*LOWE'S CREE*Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light & Inspection Light REVIEW!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I got my hands on the both the Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light and the Energizer Hard Case Inspection Light. Both lights were purchased from Lowe's. Here is some information on them:

Energizer Hard Case Swivel: Model #288212 $34.97
Energizer Hard Case Inspection: Model #288211 $ 14.97

Energizer Hard Case Inspection

FUNCTION
The light has one level of output. It has a side reverse clickie switch which is pretty stiff and may be hard to click for some (elderly).

OUTPUT
The output of this light is pretty nice for a under $15 light purchased from a retail store. The beam is rather odd since the head of the light obstructs part of the spill so it isn't a complete circle. This doesn't bother me in real world use but I thought it should be mentioned. Here are some readings I took with my Lux meter:

250 Lux, 12.4 Spill, 1.6 Overall

Here is a beamshot which looks pretty much just like what I see in real life.
IMG_1115small.jpg

SIZE/WEIGHT
The light is rather small compared to the average light but larger than most 2AAA lights since it has a rugged overbuilt body. It weighs in at 2.6oz or 75 grams. Here is a pic compared to the Maglite Minimag.
IMG_1119small.jpg

PACKAGING
Here is a pic of the packaging if you are looking for it at your local Lowes.
IMG_1124small.jpg

ENERGIZER HARD CASE 4 LED SWIVEL LIGHT

FUNCTION
This light pretty damn hi tech! It has two reverse clickie switches on the side of the light.
The switch closest to the head is for the red and green LED's. The first click turns on the two red LED's and the second click turns the red LED's off and turns the green LED on.
The other switch if for the main beam. The first click turns it on in its high setting. If you click the switch again it goes to the low setting. This light uses a Cree LED (as does the Inspection light) which is pretty bright for an average retail store light.

OUTPUT
The output of the main beam on high is pretty good, but it still rather dim for a light using the Cree emitter. Here are some readings I took with my Lux meter:

Main High:
1,700 Lux, 193 Overall
Main Low:
640 Lux, 82 Overall
Red LED:
21 Overall
Green LED:
9 Overall

Here are some beamshots of the light in all modes. First is main high, second is main low, third is red, fourth is green.
IMG_1110small.jpg

IMG_1111small.jpg

IMG_1112small.jpg

IMG_1113small.jpg

SIZE/WEIGHT
For a 2AA light this light is very large. Mostly due to the fact that they made it very rugged with the clip and the two side clickies add quite a bit of length. It weighs in at 8.3oz or 237 grams. Here is a pic compared to the Maglite Minimag.
IMG_1121small.jpg

PACKAGING
Here is a pic of the packaging if you are looking for it at your local Lowes.
IMG_1123small.jpg

I would highly recommend the 4 LED Swivel light to any flashaholic since it is very different from most lights on the market. It also has the ability to have a very low red LED come on first, or a bright main beam come on first.
I recommend the Inspection light as a gift to a non flashaholic. The output isn't enough for most members on this site but would impress the average person who hadn't seen a high power Cree based light. I have to add that I wouldn't buy it for a older person who could have trouble with the stiff clickie.
Both of these lights are very very nice for the price and are really pushing the envelope for other mass market retail store lights. I hope other major manufacturers follow suit and come out with something comparable (Streamlight & Maglite are you listening???).

*UPDATE*
I called Energizer today and asked them about this light. The lady didn't even know it existed until she checked for a few minutes. I was calling in regard to using Energizer Lithium AA cells in the light. She said that it was fine to use them, but they wouldn't give me 7 times the performance as Alkaline cells (really.... LOL) so it was up to me if it was worth it or not since they are rather expensive.
Either way I did some testing with two Energizer Lithium cells a few minutes ago, and here is the info compared to using two Energizer Alkaline cells. The numbers listed below were taken from my home made light box. They don't really mean anything in terms of total output but they do give a direct comparison between lights.

4 LED Swivel:

Energizer Alkaline:
Cree High = 193
Cree Low = 82
Green = 21
Red = 9

Energizer Lithium:
Cree High = 198
Cree Low = 72
Green = 21
Red = 9

I'm not really sure why the light is brighter with two Alkaline cells in the Low mode. Beats me?
The light also weighs 7.7 ounces with the two Lithiums compared to 8.3 with two Alkalines.

Inspection Light:

Energizer Alkaline:

Energizer Lithium:

The light weights 2.3 ounches with two Lithiums compared to 2.6 ounces with two Alkalines.

Last edited:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Re: Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light & Inspection Light REVIEW! Beamshots/Outpu

Nice review, adirondackdestroyer! :thumbsup:

(For some reason, I am not seeing your pics, though.. ;) )

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light & Inspection Light REVIEW! Beamshots/Outpu

Nice review, adirondackdestroyer! :thumbsup:

(For some reason, I am not seeing your pics, though.. ;) )

Hmmm...I've never had anyone say that before. I have no clue why you can't see them.
Are the pics working for everyone else?

lumenal

Enlightened

Thanks for the review, AD. Very nice.

And yes, I can see your pictures fine...

Did you find these lights in the Lowes flashlight section up by the cash registers?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review, AD. Very nice.

And yes, I can see your pictures fine...

Did you find these lights in the Lowes flashlight section up by the cash registers?

Good. I was wondering if I did something different from the last time I posted pics.

Yep. They were right up front near the checkout in the Flashlight section right beside each other.
Thanks for the kind words.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

I see your pics now.

I had to close my main web browser (Opera), open IE, and use it in order to actually see them... ;)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see your pics now.

