Brighter 3057 bulb?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been looking for a brighter alternative to a stock 3057 bulb for backup lights. Tried a couple of LED arrays from autolumination and those didn't cut it at all. I've been told by one auto parts store that there is a 50w or 55w version of the 3057 available, but I haven't seen them anywhere. Does anyone know about these?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The brightest widely commercialized bulb in that family is 3357/3457 (same burner; the 3457 has a higher-heat plastic base). The major filament in 3357/3457 produces 503 lumens, compared to the 402 lumens from a 3057 or 3157 major filament. You can find 50w halogen replacements at various parts stores; they are a great way to burn up your wiring and melt your lamp housings (100% electrical and thermal overload; how lucky do you feel?). Candlepower Inc (no relation to this site) has a safe 35w, 792-lumen version under development. Those "cluster of LEDs on a bulb base" things don't work/aren't safe.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Because they invariably cause the device they're installed in to fail all or most of the safety performance criteria. Intensity through the required range of horizontal and vertical angles (most of them don't even produce enough intensity directly on axis), effective projected luminous lens area, intensity ratio bright/dim, etc.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to mention that there's no chance of those tiny LEDs producing enough lumens.

People should note that the lumen rating of the bulbs and lifetimes are usually at 14V max Vin. At 12 volts or in most saggy older cars 11volts you're losing at least 1/3rd to half the lumens. So if rated at 400lumens you're really getting about 200-270lumens, but that's why your bulbs last so long.

I tried some of those bulbs from superlumination and was very disappointed with the visibility. I'm currently planning to rebuild my tail lights with an array of rear and side-facing LEDs. I'm looking out for a good deal on some red and amber stars, possible older gen (lux 1/3) for cheap. I think ten or so underdriven lux3s in each side/color would do the trick.

Does anyone happen to know the laws regarding reverse lights? Do they have to illuminate anything at all? I have white indicators right now, but when it's dark, I use a seperate flood light to avoid hitting things. I haven't run in to any problems practical, legal, or otherwise with this setup.

Aren't backup lights technically off-road? Every time mine are lit, it's because I'm in a parking lot.

I never light mine up on the road, there's plenty of light there anyway. I figure that in a parking lot, the white glow is enough to inform anyone behind me that I'm backing up. If it's dark enough to need the floodlight, there's usually nobody behind me that would care.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The problem I'm having is with the doofuses who walk directly behind my vehicle while I'm backing up. I'm trying to find something that's a little more attention getting to get those people to stay clear, as well as providing additional illumination.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I thought about that also, but it would be a little too annoying for the neighbors in the morning. I think a visual alert is a little more neighbor-friendly.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Does anyone happen to know the laws regarding reverse lights? Do they have to illuminate anything at all?

Not really...the intensity regulations are such that they need only serve as visual warning that the vehicle is reversing. Minimum axial intensity is 80cd, maximum intensity 300cd at any point on or above horizontal, max intensity 600cd at any point between horizontal and 5° down, max intensity 8,000cd at any point below 5° down. Beyond that, there are specific test points a reverse lamp must meet:

Points at H and 5° down
V: 80cd min
10° right and left: 50cd min
30° right and left: 25cd min
45° right and left: 15cd min

Points at 5° up
V: 25cd min
10° right and left: 20cd min

Points at 10° up
V: 15cd min
10° right and left: 10cd min

Reversing lamps are definitely regulated as on-road lighting devices.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Points at H and 5° down
V: 80cd min
10° right and left: 50cd min
30° right and left: 25cd min

Points at 5° up
V: 25cd min
10° right and left: 20cd min

Points at 10° up
V: 15cd min
10° right and left: 10cd min

Reversing lamps are definitely regulated as on-road lighting devices.

Thanks for the detail! These are DOT specs, correct?

leres

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on a LED tail light conversion for my 2007 Z06 Corvette. I'm trying to understand the difference in light output between the stock 3057 bulb and the OSRAM LED module.
The major filament in 3357/3457 produces 503 lumens, compared to the 402 lumens from a 3057 or 3157 major filament.
According to Sylvania, the stock 3057 used for my car's tail lights output 32/2 MSCD. If I do the conversion, I get 402/25 lumen. So far so good.The spec sheet for the OSRAM "Joule LED system gen 2" lists the "luminous flux" as 47 lm for the stop/turn light and 3.5 lm for tail light. Is this a typo and the units are really MSCD? Rr are the units not lumen? I would appreciate a little help understanding this.
------
Craig

superjoe83

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on a LED tail light conversion for my 2007 Z06 Corvette. I'm trying to understand the difference in light output between the stock 3057 bulb and the OSRAM LED module.

According to Sylvania, the stock 3057 used for my car's tail lights output 32/2 MSCD. If I do the conversion, I get 402/25 lumen. So far so good.The spec sheet for the OSRAM "Joule LED system gen 2" lists the "luminous flux" as 47 lm for the stop/turn light and 3.5 lm for tail light. Is this a typo and the units are really MSCD? Rr are the units not lumen? I would appreciate a little help understanding this.
------
Craig

IIRC that is the lumen rating, they are designed to use a special reflector, without that they will be very dim
heres a thread on hidplanet about them: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44611

killain

Newly Enlightened
Re: Brighter 3057 bulb? 3157 vs 3057 ?

Because they invariably cause the device they're installed in to fail all or most of the safety performance criteria. Intensity through the required range of horizontal and vertical angles (most of them don't even produce enough intensity directly on axis), effective projected luminous lens area, intensity ratio bright/dim, etc.

I'm wondering about a change I'd like to make as well, and you seem to understand brightness issues. My 2003 Corvette takes 4 3057 bulbs in the tail lights, but I have gotten 4 GE 'Nighthawk' 3157nh bulbs which they claim to be 20% brighter. I can't find the wattage on the package so I must ask your advice on this one please ? I don't want to be blowing out fuses or wreak the wiring, so I just like a slightly brighter bulb in the tail lights. :candle: Thank you !

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The difference between 3057 and 3157 is not in the bright filament, but in the dim filament. 3057 has a 2cp dim filament and a 32cp bright filament. The 3157 has a 3cp dim filament and a 32cp bright filament. Interchanging in either direction isn't wise; in one direction it screws up the intensity ratio between bright and dim, and in the other direction it drops the taillamp intensity below safe minimum. If you're trying to increase bright-filament intensity, use 3457, but...why? Those lights are already more than plenty bright.

killain

Newly Enlightened
Re: Brighter 3057 bulb?- II

The difference between 3057 and 3157 is not in the bright filament, but in the dim filament. 3057 has a 2cp dim filament and a 32cp bright filament. The 3157 has a 3cp dim filament and a 32cp bright filament. Interchanging in either direction isn't wise; in one direction it screws up the intensity ratio between bright and dim, and in the other direction it drops the taillamp intensity below safe minimum. If you're trying to increase bright-filament intensity, use 3457, but...why? Those lights are already more than plenty bright.

Thank you, The bulbs are the 'wedge' type of insertion and I never seem to be able to but in a bulb with any confidence that it's inserted correctly ? :sigh:

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I've got a pair of Narva 3457 bulbs at home that I'd planned to install for reverse lights; I'm hoping they help a bit.
The Jeep came with tinted windows and it's tough to see when backing, especially on the trails.
If these bulbs aren't enough, I'm thinking of mounting a pair of 2" Solstice 10w flood pattern cubes.

Latest posts