New LED LENSER CREE HF 7439T7

infoseeker

Newly Enlightened
First here in CPF- you cannot see them yet in the net/market/other forum/website.

i Noticed is- focus-flooded system is not anymore turning the head
:grin2: its sliding now (soft sliding or lets say mu$turb@t/ng the head part:faint:)
(maybe they want to be different from other manufacturer and for easy to use than the HF7438)

2000336670819630054_rs.jpg

Hard nylon pouch
4 AAA batt.
Batt. casing w/ switch can be attach/detach to the cap
Plastic white holder on bulb (star screw)
(almost same head design on HF7438)

8407P7 is almost same feature on 7439T7- its only rough body (7439T7-smooth) and on the neck/head part- small diff

*lanyard/sling not included, its my personal from LED LENSER also

2000319339652196388_rs.jpg

2000365997226881011_rs.jpg

infoseeker

Newly Enlightened
COmparing the light with HF7438

2000354697040954487_rs.jpg

5ft.

its not noticeable in the pic but the light of the 7439T7 is also full rounded bigger than 7438

2000360384804774931_rs.jpg

10Ft

Note: the new 7439T7 has 2 clicky type(not memory as fenix used)
1. first click- dim (sorry i ll follow the pic for this)
2. 2nd click- full bright

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks jhempelayo for showing us the new light! I wonder when they'll be available in the U.S.

Using 4 AAA's, that means they're using at least a buck converter (well I hope so at least... hope it's not a resistor), can't wait to see the runtimes and how well the regulation is. I like the idea of the 2 stage output, but it would be nice if had the option of having a single-stage momentary switch action like the 7438. It looks pretty darn bright, and the wide focus beam looks so much nicer! Can't wait to check one out... thanks again! :thumbsup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pics. Decent beamshots. :grin2:
So I think it uses a reverse clickie tailcap with a resistor?

Once again they fail with AAAs. :( I'm never going to be able to get a focusing lenser at this rate.
Why is it so hard to use 2AA's and a boost circuit with the focusing in the same flashlight? :sigh:

edit: It appears that I'm a bit too harsh in that there appears to be a 1AA and maybe a 2AA cree based light that focuses coming out. I'm hoping this is true.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pics. Decent beamshots. :grin2:
So I think it uses a reverse clickie tailcap with a resistor?

Once again they fail with AAAs. :( I'm never going to be able to get a focusing lenser at this rate.
Why is it so hard to use 2AA's and a boost circuit with the focusing in the same flashlight? :sigh:

I don't see what the big deal is. 2 AA's with a boost circuit driving an emitter ~900 mA is going to give you about 1:15 minutes to 50%. 3 AAA NiMH's direct drive give the same runtime. Not sure what 4 AAA's with a resistor would yield, but should be close or better. Besides, the batteries are rechargeable, and you should carry extras. Plus, every flashaholic is probably carrying more lights that they need anyway. :lolsign:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also love to see Coast upgrade the Digitac David 19 with a cree. Its one of my favorite single AA lights.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see what the big deal is. 2 AA's with a boost circuit driving an emitter ~900 mA is going to give you about 1:15 minutes to 50%. 3 AAA NiMH's direct drive give the same runtime.

How do you figure that? :thinking:

At a draw of around 900mA NiMh AAAs have around .9Wh and AAs (at 1.35A draw due to being only ~2.4 volts) have around 2.6Wh. We're looking at just about 3 times the energy. So we're going to get better runtime from 2AAs even when we factor in losses from a boost circuit. Not quite double the runtime, but noticeably more time especially at max brightness. The DD AAAs will tail off pretty quick.

The AA form can hold a current so much better than a AAA can (AAAs are even worse vs AAs with Alkilines). Even when we factor in losses from 2 cells versus 3 cells AAs are superior. Bringing in the 4th cell on the new models either with a resistor or a buck circuit does bring the light closer to 2AAs. But it just adds even more size. With 4xAAA you can almost fit 3xAA in the same cylindrical package.

Personally, I don't need another battery type to carry spares for. I already carry AAs and CR123s/ 18650s depending on what lights I'm bringing around. 1x AAA lights have a reason to be AAA, size. Beyond that besides cost cutting there is no reason to have 3AAA or 4AAA lights. If coast lights were $20 I could see why they need to keep costs down, but this is not the case.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you figure that? :thinking:

At a draw of around 900mA NiMh AAAs have around .9Wh and AAs (at 1.35A draw due to being only ~2.4 volts) have around 2.6Wh. We're looking at just about 3 times the energy. So we're going to get better runtime from 2AAs even when we factor in losses from a boost circuit. Not quite double the runtime, but noticeably more time especially at max brightness. The DD AAAs will tail off pretty quick.

Ok, yes, AA's have way more capacity. I'm just going by what I see during testing of different lights. Typically a 3 x AAA direct-drive light will drive the emitter around 1000 mA at the start, and then settle to 800 mA a few minutes later. Then it'll hold that level for the next 50 minutes or so. Over the next 15 minutes it'll gradually drop to the 400 mA level. Runtime to 50% is 1:15. Is this as good as a fully-regulated light? Nope. Is it pretty much regulated for an hour? Yep. Now... that for continuous use. Used here and there for a couple of minutes at a time, it'll be awhile before you feel the need to recharge the batteries (or just swap in some charged ones... that takes all of 20 seconds).

