New Inova T1 review (pics)

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
In typical Inova fashion, the T1 epitomizes sexiness in a flashlight. It is solid black, and no longer has a silver bezel, which was replaced by a solid black bezel to match the body..presumeably to minimize reflection in stealth situations.

The machining is A+ quality. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go ahead and say that the finish on my T1 is nicer than the finish on any other light I have previously owned or held. The light is not hard to hold either in a "tactical" grip, and the push button "momentary" is easy to use/strobe. Push harder and the light "clicks" on. The click is pretty hefty and provides great feedback. For reference, the streamlight "click" can sometimes be slightly too soft, leaving me in the dark, but the switch behind the rubber body is not an ideal setup, so by comparison, the T1 has a far superior activation. You can tell it is on by the loud "click" you get. It's just about 1.5 inches shorter than my scorpion, making it close to 4.5" in length. It is slightly wider than the SL body, So it fits finely in the pocket. I do not find it obtrusive in the pockets.

The T1 looks bigger in person than in the pictures. It is definitely not a keychain light, though it will be right at home in a pocket, or on a belt. I would guess that it is close to the size of a P3D from Fenix, but probably not nearly as bright.

Beam quality is exceptional from the "Diamond Cut reflector". There are absolutely no artifacts and a very smooth transition from a fairly large spot to an exceptionally large flood. The flood does a fine job lighting up the periphery. As I stated earlier, the beam is incredibely Warm in color. The untrained eye might just mistake it for an incandescent when displayed on a white wall. I'm going to take it out into the wilderness later and see how the color rendition is.

For those who do not know, incandescent lights are usually preferred in situations where there is a lot of fog or rain, as the warmer color tends not to reflect off of the elements as harshly.

ROUGH RUN TIME:
I'm using my SL Scorpion again as a reference. It hurts my eyes, but I hold both about an inch from a solid white piece of paper, and so long as the Inova is still harder to look at, I'm assuming it hasn't begun to decrease.

Note: ~25 minutes already used on the same batteries prior to test

5:15 - ON!

5:33 - warm to the touch but not hot.

6:15 - Warm to the touch, but far from hot. I can hold it against my lips (sensitive skin), and its still only luke warm. Beam hasn't changed at all.

7:10 - Warmer than it was, probably by about 5 deg. F. Not even close to too hot to hold though. If anything, it would make a good hand warmer on a cool night. Beam is still 100% from the naked eye.

7:46 - No visible decrease in beam quality, tint, or brightness. Temperature seems to have leveled off. It is definitely warm, but still doesn't burn my lips. I have a feeling this is about as hot as it will get. Keep in mind, this has been sitting vertically, not being held in my hand, so it is dissipating heat to the air, not my hand, so it is not as heatsinked as it would normally be. Pretty impressive so far!

8:20 - Still brighter than the SL Scorpion at 1 inch. I can't tell if it's decreased at all. It still looks as bright as it was. It is still not hot...just kinda warm. It's safe at this point to say that the light will never get too warm to be uncomfortable, let alone hold.

8:40 - The heat has slightly decreased, and the output looks to have dropped by about 5-10%, but is still very bright. It's been 3:25 , and I estimate I had used ~25 minutes prior. SO a wild guess would say that it will be well over 4 hours to 70%...maybe even 5 hours to 50%. I'll leave it on until it is no longer useable just to get an idea. It's still brighter at 1 inch than the SL scorpion.

9:11 - Final update, the light has dimmed ~30%. It is now almost cool to the touch, so it is definitely beginning to run low on juice. It seems to follow the run-time plot on the back of the box almost perfectly. Solid output for about 4 hours, and slowly decreasing from there.

Keep an eye out for a video, I'll post one later.

PS: The reason I chose the SL Scorpion as its main competition is that it is the closest light I have to the T1 in most aspects (both are 2 x CR123), and in fact, it is the only other light I currently own:( A truly sad day to be a flashaholic. Oh wait, I have an Inova X03 with TIROS but it was recently freeze-popped and is currently awaiting a shiny new emitter!

Some pictures: Sorry about the nails..I just got home from surfing

Streamlight Scorpion 1 Watt LED
dsc0010sq1.jpg

2008 Inova T1
dsc0009pu7.jpg

The Competition
dsc0034nv9.jpg

Up Close
dsc0015yl7.jpg

"Diamond Cut Reflector" and K2 "warmy"
dsc0020ym8.jpg

Next to another trusty object
dsc0032mo7.jpg

In the grip of Thor
dsc0036zd0.jpg

SL Scorpion ~ 21 ft to fence
dsc0061bd1.jpg

Inova T1 ~ 21 ft
dsc0059kf3.jpg

As you can see, the T1 (right) is putting out more overall lumens than the SL Scorpion (left) by a good margin:
dsc0062fy0.jpg

dsc0063rh0.jpg

Let me know if there are any specific pictures you would like me to take.

-Dan

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2008 Inova T1 quick review

Nice pictures, but it's not shiny.

Is this the new updated model with the latest LED?

Bill

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG! that is one warm beam, great, now i just may have to get one..:ohgeez:

is are those the new K2 emitters?

Crenshaw

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and the photos. I think you are writing about the 2008 version T1.

I am impressed with the 2007 version K2 Inova T1. Lots of flood. There was a wide variation in tint among T1s so I had to try a few before finding one I liked.

I also have a 2006 (1-cell) TIROS version T1, a very different critter. :)

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Yeah this is a review on the 2008 Inova T1. I think it has a K2 as well, but it is a newer K2. I'm not sure if they all have this warm of a tint, but it has taken top shelf as my favorite emitter, and I have plenty of experience with SSC and Cree.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If thats the new K2, cree and ssc can kiss thier market share good bye...!
and its yet another reason to get an ARC-LS

Crenshaw

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's sweet. Those are great beamshots, they give a lot of info about the beam. Inova really snuck these lights in under the radar; I've only seen two reviews on the new models and this is one of them.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
btw, in the beamshot picture, I was slightly above the T1 when I was taking the picture. The beamshot, sidespill and corono are 100% circular.

Cree and SSC have a huge place in the LED world. The K2 just seems like a "nicer" emitter. It looks better made, perhaps, and the warmness is unprecidented in an LED from my experience. It is probably incapable of producing as much overall output as a Cree or an SSC, but I'll take quality over quantity any day, and this light is pure quality. It has an 100% useable beam.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple lights modded with the new K2's and the emmiter kicks ***. Wont go angry blue, I love the warm tint, and with little modification will fit wherever a Seoul/Lux goes.... Its awesome that Inova, is using them in their lights. I might get one, very soon.

Wicho

Enlightened
Just when I told myself I wouldn't be buying any more lights..., the :devil: comes along with these pictures.

That is an absolutely awesome tint! Off to BOG I go, wallet in hand.

Wicho

Enlightened
I know the feeling - I just ordered mine, along with some companions - a T2 and T4. I hope they all have that great tint shown in the pictures here.

If they do, I may be selling a whole bunch of other lights! Oh, who am I kidding - I'll just have to mod them. :cool:

I am bordering on giddy regarding the incan-ish tint of the T1. I can't wait for mine to arrive!