A G2 LED
A 2AA Mini-maglight
?

Thank you

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Pressure switches

Perhaps your question is not clear enough?

The G2 (and G2L) comes with a push button pressure switch as standard.

I think perhaps you're looking for a 'tape pressure switch' attached to the flashlight by a cable. Is this correct?

SureFire has a number of options - I believe all cost more than the G2 itself. Tape pressure switches are typically used for WeaponLights. In this instance the important qualities of the switch are not easy to achieve cheaply, certainly not if the switch is going to be used every day under adverse conditions (which are the sort of applications for which SureFires are designed)

I can run through the various SureFire WeaponLight switch options that can be applied to the G2/G2L if you like?

There are aftermarket alternatives. However, I can not recommend them. Perhaps there are others here who can...

RWBlue

Newly Enlightened
Re: tape switches?

[FONT=&quot]Size15's[/FONT], you understand the question.

As you can tell I am not a light person, but I need a couple weapons lights.

I had a mini-maglight with a cheap tac-star tape switch on a shotgun. It produced a sufficient (more would be nice) amount of light for my applications, but not the tac-star tape switch didn't last. So I am looking for a new switch for the mini-maglight

Additionally, I now have a G2 and a G2 LED on the way. I am tempted to mount one of these on a different rifle. So if I have the terminology correct, I am looking for a tape switch.

Cost effective would be great, cheap is unacceptable.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
wolf eyes raider is about 50 bucks with a tapeswitch from pacific tactical solutions The light readily accepts 2 x 18500 l-ions, which is a plus, the lens is plastic, you may want to consider swaping it for glass, lighthound has ucls for sf c series for about 7 bucks, which are likely interchangeable, but you may want to ask around. I can't attest to the quality of the switch, but for 50 bucks total theres not a lot to complain about. The sf setup is probably very nice but I think it runs around 200 plus, which is twice the cost of the light I was planing of using and half the cost of the airsoft aeg setup I'm planing to run. That's a really expensive part. If I was a member of a swat or military unit I'd probably go for the sf just for the piece of mind, plus you might be able to write it off.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I feel its important to be realistic - SureFires are for those who use WeaponLights for their jobs, where the cost can be justified far more easily.

Perhaps the Lights and Lasers forum over at AR15.com would be a place to explore aftermarket switch options for the SureFire G2/G2L ?

sholling

Newly Enlightened
You could try adapting the optional tape switch for a Pelican M6 (~$17-25). I've gotten it to work with an inexpensive ($29 w/10 batteries) 3W Cree based flashlight from All-Battery. I just got lucky and I want to wouldn't stake my life on it. The next option is to buy the Pelican M6 2390 light for around $70 and add the switch. You're looking at around $90 with the optional switch - but it will work.

RWBlue

Newly Enlightened
I feel its important to be realistic - SureFires are for those who use WeaponLights for their jobs, where the cost can be justified far more easily.

Perhaps the Lights and Lasers forum over at AR15.com would be a place to explore aftermarket switch options for the SureFire G2/G2L ?

I have a G2. I will have a G2L.
What are the reliable options?

I tend to stay off of AR15.com, there is too much BS. In the gun forums it is easy to spot. I am not a light guy so....

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I'll throw in 2 cents:

Buy right the first time and you will save in the longrun.

I'd mount the G2L as the led is impervious to recoil and won't burn out like an incandescent bulb. Also if it does fail it will be covered by warranty...

If you could give us some details of your intended setup (including intended usage) it may also help. For example if you are using the Surefire with a vertical foregrip you probably won't need a tapeswitch.

The Surefire XM07 switch will serve your need for a tape switch very well. It has the cable switch plus a switch on the tailcap itself for redundancy. Just double check the length of cable you require, the 07 in that model number represents 7 inches of cable...

As far as your tapeswitch options for a 2aa maglite, I'd also say Surefire XM07 because you're not going to try mounting a 2aa maglite are you ;) :) my advice is stick to the g2 or g2l. If you want I can give you a detailed response re the 2aa maglite but..... yeah :)

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
Maglight will not have many options, if any, for a tape switch

The G2 has numerous options as does the G2L. The G2L as someone already mentioned is already a protected emitter (no delicate filament which could break under recoil) so you would not need a shock isolated head like you would with the G2.

My highest recommendation is to visit the industry section at AR15.com and look for Brightflashlights. Calvin is the owner and a highly reputable dealer with many high quality reasonable cost weapon lights and accessories. He is also able to sell individual parts which you could not buy elsewhere, including Surefire, unless someone was parting their light out. His contact info is within the threads and there are also some images of G2s with gun light mounts, tape switches, and shock isolated bezels, etc. I've been using his services for a number of years and he's my go-to guy for weapon lights and surefire parts.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
My highest recommendation is to visit the industry section at AR15.com and look for Brightflashlights.
Calvin is a great WeaponLight dealer able to give you a range of options based on your stated requirements and where possible within your stated budget range.

Al

RWBlue

Newly Enlightened
The mini-maglight was mounted on a shotgun. It was useful in eliminating a few furry varmints at night on a farm. When I hit the button, the animal froze, and I didn't shoot the guys cat. :) If I can't get a reliable switch for it, I will probably live without a light on the shotgun. I really hate buying things twice.

The G2/G2L is planned for a different project(s). I have been working on something for a couple years. What started off as a toy may end up being a demo-rifle for a police agency. Heck there is always a chance that I may end up using this rifle for more serious work. As it stands it is very configurable. It is like a Swiss Army knife, but a rifle. I think the tape switch gives me the most configure ability.

It sounds like I will be talking to Calvin/Brightlights.

While I have your attention, I have third generation night vision. Assuming I like the G2/G2L on the rifle, I am tempted to buy the IR filter for the G2/G2L. Any unexpected issues?

Thank you

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2/G2L is planned for a different project(s). I have been working on something for a couple years. What started off as a toy may end up being a demo-rifle for a police agency. Heck there is always a chance that I may end up using this rifle for more serious work. As it stands it is very configurable. It is like a Swiss Army knife, but a rifle. I think the tape switch gives me the most configure ability.
Then the XM Tape Switch TailCap is looking a more suitable option given the demanding environment in which it will likely be used.

Assuming I like the G2/G2L on the rifle, I am tempted to buy the IR filter for the G2/G2L. Any unexpected issues?
You will not get any appreciable IR from a 'white light' LED. You'll need an incandescent lamp (such as the P60 use by the G2), and even then a dedicated IR illuminator such as the SureFire M1 will perform better (depending on the usage requirements)

RWBlue

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The advantage of the XM switch is that in the event that hand position on the firearm dictate the light can be activated at the flashlight rather than solely at the tape switch (for example if the tape switch is located on a Tango Down Vertical Foregrip). Additionally, in the event of the cable being damaged or caught and the tape switch being out of action the light can still be used. Finally, the push button pressure click switch on the XM TailCap is both a momentary pressure switch and push further/harder to latch (click) constant-on.

SureFire does offer cheaper tape switch options, but for law enforcement applications the benefits of the XM can outweigh the cost.

Al

1wrx7

Enlightened
I love the XM tailcap. The pressure pad and the clicky give two independent options to use the light. The pressure pad is also removeable so it can be replaced if damaged without having to replace the entire tailcap. I just recieved a M600A scoutlight. It doesn't use the XM but it does use the same pressure pad. So if I remove the M962XM07 weaponlight I don't have to detatch the Pressure pad from my rifle to change to the M600A weaponlight. Interchangeability with Surefire quality is an awsome thing.