best batteries for a Fenix P3D Q5...

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
haven't found a thread on this yet so i thought i'd ask. i currently use AW RCR123s for my P3D Q5 and couldn't be happier with the performance. i jumped right in with them and haven't used anything since. didn't know if i could use anything like the 17670 or anything and get nearly the same usage time. any ideas would be awesome. thx guys!

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
thx for the response... gonna check it out!

EDIT = so it is that primaries work best for the light. one thing is i use my light EVERY day and paying for these bad boys would seem to get VERY expensive very quickly. anyway, since i jumped right in with the rechargeables, i don't have any room for comparison so i don't know what i'm missing. i do know that if i have to go camping or something and i'll be without access to my charger, i'll throw in the primaries and hopefully be set for the trip. anyone else agree?

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
Yup, that's pretty much it.
The 18650 is the absolutely best battery for everyday use because of the economy, but it's always nice to be able to pop in some CR123's for when you can't be around a charging situation like camping.

Perhaps the best of both worlds might be to have a couple extra fully charged 18650's in addition to one in the flashlight, and take those plus some CR123's with you.

More than likely, those three 18650's will take you through your entire camping trip, but if not, you have the CR123's to fall back on.

There's always a "plan" for everything. You just have to remember where you left it. :)

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
lol... true that zen...
gonna see if i can't pick up some 18s today, who knows though... will post later.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the 18650's fit a p3d? Also if the Vf of the LED is high on your unit the runtime would suffer or you would not have access to the turbo modes being as bright.

mdocod

Flashaholic
18650s don't fit, and the P3D won't really run in proper regulation on a 17670. the P3D has no ideal rechargeable solution. Amazing the P3D has been such a big seller with this major pitfall.... The question of what rechargeable option to use in the P3D is asked in one form or another almost every day in this section. Every day I I question why this light sells so well when there are so many other lights that run on economical power dense 18650 cells. Just to name a couple, the CL1H by DereeLight, and the LumaPower M1.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use protected AW RCR-123s when I don't need lower output modes, and AW LiFePO4s when I do. I measured 67 minutes run time with the RCR-123s and 41 minutes with LiFePO4s in the maximum output mode.

c_c

j3bnl

Enlightened
I use protected AW RCR-123s when I don't need lower output modes, and AW LiFePO4s when I do. I measured 67 minutes run time with the RCR-123s and 41 minutes with LiFePO4s in the maximum output mode.

c_c

A bit confused here, you say you use the AW's when you dont need lower output modes why?
They work fine on all modes in my P3D Q5.

medicmerlynn stick to the AW's and if you are away camping and dont have access to the charger stick a couple of primaries in your bag.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit confused here, you say you use the AW's when you dont need lower output modes why?
They work fine on all modes in my P3D Q5. . .
Sorry, you're right, the P3D works fine on all modes with the regular Li-ion RCR123 cells. It's the P2D that doesn't give you the low modes unless you use a lower voltage cell.

c_c

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
j3bnl, preciate the info... trevor from fenixstore sold me on them too and that's why i'm using them... the run times seem to be very generous to me right now... 1 recharge after owning the P3D for 2 weeks certainly isn't bad in my book... i really appreciate the light and HIGHLY recommend to everyone i talk to. just didn't know if there was a 'better' batt to run in them since i didn't have access to testing... thx again for the response!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
So two RCR123 cells are OK and won't invalidate the Fenix warranty?

In another thread a three cell tube option was mentioned for the P3D. I didn't see it at the Fenix Store site. Does this mean the circuit will withstand 9+ volts? Thanks for any feedback.

The P3D will be my first flashlight purchase since last December. That's a first since joining the CPF four years ago. I was beginning to feel guilty for NOT buying a light all year. It'll be my first Cree LED to boot.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
the P3D has no ideal rechargeable solution. Amazing the P3D has been such a big seller with this major pitfall....

I use rechargeable AW ICR123 cells, I haven't noticed any problems. Am I not getting the performance I should be getting?
edit: Ok, so I looked at the graphs and see that the runtimes suffer with the rechargeable RCR123 cells. For me this is not an issue as I would never come close to the limiting runtime for my configuration before I have an opportunity to recharge. If I require longer runtimes for usage outside of my norm, I'll have to remember to toss in some primaries.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
An unexpected change when I tried a pair of 4.2v RCR123 cells in my P3D was the lowest level was reduced. I prefer this lower low. Anyone else get a lower low with Li-Ions?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a two P3D system, carrying both.

RCR123's for every day use, recharged after every use, and CR123's for longer RT's, and possibly slightly higher output.

Backup too.