6PL Hard anodized?!?!?!

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I was in my local Lowes today looking for one of the task force cree's, ( any sightings around Denver, CO anyone?) and I noticed the new surefires on sale there. The weird part was the the 6PL was a dull black, not shinny, and so I looked closer, ans sure enough it said on the packaging that it was type III anodize!!! It looked great! Is this new news or am I late to this party?:ohgeez:
Later,
Charles

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a 6P-Led (6PL-BK) as my first light and all it says is "Lightweight, hard-anodized aluminum body resists impact and corrision" on the back of the packaging. Inside the book it says "Aerosapce-grade aluminum body with Type II anodizing; O-ring seals; Pyrex window."
progress.gif

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
Check the Lowe's website. They carry both the 6PL and G2L. I think the prices are $64 and $84. They are going fast in Columbus... I stopped by yesturday, they had 4 6Ps i stopped today because I was in the area and they had 1.
They are type II anodizing, same as my D3.

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, I went to another Lowes while I was out this evening, the lowes item # is 187628 ( dont bother with the web site already tried). I wanted to double check being kinda a newbie at this stuff, ( a whole 20 posts...lol), it clearly reads on the front and the back of the packaging that it is "hard-anodized, aircraft grade aluminum". Looking thru the plastic I can definitely tell that it is not m@g lite shinny. Its a black hard anodize.
Some one please go to lowes and double check for me... I dont want to be responsible for any bad info, especially info this big!!!
Later
Charles

Edited to ad....
GMF2010, thats exactly what I saw on the package can you post any pics?

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Looks like the usual Surefire type 2 to me. My newest 6PD has exactly that same looking finish and is supposed to be HA II. I'd love to be wrong though.
Yes saying HA II is improper but is so common to do around here it's just easier to do it and be understood by 50 people and called on it by about 6. Sorry

Last edited:

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
GMF2010, can you shoot the packaging that says hard-anodize on it so everyone knows I am not crazy?

Sgt led, isnt calling type two anodize "hard" improper? Mags are type II and are definetly not "hard".

Sorry everyone, if this is type two, it is not shinny like i am used to seeing.
Charles

BBL

Enlightened
The 6P on the pictures looks like surefire type 2 black to me.

Surefires type 3 is in my experience rather dark grey than black and slightly purpe - especially when in bright light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is no such thing as "HAII". It's either Type II or it's HA.
To put it another way - it's either Type II or Type III.
HA (Hard Anodised) = Type III.

I think some people may be underestimating the generic nature of SureFire's packaging.

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
GMF2010, can you shoot the packaging that says hard-anodize on it so everyone knows I am not crazy?

Sgt led, isnt calling type two anodize "hard" improper? Mags are type II and are definetly not "hard".

Sorry everyone, if this is type two, it is not shinny like i am used to seeing.
Charles

dsc00077tn1.jpg

dsc00080ol2.jpg

dsc00083tz4.jpg

dsc00084vj0.jpg

tussery

Enlightened
Well it looks like it is obviously a typo because gmf2010 6PL looks very identical to Surefires Type II anodizing. Theirs has a duller finish than say a company like Maglite and Streamlight.

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
Thank You GMF2010. It clearly states hard anodize in two places on the outside of the package. And I quote Size15..

HA (Hard Anodised) = Type III.

Isnt that how everyone else reads it?

I agree this is some kinda slip up on surefires part, I mean, they are absolutely the last company that would try to pull somthing. They rate their lights as output lumens and not bulb lumens for crying out loud! They definetly are on the consumers side. This is just a very obvious and glaring mistake.

Whew, not crazy after all....:D
Charles

IcantC

Enlightened
Thank You GMF2010. It clearly states hard anodize in two places on the outside of the package. And I quote Size15..

Isnt that how everyone else reads it?

I agree this is some kinda slip up on surefires part, I mean, they are absolutely the last company that would try to pull somthing. They rate their lights as output lumens and not bulb lumens for crying out loud! They definetly are on the consumers side. This is just a very obvious and glaring mistake.

Whew, not crazy after all....:D
Charles

It is Type II