I had to close my main web browser (Opera), open IE, and use it in order to actually see them... ;)

Ok good! :grin2: I'm glad you like them.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review and pics! Something about these hardcase lights warm my heart. After getting rid of most of my older gen. cree lights for Q5's, I still just Really like my little 3 5mm led hardcase AA light I bought for $12.

Thats the highest praise I can give these lights. When a flashaholic puts down his $150.00 cree light to play with something much less bright and expensive, and it still puts a grin on his face...its a good light.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

Is the reflector on the Swivel Head smooth or textured?

And, do you own any lights whose output you would compare to when using the Swivel on high?

:)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *LOWE'S CREE*Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light & Inspection Light REVIEW!

"Thanks for the review and pics! Something about these hardcase lights warm my heart. After getting rid of most of my older gen. cree lights for Q5's, I still just Really like my little 3 5mm led hardcase AA light I bought for $12.

Thats the highest praise I can give these lights. When a flashaholic puts down his $150.00 cree light to play with something much less bright and expensive, and it still puts a grin on his face...its a good light."

No problem, I'm glad you like it. :)
For some strange reason I really like the feel of these lights too! I also have a 2AA Hardcase that uses 1 5mm LED which I like quite a bit too. You'll love these two if you already like the Hard Case line!

"Is the reflector on the Swivel Head smooth or textured?"
Smooth

And, do you own any lights whose output you would compare to when using the Swivel on high?
I'll do some more testing tonight so I can give you a real answer and not just guess. The swivel is bright on high but not blinding for a cree.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Re: *LOWE'S CREE*Energizer Hard Case 4 LED Swivel Light & Inspection Light REVIEW!

Runtime?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally don't have the tools or know how to do a quality runtime graph so I don't.
The package of the 4 LED Swivel Light says 4 hour runtime right on front, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. The Inspection light doesn't mention runtime anywhere on the package.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

*Stupid question warning*

How do you insert the batteries in the Swivel version? Does the bottom pop off, or does it unscrew in some fashion? :thinking:

Marduke

Flashaholic

*Stupid question warning*

How do you insert the batteries in the Swivel version? Does the bottom pop off, or does it unscrew in some fashion? :thinking:

Bottom unscrews, as does most of their Hard Case lights.

supes

Enlightened

Cool review, adirondackdestroyer! Looks like you got a nice one with a nice beam! Mine has several rings but I guess that's the sacrifice for the smooth reflector. I don't like the bluish tint, already thinking of putting in something better(Q5??). I really like the swivel head with it being able to point towards the ground when you clip to the pants' belt.

Schuey2002,

You screw the bottom piece and you insert the AA batteries positive(+) into the light towards head, negative(-) facing towards bottom body.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

Just after I posted, I stumbled upon this pic by deeuubee ... :eek:

PB130369.JPG

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool review, adirondackdestroyer! Looks like you got a nice one with a nice beam! Mine has several rings but I guess that's the sacrifice for the smooth reflector. I don't like the bluish tint, already thinking of putting in something better(Q5??). I really like the swivel head with it being able to point towards the ground when you clip to the pants' belt.

Schuey2002,

You screw the bottom piece and you insert the AA batteries positive(+) into the light towards head, negative(-) facing towards bottom body.

Thanks for the kind words Supes. The beam on my 4 LED Swivel Head is pretty damn nice. Very little if any noticable rings around the hotspot. The Inspection light however does have some pretty noticable rings similar to most smooth reflector Cree based lights. Not all that bad but if you're looking for them they're there.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up one of each of these at Lowe's (Sunnyvale) today.

2xAAA Inspection Light

I think that I like the 2xAAA Inspection Light more overall, given its brightness/size ratio, simplicity, and price. The major drawback that I've found so far is the switch, which is small and somewhat difficult to operate with the thumb.

This light probably produces 20 lumens out the front. The Cree LED w/ smooth reflector causes the usual white wall artifacts. The overhanging bezel shroud cuts off a small amount of the spill beam near the top.

2xAA 4 LED Swivel Light

The 2xAA, 4 LED light has two buttons that allow you to operate the white (Cree) levels and the red/green (5 mm) levels independently. One advantage is that you don't have to cycle through the green and red LEDs just to use the white beam. You can also use the red LEDs along with the white at close distances, in order to get better color rendition.

One drawback is that this light is nowhere near as bright as advertised (80 lumens); its high level has slightly less output than my Luxeon McLux III PD and is therefore probably around 35 lumens. The bezel shroud also cuts off a fairly large section of the spill beam along the sides and bottom.

The position of the two buttons on the 4xAA light makes it natural to use this light with the head in the right angle position. I only wish that they had put the button for the main Cree beam first from the top--under the user's index finger--rather than second like they actually did.

General

Both of these lights lack a good thermal path from the Cree LEDs to the exterior of the flashlight. Given the low drive levels, this absence may not matter.

The tint lottery is in effect, as usual. My 2xAAA light has a warm, almost greenish tint. My 2xAA Swivel Light has a strongly bluish tint.

Schuey2002

Enlightened

Thanks for the kind words Supes. The beam on my 4 LED Swivel Head is pretty damn nice. Very little if any noticable rings around the hotspot. The Inspection light however does have some pretty noticable rings similar to most smooth reflector Cree based lights. Not all that bad but if you're looking for them they're there.
While I see that you have already mentioned its lux numbers, and posted indoor shots. I was wondering, have you had a chance to test take this light outside and test its throw in the great outdoors? :grin2:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've now added info using Energizer Lithium cells for both lights. Enjoy.

Last edited: