came smooth, but I clean and re-lube just to be sure. I put a little Nylogel on the o-rings.

Going bigger with this one, hope it doesn't mess up anyone's browser. This is the CL1H with the head apart as well. You have the bezel, the protective glass window is secured in place with a threaded retaining ring and an o-ring infront of the glass to seal it. Notice the double o-rings on the head where the bezel screws onto. I coated these with Nylogel as well. The 3-stage module is on the far right with the SMO reflector attached the brass pill. I like the way Dereelight is now labeling their pills. I made the mistake of putting my 2-stage in, thinking it was the 5-stage, and I had the battery oriented for the 5-stage and quicky fried the 2-stage. Glad it's the cheapest of the bunch, so I quickly ordered a replacement. Of course it was my mistake, so I purhased a new one and didn't try to get it repaced.

This is the inside of the base of the head. This is where the pill and reflector sit inside. With the V3.0 the pill makes a snug fit into the base to improve heat syncing.

Close up of the CL1H's head.

Close up of the bezel:

Close up of the inside of the bezel.

May have to re-shoot this one, the top treads are a bit out of focus! :faint: Close up of the body tube:

Inside of the battery tube. Dereelight added a longer spring to improve contact.

Here is the 3-stage WC Q4 module (pill and reflector). There were soe issues with the early 3-stage pills, but Dereelight has found the issue and corrected it. The new pills will be Q5's!

This is looking into the head with the pill installed.

That's it for pictures for now. I don't have beam shots yet, but they would be the same as the CL1H V2.0. I will take beam shots when I get a Q5 pill. :) I will probably add some other pictures of the CL1H V3.0 out and about. If anyone wants me to photograph any specific parts, let m know. I should add shots of the inide of the tail cap, such as shots of the switch, etc.

I love my CL1H v2.0 so I love the v3.0 as well knowing it has had improvements made to the seals, heat syncing, and contacts.

Alan at Dereelight apprecaites feed back on his products and is always doing what he can to improve on them. I think at this point some people would like to see improvements made with the switch. I love the way the switch operates, but some question the reliability, longevity, and some may have experienced some problems. Dereelght has been including spare switches incase someone has a problem.

I wouldn't let the switch issue stop me from buying the light and enjoying it. I know if a better switch becomes available it's as easy as replacing the switch that's in the tailcap, or just purchasing a new tailcap with the new switch.

I have the CL1H v2.0, v3.0 and a DBS and they all use the same switch. All of mine have been working fine.

BTW, the 3-stage module only works with 18650's. I use AW's protected 18650's.

That's all for now. Questions welcome.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Careful Wade, you'll gain a reputation as the best Reviewer on CPF. :)

Does the wire clip seem sturdy? Is it securly attached?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful Wade, you'll gain a reputation as the best Reviewer on CPF. :)

Does the wire clip seem sturdy? Is it securly attached?

Best reviewer on CPF? Nah! :) I may put up nice pics, but there are plenty of guys giving us great run time charts, other technical data, etc. I'm happy to provide what info and images I can and hope to see more info from others with the means to provide it.

The wire clip is VERY sturdy. It's heavy duty for sure.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As usual, excellent review and beautiful photography! :twothumbs When do you expect the Q5 pill?

Not sure. Alan may still be waiting on Q5's. Once he gets them I assume it would be a week or two before I'd have one in hand. I'm sure he'll keep us updated when they become available.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Best reviewer on CPF? Nah! :) I may put up nice pics, but there are plenty of guys giving us great run time charts, other technical data, etc. I'm happy to provide what info and images I can and hope to see more info from others with the means to provide it.

The wire clip is VERY sturdy. It's heavy duty for sure.

I'm a simple man.... I just need to be told what the runtime is, what the lumens numbers are, (hopefully Out the Front) and I'm happy as far as technical info. goes. But a nice, richly detailed pic and a couple of beam shots is often enough to make for a great review on CPF. So when a certain someone gives us more richly detailed pics.... :twothumbs

Thanks to you and MikeLip for the answer about the pocket clip. A sturdy clip is one of the main things I look for in a potential purchase.

