Fenix TK10 Review (Pics added 3/25 8:30pm)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my TK10 from http://fenix-store.com a little early so I could check it out and put together a review. I had planned on getting this light so it was nice to be able to get one so soon! You can now pre-order the light on this page: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=433

We have all been following the rumors of the TK10, and then checking out the pictures making their way around CPF. It was nice to see what looked like improvements over the Fenix T1, improvements that many of us on CPF requested, and Fenix listened to us!

My first impression of the TK10 was how much better it felt in my hand. The tail switch is easy to operate with out the long prongs the T1 sported. While I kind of like the SS bezel on the T1, it was always kind of sharp and digging into my hands or fingers. The TK10's bezel is much smoother and easy on the hands. :) The addition of the tactical grip is nice for those who prefer the Rogers grip, etc. I also like the optional orange ring for those of us who do not need the tactical grip ring, although I'm not sure which way I'll leave it set up yet. I kind of like the grip ring, but for pocket carry I'd switch to the orange ring. The orange ring would also help you find the light if you dropped it somewhere dark.

The biggest improvement for me is I find the TK10 much easier to change modes. The T1 was always a little tough due to the big clip. With the T1 you had to turn the body tube, and the clip wasn't attached to it. So the clip would rub on it, there wasn't a lot of surface area to get a grip on, etc. With the TK10 you can grab onto the body, and the collar below the head, and then twist the head.

Another improvement is the beam quality. The TK10 appears to have a slightly heavier textured reflector than my T1, which results in a tad bit less lux in the hot spot, but it has a cleaner beam with no dark halo visible to me. It also has the newer Chinese assembled Cree with the silver backing around the die.

Also with the TK10 the clip is optional, and you also have the option of a black or orange tail switch cover. I find the clip on the TK10 to be a little small. I would like to see Fenix offer a larger clip that would simply attach with the same two screws the current clip attaches with. With the orange ring installed, in place of the tactical grip, the clip could be longer and come down to the orange ring. However, the included clip works well enough for now. A lanyard, spare screws, and an Allan wrench are also included.

Well, let's get to some pictures!

I figured I might as well give the TK10 a bath before its photo shoot! So I filled up my utility sink to full capacity, giving me about 1 foot of water to submerge the TK10 into. The TK10 was probably thinking "Is this all you've got?" as it didn't phase the TK10 in the least. After drying it off and taking it apart, not a drop of water was found inside:

I figure there will be all kinds of reviews, so I just tried to take a lot of clear pictures of the TK10 for everyone to enjoy. I haven't had a chance to take many beam shots yet, those will follow in the coming days. :)

I had some issues with my camera's white balance, so there maybe some variation in the appearance of the TK10. It is Fenix's olive HA, but to me it looks dark grey with a hint of olive drab. I like it, and it looks nice with the orange accessories. These first pictures show the TK10 with the tactical grip removed, and the orange filler ring in its place. As always, you can click on the pics for a larger view on Google's Picasa website and once there you can click the magnifier to zoom in even more:

Here's the clip:

Reverse polarity protection seen here:

Tail cap:

Nice beefy o-rings, especially the one by the head:

Tail cap threads:

Threads for head are internal:

Here is the switch out of the tail cap:

Empty tail cap:

Here are the tail switch cover and washers that hold it in place. The plastic washer goes against the rubber switch cover, and I assume this is to make a better seal as a metal washer could bend, dent, and allow water to leak in. In this arrangement the plastic will stay flat, and the metal washer will hold it down, and may make contact with the switch and tail cap:

Here are the accessories the TK10 comes with. Here we see the two rubber tail switch covers, tactical grip, clip, 2 sets of screws for the pocket clip, allan wrench, spare o-rings, orange ring to replace tactical grip, and lanyard:

Time to take off the orange ring and put on the tactical grip! This is the body tube without the orange ring or tactical grip, showing the bare threads:

TK10 back together with the tactical grip and black tail switch cover:

TK10 with the T1:

TK10's clip lying in the T1's clip:

P2D, TK10, T1:

Quick beam shot:

Updates:

I wanted to add that I am using AW R123A's in my TK10 and they fit fine.

