Another Very Unique Light - MR Bulk DragonHeart!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been patiently waiting for this great little custom light to be completed. Last week my perseverance was paid off- the postman delivered my first MR Bulk flashlight.

Everything I've heard about Charlie's (MR Bulk) lights are true: phenomenal build quality, high-tech yet KISS UI (user interface), and unique designs.

I decided to order an HA Black DragonHeart with two empty trit slots and a stainless pocket clip (removable). I've had the opportunity to play with a titanium MR Bulk Chameleon and was enthralled with the little light. This one is so unique, so useful, and stunning.

First, the specs. Charlie's circuit board operates with five separate, programmable tables:

350mA
500mA
750mA
1000mA
1200mA (!)

It sports a Seoul Semiconductor P4 emitter. The 27mm reflector is orange peel close to the emitter, smooth 1/2 way out, assuring a bright and smooth spill beam with a long and bright throw. The body's texture is the same "Dragon Scale" that Charlie used on his titanium Dragons. The DragonHeart is its little brother, running on an 18500 (Pila 150) rechargeable vs. the Dragon's 18650.

It is quite easy to select the desired light table. I have mine running on table 3. Once the light is turned on, and one requires high, just press the button for a moment and high is engaged. Press again and it is off. It also includes the ability to set an auto-off and decide which light level is the default. Once programmed (again, among the easiest UIs I've used) just press the button to engage, press again to turn off.

The fit and finish rival any light I've owned. The threads are smooth and lubed, and o-rings are present on every threaded surface. The bezel is scalloped. The tailcap sports the "Dragon" logo.

A unique twist is the placement of the switch. This isn't a tactical light, and the thumb switch is located about 1/3 of the way down the body. It is funny- it is easy to use, and I forgot how useful a side switch can be.

I understand that Charlie was only planning on building 50 of these, and I believe 28 sold in the run hosted on his website. The remainder will be built then sold on Lighthound.

There were many options available to us: finish (HA Black, HA Natural, no finish, brass, and stainless steel, with an option for chrome and black chrome too!), light engine (regulated Dragon engine vs. unregulated Cub v.2 engine), and clip/no clip.

I have to admit that I was surprised at how small the light is. It runs on a 1.5x123 length cell, yet is just slightly longer than my Surefire E1B! It seems noticeably brighter on high than my 240 lumen milkyspit "Creemator!"

I don't know what the price will be on LightHound- if you are interested, and if you are a flashoholic you should be, I'd keep my eyes posted for when they arrive. It is yet another "Made in Hawai'i" masterpiece from another flashlight master craftsman. If you get the chance to get one, do it. You won't be disappointed.

Here's a few pics (sorry they aren't very good):

The DragonHeart next to a SF E1B and a Fenix P2D:

The DragonHeart's tail and logo:

A shot of the circuit board and the inside of the battery tube:

A shot next to the Surefire E1B... note the diameter of the DH's bezel:

openbolt1

Enlightened
Nice review Chronos,

I like the small package. Surprised there are not more replies? I'm thinking about getting one of the HA III natural ones from Lighthound. It is a lot smaller than I had it pictured in my mind. The photo comparison between it
& the SF E1b surprised me!

Big question for me: Does it come with the bezel down pocket clip shown?

Have you done any run times yet?

Thanks,

openbolt1

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my MR Bulk DragonHeart from Light Hound and my light did not come with a clip.

I have not done any run times.

DragonHeart022Small.jpg

DragonHeart023Small.jpg

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Clip had to be ordered specificly with the light from Mr.Bulk. I can´t tell for sure whether the Lighthound DragonHearts have clips or not. My guess is not but just email John to be sure. He has a very good service and the anwser can be expected in no time.

Eric

openbolt1

Enlightened
I got my MR Bulk DragonHeart from Light Hound and my light did not come with a clip. I have not done any run times.
DragonHeart023Small.jpg

HOLY COW, THAT BABY IS TINY!!!

Thank you for the picture. What a great frame of reference it depicts. openbolt1