Anyone think it's about time for Headlamps to come out of the Dark Ages?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't spend much time in the Headlamp forums but recently have had good reason to need one. I bought a Princeton TEC EOS a couple years ago (which I seem to have temporarily misplaced) so I was looking to get something new. I thought I'd be seeing the latest stuff running Cree Q5's, Rebels and Seoul LED's along with something better than AAA's. But it seems the EOS with it's 1 watt Luxeon is still one of the major contenders. :shakehead
I'd like to see a Seoul, Cree Q5 or Rebel 100 running on a single CR123 or maybe 2 AA's but AFAIK nothing even close to this is anywhere to be found. Maybe I just haven't dug deep enough yet but from looking at this forum it seems everyone is still talking about lights I knew about a couple years ago.
Even the Chinese makers that crank out the new stuff so fast seem to be missing anything like this. Anyone else think it's time for some better headlamps?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet is to buy something then mod it with the latest LED.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet is to buy something then mod it with the latest LED.

I know that's a fairly good way to go but my modding time is severely limited right now (I seem to be able to get away with spending some time on the computer but if I bring out any tools the wife expects I need to be building our house).

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
That's good news - hopefully that won't be too long

Matrixshaman,
I hope all is well with you.
The technology is maturing. I am working with one company designing a new headlamp with 123's. You will see them very soon.
Right now FoxFury makes one of the brightest headlamps at 3 watts

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
First let me say that I'm with you, and want one of the biggies (PT, Petzl) to come out with updated LED's - I mean, the technology really has come a long way, and it's such an easy way to better their products!

However (gulp), we have to remember that 99% of the market (or more?) aren't aware of the specific advances in LED's. So although it's a huge deal to us (and rightly so!!) to see the advantages of the jump from an old Lux I to a Cree R2, the rest of the world (happily unaware) is fine with reading "1 WATT LED!" and thinking they've got the good shtuff. :laughing:

Anyways, point is, the consumers don't know how much better/brighter/more efficient their lights could be, and the manufacturer seems to be alright with that, so we're left with what's available to the mass market! :shrug: Think Maglite LED's - what types of LED's are those? :whistle:

And I have to say, modding an EOS with a Seoul and a McR18 took me all of about 8 minutes - and it was literally the first time I've ever soldering ANYTHING!

My .02!

john

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is not just the LED used. Also the batteries (CR123!) and the build quality as well as the interface. Nothing really good out there it seems.
With the new LEDs you can do amazing stuff at low currents --> smaller lights, cooler lights, longer running, brighter.

Not that I need one, but I sure want a good headlamp.

bernie

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, LED headlamps are atrocious at the moment. I have been on that soapbox for a few months now.
Luckily Coleman, of all companies, should have cree based stuff out in a month or so for headlamps. Of course there's the rumors of a Fenix headlamp still, but I don't put much stock in vaporware... not unless the lead designer of Fenix popped on th the boards and said they're making one.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
It is not just the LED used. Also the batteries (CR123!) and the build quality as well as the interface. Nothing really good out there it seems.

Uh-oh... :ohgeez: Captain Primary checked in! :welcome: :nana: Just kidding B-man...

I really like the 3xAAA self-contained headlamps like the PT Eos & Quad. The three AAA batteries, which are readily available just about anywhere in the world, provide enough power to suit most of my needs when camping/hiking/climbing, and certainly meet all of the expectations I have for what a headlamp should be, set aside the outdated LED's they all have. And lithium AAA's are available for cold weather uses, which certainly come in handy here in the Midwest!

I find the build quality and the interface simple, acceptable, and pleasant to use on both the EOS and Quad... and have taken both underwater (less than 10ft) with no problem! :shrug:

And, as we all know, since "two is one and one is none", carrying another light (be it a handheld or another headlamp) usually fills any voids left by the first light - or at least such is the case in my own uses! :D

I don't think we'll see much else out there for CR123-based headlamps unless SF comes out with a headlamp to complement their helmet light. However, I'd welcome a 123-based headlamp provided it could accept Li-Ions (Bernhard's battery of choice, from what I hear! :whistle: ) While the Zebra light sounds like it has great potential, I still think the big headlamp companies you see in outdoor stores - Petzl, PT, Brunton, etc. - will stick to what they know - AAA and AA! :( :shrug:

I suppose it's a "to each his own" situation, but this guy is satisfied with what's out there, although tweaks are always welcomed!

Back in my cave I go!

ththsmileytrolldx3.gif
john

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Seems I built up a very stubborn "primary" reputation :D :wave:

I am drawn to a CR123 headlamp for the simple reason of avoiding multiple battery types to carry along. And for size reasons.

A small and simple CR123 headlamp that would be easy to carry and bomb proof would be just great.

