18650 body on a Quark

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because the 18650 battery won't fit inside the opemning in the head so a special two stage semi self contained arrangement had to be designed. The 18650 tube isn't actually an open ended tube, it has its own screw on end that then screws into the head of the torch.

I'm glad you explained that. I was thinking of how to explain it without a picture and I couldn't come up with anything concise. :thinking:

:twothumbs

chrise2469

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure how to make this any more clear...

What is the runtime of a 0.9v-4.2v Quark 123 single-cell CR123/RCR123 head with a 18650 body attached to it?

NOT... a 17670, as the one in the selfbuilt thread.

Quark 123 head...

with...

a Quark 18650 body...

what are the runtimes please?

-RC

Ok here ya go. I ran an experiment tonight just for you :). With an AW 2200 18650 on a neutral white AA tactical (same head as a 123) set on Max here is the time I recorded. Please note this was recorded and I went by the times on the digital recording.

Initial voltage of the freshly charged 2200 AW was 4.16v
Total runtime was 2hr 4min 06 seconds. voltage 2.80v

one things to note: at 2hr 02 min 45 secs, the light dimmed down to about med level then was out 1 min 21 seconds later. The protection circuit was active on the battery. Once the battery cooled it jumped up to 3.14v

Whilst not a 2600, it should give you a good basis for estimation.

Not a single mention of a 17670 :whistle:

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful.

That's all it took. Simple. Thank you. And now people won't have to guess anymore. At least for the AW cells. I would probably use the 2600, but even I am satisfied.

I really appreciate it... you are the bomb!

Sincerely,
-RC

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
one things to note: at 2hr 02 min 45 secs, the light dimmed down to about med level then was out 1 min 21 seconds later.
That is indeed something worthy of note. It seems to indicate that one might have a minute or so to find a new battery which whilst it's not a long time, is better than the sudden dead dark shutoff I was led to believe it would display.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my QAA-T (on 14500) I can let it run til the protection kicks in on the higher setting, let the cell rebound for a couple seconds and then put it on a lower setting and it'll run for a few minutes due to less voltage sag.

chrise2469

Newly Enlightened
That is indeed something worthy of note. It seems to indicate that one might have a minute or so to find a new battery which whilst it's not a long time, is better than the sudden dead dark shutoff I was led to believe it would display.

The dimming was probably due the MAX setting. I normally I run an 14500 in a AA-tactical on the high setting and the light just goes black. Nice and bright then dark. I've gotten into the habit of checking the voltage every couple of days.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
The dimming was probably due the MAX setting. I normally I run an 14500 in a AA-tactical on the high setting and the light just goes black. Nice and bright then dark. I've gotten into the habit of checking the voltage every couple of days.
Ahh yes, I hadn't thought of that.

Mind you, I've got five 17670's so I just change batteries quite reguarly as a precaution although with a couple of Q-Turbo's in rotation they've not ever been below 3.9 when I check them before throwing on the charger.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I thought about going with Li-Ion but unless I used unprotected cells, I knew I wouldn't be at all happy with the results. I want some warning the cells are almost dead so I can change them with fresh cells before having to fumble around in the dark. And using unprotected cells means they can be easily damaged if you're not careful with usage. Besides, I already have lots of Duraloop AA cells so there was no real need to go with new Li-Ion cells and a charger. Having said that, I regularly change out my cells before any significant event so I'm usually ok. But there are times when you need the light without any warning, like a power failure or car accident or whatever unseen event arises and I don't have time to swap cells first. And that's why I want some warning.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

makuyo

Newly Enlightened
i've made my own runtime test before...:D

Quark AA R2 Tactical head with 18650...

im using AW 2400mah...

i got 2h 17min before the safety circuit kicks in..

didn't realize any changes in brightness, just an instant shut down on Turbo mode..

room temperature was around 27' Celsius, should be a normal standard temperature in my country...

well just to report my results... sorry no volt meter hehehe..:grin2:

copperfox

Enlightened
To summarize, although 2xCR123 and 18650 have about the same stored energy, the reason the 123^2 head runs longer on 18650 (and 17670) is because of the way the driver deals with the voltage of the cell(s). Besides the 18650 needing its own additional body tube, the differences between these two energy sources are mostly ergonomic and your preference for either rechargeable or throw-away cells.

In order from lowest stored energy to most, it goes: 2xRCR123, 17670, crappy 18650, 2xCR123, high capacity 18650. This hierarchy may change a little depending on the current draw, temperature, and age of the cells.

shark_za

Enlightened
Is Quark tailcap universal? Does the tailcap of a Quark 2AA turbo fit the 18650 body? Thanks.

Yes but I had an issue with mine when I first tried.
Regular caps fitted fine by the AA^2 tactical did not. I tightened, loosened, tightened, loosened etc till it was all the way down.
Works 100% now. Quarks are not designed with lock out.

The Turbo should be the same.