Here are some in hand shots:

Other shots:

3/25/2008 8:30PM EST UPDATE - Here are some new beamshots:

Control (Location, my messy garage):

Just for fun, the Fenix E0 (hot spot is actually ro the right of the shiney insulation, hehe):

Fenix TK10 MAX:

Last edited:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix TK10 Review (Picture Heavy as always)

Outstanding pictures Wade!!

Nice job! :thumbsup:

I just didn´t understand... what is that orange ring in light´s body ??

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just didn´t understand... what is that orange ring in light´s body ??

If you remove the tactical grip ring, the orange ring threads over the exposed threads where the tactical grip ring used to be. For me, I like the orange. Others may have preferred a matching olive HA ring. Maybe Fenix will make some available. :) The tactical grip ring threads could be used for other accessories I'd imagine. Maybe they will have a way to screw it onto a gun mount or something?

jake25

Enlightened

does the tk10 roll w/o that ring wade?

and, you know my favorite question, is there a way is can tail stand?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

does the tk10 roll w/o that ring wade?

and, you know my favorite question, is there a way is can tail stand?

Yeah, the TK10 can roll without the tactical grip. It won't tailstand, since it's been more properly designed for tactical use. The T1 could tailstand, but it caught flack for the tail switch not being exposed enough for being classified as tactical light.

Also, for those who don't like the orange ring, you can remove the tactical grip and just leave the threads exposed. They are anodoized, and they can be seen in one of my pictures. The light doesn't look that bad with the threads exposed, but I guess you leave them more vunerable to damage.

You can also screw the grip ring on in either direction.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey wade, fantastic review...any chance the T1 head fits on the Tk10? i like the SS bezel...

hopefully mine will be there when i get home today...:candle:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey wade, fantastic review...any chance the T1 head fits on the Tk10? i like the SS bezel...

hopefully mine will be there when i get home today...:candle:

Crenshaw

I don't know, I have an early T1, and I have never gotten the head off. :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh yeah...forgot most people couldnt get the head of a T1, heh, maybe ill be the first to try...:devil:

Crenshaw

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened

Awesomes pictures as always.

Can't wait to get mine but....

does anyone have pictures of a Black TK10? In all the review, I have only seen Olive ones (which looks good anyway)

Even the pre-order for a Black one at Fenix-store has an Olive one pictured.

So just deciding which colour I should get before I place my order.

Thanks

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesomes pictures as always.

Can't wait to get mine but....

does anyone have pictures of a Black TK10? In all the review, I have only seen Olive ones (which looks good anyway)

Even the pre-order for a Black one at Fenix-stone has an Olive one pictured.

So just deciding which colour I should get before I place my order.

Thanks

i suspect all the review units are going to be olive.. we had to buy chocolate cake..which was brown...lol

and husky, why do you keep quoting yourself? :thinking:

Crenshaw

neophyte

Newly Enlightened

It looks like the internal threads on the TK10/T11 are different enough to be a pain in the bezel.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Nice one, Wade. :thumbsup:

e2x2e

Enlightened

Nice pictures, good review. Thanks!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi wadeF,
between TK10 & Raidfire Spear which is brighter?

The Spear will obviously have a lot more throw. As far as total output they should be about the same. I think the Malkoff M60 has the most total output, but throw is similar to the TK10, but on my lux meter my M60 has slightly higher LUX than the TK10.

On my lux meter, I got these results at 1 meter:

Fenix T1: 6,450
Fenix TK10: 5,610
Malkoff M60: 6,500
Raidfire Spear: 23,400

The TK10 seems to have a heavier textured relfector than the T1 which gives it a nicer looking beam (no visible rings or dark halo around the hot spot with mine), so you loose a little lux in the hot spot.

For most people using the TK10 as a tactical style light, such as clearing rooms, the improved beam is a benefit.