Also, thanks for letting us know one of the hidden advantages of bezel-down carry! :lolsign:

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF,

How do you take such amazing pictures? I have a relatively outdated Canon 4 megapixel so I doubt I could even come close to what you are doing, but maybe their is something that would help a little for up close pics like the ones you take.

Back on topic...I have a CL1H V3.0 on route to me hopefully sometime this week (knock on wood). I'm going to be doing a corn maze next Friday night and the CL1H would really rock for that! It will be my first Dereelight but I'm sure I'll love it consider all the praise it has received around here.

Another great review. Keep up the good work! :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to you and MikeLip for the answer about the pocket clip. A sturdy clip is one of the main things I look for in a potential purchase.

I know you like lights with clips. I wish I had more Surefires in my collection so I could give more comparisions as far as size, etc. Not sure if the CL1H is larger than what you are used to carrying around. I will say the 18650's are great. If you get a CL1H be sure to get a couple protected 18650's (so you have a spare) from AW an a charger and you should be good to go. :)

If you're still on the fence wait until I get the 3-stage Q5 pill and I will do indoor and outdoor beam shots, take light readings, etc.

The 5-stage with SMO reflector already has impressive throw. I can spot things at 500 feet no problem, and faintly light up trees at 600-700 feet. Some thing more reflecive than a tree would probably light up fairly well at 600-700 feet, such as someone in light clothing. Of course the DBS would be better for the 600+ range. :)

The CL1H 3-stage Q5 with OP would make a great general use light. It should throw 400-500 feet, and give a lot of light for closer range, like sweeping rooms, etc.

I'm just noticing this now, the v3.0 maybe a tad shorterthan v2.0. Maybe just be due to the way things are screwed together.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be doing a corn maze next Friday night and the CL1H would really rock for that! It will be my first Dereelight but I'm sure I'll love it consider all the praise it has received around here.

Which module did you get? I'm sure you'll love it. They might accuse you of cheating when they see that thing going around the corn maze! :p If you get lost or stuck in the maze just put it on strobe and be like "HELP! I'm over where it looks like a UFO is landing!" :)

What batteries will you be using?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know you like lights with clips. I wish I had more Surefires in my collection so I could give more comparisions as far as size, etc. Not sure if the CL1H is larger than what you are used to carrying around. I will say the 18650's are great. If you get a CL1H be sure to get a couple protected 18650's (so you have a spare) from AW and a charger and you should be good to go. :)

If you're still on the fence wait until I get the 3-stage Q5 pill and I will do indoor and outdoor beam shots, take light readings, etc.

Normally I EDC my L4 or similiar-sized lights. Used to EDC a C2 (SF 6P with a clip and rubberized ring). I also have an L5. Probably the largest of my clip-carried lights. The bezel is huge! Still, not a problem to carry. I doubt the CL1H is bigger than my L5. Already have the charger, from Ultrafire. And a couple of protected Ultrafire 18650s. But I know those batteries aren't top of the line.

Yeah, I'm still on the fence.... but I have a feeling you might put an end to that. :grin2:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF,

How do you take such amazing pictures? I have a relatively outdated Canon 4 megapixel so I doubt I could even come close to what you are doing, but maybe their is something that would help a little for up close pics like the ones you take.

Forgot to respond to this. With photograhy one of the biggest challenges, and most important things, is lighting. You can have a 25 megapixel camera and if you have bad lighting, the pictures won't look good. With a 4MP camera, if you have good lighting, you can have great pictures.

I have been playing with some old studio strobes (2 flashes powered by a power pack) I have ha fo awhile. I have a softbox over the one, the other boncing off an umbrella and then through a diffuser. I have the light in a 3 sided box I made from white poster board, and a piece of white for the base. My goal was to try and get diffused, even lighting all around the light. I'm no lighting expert, but I know enough to get decent results.