Cpt. Primary :D

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess my brain was tuned in tonight after starting this thread yesterday. I found an interesting deal at Wally world no less! This is the tiniest and lightest headlamp I've come across. And while still having a claimed main white LED power of 1 watt and 45 Lumens it has some very good throw and a built in flip over diffuser for real flood. It also has 2 red LED's and one blue LED. And all this runs on just one AA battery. You have your choice of the main white, 2 red or one blue at any one time. The diffuser also flips from the high power white LED over to the other side so it can diffuse either the red or the blue LED's. It's got a nice little rubber top switch that I think would still be fairly easy to use with gloves on since you can grab the lamp with a thumb and index finger easily. And it of course has tilt settings. All this including a battery for $18 and change. It uses an optic over the LED so I haven't yet been able to tell what it's using. I'll post some pics in a little bit.
It didn't say anything about using NiMH in this light but I just tried a half charged NiMH Eneloop and it seemed just as bright as the AA Rayovac Alkaline included with it so it seems good to go on NiMH's too! The battery cap also has a little retainer on it so it can't get dropped. I think one of the coolest things about this though is the extreme light weight.
Also with the optic it has it just might be a good candidate for a Rebel LED swap if not a Cree or Seoul.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matrixshaman,
I hope all is well with you.
The technology is maturing. I am working with one company designing a new headlamp with 123's. You will see them very soon.
Right now FoxFury makes one of the brightest headlamps at 3 watts

JohnB - thanks for the info - I'll check in at your web site regularly.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
First let me say that I'm with you, and want one of the biggies (PT, Petzl) to come out with updated LED's - I mean, the technology really has come a long way, and it's such an easy way to better their products!

However (gulp), we have to remember that 99% of the market (or more?) aren't aware of the specific advances in LED's. So although it's a huge deal to us (and rightly so!!) to see the advantages of the jump from an old Lux I to a Cree R2, the rest of the world (happily unaware) is fine with reading "1 WATT LED!" and thinking they've got the good shtuff. :laughing:

Anyways, point is, the consumers don't know how much better/brighter/more efficient their lights could be, and the manufacturer seems to be alright with that, so we're left with what's available to the mass market! :shrug: Think Maglite LED's - what types of LED's are those? :whistle:

And I have to say, modding an EOS with a Seoul and a McR18 took me all of about 8 minutes - and it was literally the first time I've ever soldering ANYTHING!

My .02!

john

Thanks for the info on the easy EOS swap. Now if I can ever find my EOS I'll give that a try since I've already got a Seoul sitting around. You are right on with the reasons headlamps haven't progressed much for the lower end lights. Clueless general John Q. Public.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhantomPhoton - good news about Coleman - I'll keep an eye out for that and hopefully it's not vaporware.
KeyGrip - more good news - I'll watch for Zebralight too.
Kiessling - Yes they can do better than what's around now. It did just occur to me though about using Lithium CR123's in a headlamp there may be one issue holding back manufacturers. Having a laptop blow up on your desk or even your lap is one thing. Having a cell phone blow up in your pocket or hand is another. But having a Li-Ion powered headlamp blow up right on your forehead could really be a bad experience. Perhaps they don't want to risk the potential harm a headlamp could do to someone by using Lithiums. I think I'd be okay with one that used a single CR123 though.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to get a real feel for how small this is from these pics. I own it and it doesn't even look small to me in the pics like it actually is. The battery compartment is barely bigger than the AA it holds and the part housing the LED's is about a 1/2 inch short than the battery compartment and about 3/4 inch deep by about 1" high at the widest part.
Pulling most of the pics below - no use wasting bandwidth on something which already has 2 reviews here - I thought yesterday this might have been new and just out (little behind on headlamps).
1st pic next to a Novatac for size comparison:

Diffuser on the 1 watt LED side now and 2 red LED's are on - they are not orange - just look that way in this pic.

rayovachl3tf2.jpg

Couple more to follow...

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pulling off most of the pics below as I see now there is already a couple reviews on this light here
Sorry for the poor pics
rayovachl1kw8.jpg

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just put it on the postal scale - 1.4 oz. without battery and 2.2 oz. with an Alkaline AA in it. Impressive! However after taking a closer look at it I found no screws or snap apart pieces - plastic welded at one point and the rest is molded - my guess anyway. It does say water resistant and it has an O-ring on the battery compartment so I think it's sealed in a way that does not make it good for a mod. :(

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this RayoVac has a Luxeon 1 watt in it per RayoVac's web site - and this is not that new as I have now seen another one in a pic here. Zebralight is looking interesting with it's Cree Q5 but not exactly what I'm looking for - just a massive flood light which I think might be nice for some purposes but I'd rather see a light like this Rayovac running a Q5 with the flip down diffuser so you can have flood or spot.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess this RayoVac has a Luxeon 1 watt in it per RayoVac's web site - and this is not that new as I have now seen another one in a pic here. Zebralight is looking interesting with it's Cree Q5 but not exactly what I'm looking for - just a massive flood light which I think might be nice for some purposes but I'd rather see a light like this Rayovac running a Q5 with the flip down diffuser so you can have flood or spot.

There is a long thread on this headlamp around CPF somewhere.

I really like my new Zebralight. It is a great floody light which is mostly what is needed, and it is nearly weightless.

My other favorite headlamp is the Petzl MYO XP. It is 3xAA and runs well on NiMH. I have modded it with U bin Seoul so it is up to date. It has an excellent diffuser, a very small head, a shelf to keep light off your glasses, three levels plus momentary turbo. The diffuser is really amazing converting a throwy beam to a flood.

-- Alan