For the first 55 minutes of runtime, the average emitter current is a bit over 800 minutes. A Fenix L2D-CE drives the emitter around 700 mA on turbo... maybe. The current draw from the batteries on mine is 1600 mA. Runtime on turbo is 1:48 to 50%. If they tried to drive the emitter at 800 mA from 2 AA's, I'm guessing it'll draw about 1800 mA. That would be a runtime about 1:25. That's why I said it would be the same runtime.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see something like this with AA's, but for my needs, the 3 AAA format works just fine. I personally like to stay away from Lithiums when I can, especially primaries. Plus, direct drive is more reliable...no driver to go bad. So the only other option is the AA's, like you prefer. 3 AA's would be too fat for me, I guess 2 AA's would work ok, but at this drive level I don't think the runtime would be vastly superior. Then again, perfectly flat regulation would be nice, so I see the appeal. Maybe Coast is following this thread. :wave:

infoseeker

Newly Enlightened
I personally like to stay away from Lithiums when I can, especially primaries. Plus, direct drive is more reliable...no driver to go bad. So the only other option is the AA's, like you prefer. 3 AA's would be too fat for me, I guess 2 AA's would work ok, but at this drive level I don't think the runtime would be vastly superior. Then again, perfectly flat regulation would be nice, so I see the appeal. Maybe Coast is following this thread. :wave:

and one more thing i can add, convinience

not in all place, like here in my place (province/s) selling lithiums
AA and 3 AAA are more open ;)

lumenal

Enlightened

LED Lenser/Coast has already done this.

I saw the 2 AA Focusing Lenser at Sportsmans Warehouse - its been in stock for a couple of weeks now.

But it is Luxeon based - maybe a CREE version is on its way.

And the asking price was an astronomical $64.99! :sick2: No thanks!

Another interesting LL/Coast that just showed up in the last couple days at the SW is the new rechargeable Digitac II. (1 AA size).

Packaging says a Li-ion cell is in the light, as well as being Luxeon based.

I tested it, and it is small, but very bright! It lit up the 40 foot ceiling quite well, even with all of the ambient lighting.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Lenser/Coast has already done this.

I saw the 2 AA Focusing Lenser at Sportsmans Warehouse - its been in stock for a couple of weeks now.

But it is Luxeon based - maybe a CREE version is on its way.

And the asking price was an astronomical $64.99! :sick2: No thanks!

Another interesting LL/Coast that just showed up in the last couple days at the SW is the new rechargeable Digitac II. (1 AA size).

Packaging says a Li-ion cell is in the light, as well as being Luxeon based.

I tested it, and it is small, but very bright! It lit up the 40 foot ceiling quite well, even with all of the ambient lighting.

Oh? I haven't seen this yet, but I don't go looking thru coast products too thoroughly. A model # would be great if someone knows it. I'll go search for it but if it is a new product it may not sow up on the web. I know they made a 2AA light David I think, but it didn't have the focusing ability.
I agree that the price is ROFL. Have to watch for sales or something. I'd love to upgrade one to a TFFC K2 or... if they ever come out... SSC V bins. :devil:

edit: perhaps you are talking about this one?

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
Oh? I haven't seen this yet, but I don't go looking thru coast products too thoroughly. A model # would be great if someone knows it. I'll go search for it but if it is a new product it may not sow up on the web. I know they made a 2AA light David I think, but it didn't have the focusing ability.
I agree that the price is ROFL. Have to watch for sales or something. I'd love to upgrade one to a TFFC K2 or... if they ever come out... SSC V bins. :devil:

That may be it, and probably is, but maybe not.

The 2 AA light I saw has the same "frog-eye" optic, just a smaller diameter, as the LL 7438 that is popular here, especially modded with an SSC P4. (I have a FlashCrazy modded LL 7438 :)thumbsup: Jay!), so I am familiar with that optic.)

Its black, but as I was in a hurry, I cannot recall if it was a side switch or a tailswitch. I just quickly hit the "test-me" lever, and then did the same to the Li-ion light hanging on the next hook, and then left. :naughty: It does have a momentary-on function, though.

I'm going back tomorrow, and I'll jot down the model numbers. ( A quick web search resulted in nothing.)

lumenal

Enlightened

Yep, thats it. Different looking in black though. Side forward clicky - model #7845.

The 1 AA size Li-ion rechargeable has the focusing feature and "frog-eye" optic also. And a rear, forward clicky. Model #7853.

As jhempelayo has so kindly posted, it seems LED Lenser/Coast are going CREE, so these above lights may be "yesterdays news".

Perhaps these new LED Lenser/CREE body styles will be worth ckecking out. :popcorn:

infoseeker

Newly Enlightened
The 2 AA light I saw has the same "frog-eye" optic, just a smaller diameter, as the LL 7438 that is popular here, especially modded with an SSC P4. (I have a FlashCrazy modded LL 7438 :)thumbsup: Jay!), so I am familiar with that optic.)

Its black, but as I was in a hurry, I cannot recall if it was a side switch or a tailswitch. I just quickly hit the "test-me" lever, and then did the same to the Li-ion light hanging on the next hook, and then left. :naughty: It does have a momentary-on function, though.

maybe this one
538361192.jpg

LL7436 forg-eye optic, but the mechanism of the focusing on this is not same with 7438... in my experienced on this- :whistle: light no problem but the mechanism- not good :(