You can try playing with white cards (I like the white foam board they sell at craft stores, comes in big pieces, stays flat). If you don't have fancy lighting the sun can work. An over cast day is best if you can't put diffuser up. Use the white boards to bounce the light around. You can place the light on whatever scenery you want. I like the all white set up because it makes for a clean picture that keeps the focus on the light.

My camera has manual settings so I can lock in the ISO to the lowest setting, shoot with the highest resolution, best quality mode, etc. Using a tripod can help, using macro mode if you are close, locking the white balance or taking a manual white balance can improve color accuracy.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm still on the fence.... but I have a feeling you might put an end to that. :grin2:

The nice thing with these lights is their upgradeable. If Dereelight offers an improve tail switch, it would be a matter of ordering just that piece, and it would probably be pretty cheap. As new modules come out you can upgrade for a fraction of the cost of a new light, etc.

Any ideas for pictures?

You should just take a trip down here and we can take some beam shots of your lights and my lights. Haha.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Any ideas for pictures?

You should just take a trip down here and we can take some beam shots of your lights and my lights. Haha.

I'm thinking beam shots, mostly. Perhaps next to your E2e and modded G2?

An apples to oranges comparison to be sure, but that would still help.

I might take you up on that offer someday. :)

Current work schedule a problem. And I'd have to figure out how I'd get all my lights down to PA. Not all my lights are clip-carried. :crackup:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which module did you get? I'm sure you'll love it. They might accuse you of cheating when they see that thing going around the corn maze! :p If you get lost or stuck in the maze just put it on strobe and be like "HELP! I'm over where it looks like a UFO is landing!" :)

What batteries will you be using?

LOL. To think my brother and I joked around about bringing the Sam's Club HID. :crackup:
I went last year and people were seriously impressed by the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon (this was before Cree's afterall), considering most of them were carrying $1 Everready's.
I bought the 2 stage Q2 module. I know it's not the brightest module but it's bright enough for me and I love how how my L2T works and this one operates the same way.
I'll be using a protected 18650 from AW that I just purchased last week.

Thanks for the lesson on photography. I'm a real rookie so I doubt I'll be taking pics that even resemble yours anytime soon. :laughing: I take decent indoor real life beamshots which people seem to like so I guess I'll stop at that. Keep up the awesome work and I'll post back when my CL1H arrives. :)

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wade, do you still have the fried 2 stage pill? Pm....I'll gladly buy it and replace the driver.

I have the 5 stage...and don't care for the tint...I have a 3 stage on the way.

I'd like a one stage.

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
WadeF: Thanks much, great job!!
Q:(and my apologies if this has been answered before!:candle:)

On my CH1L, my pill is unmarked, the o-rings are gray and there is one o-ring in each location. Serial Number is DR070207, with a picture of proper battery orientation engraved. It is a 2 mode; SMO.
(I love it BTW!)

How can I tell whether it is V.1, or V.2? Can I drop in a Q5 pill when available?

Am I right in assuming it is a V.1, Q2 because the pill is unmarked?

Many thanks!:thumbsup:

(BTW, did I mention what a great light this is?:))

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
Terrific review and photography - thank you!
I like the way Dereelight is now labeling their pills. I made the mistake of putting my 2-stage in, thinking it was the 5-stage, and I had the battery oriented for the 5-stage and quicky fried the 2-stage. Glad it's the cheapest of the bunch, so I quickly ordered a replacement. Of course it was my mistake, so I purhased a new one and didn't try to get it repaced.
Whoa!

How do we know which way to put in the battery? I have a V3 coming and don't want to fry it for breakfast...

bspofford

Enlightened
Nice review. I recently got the DBS 3-mode Q4 thrower, and I have to get this new CL1H v3. Looks like this is going to be my favorite general purpose light. I'm going to order one ASAP!

Latest posts