• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of "Dumb" Mule Heads for SF L1**SOLD OUT**

McGizmo

Flashaholic
2-11-10 These are now all sold out. Thanks everyone!

Hi guys,
I mentioned that I would be making some "dumb" (no electronics) Heads for use with the SureFire L1 available and now they are.

The head consists of a Cree XR-E (Q4) LED on MCPCB mounted in a custom "dumb" can which is nickel plated aluminum. This comprises a "dumb" LE essentially and this LE is placed in the Aleph Mule Head some of you are familiar with. I got some custom sapphire windows made for these L1 heads as a durability upgrade over the mineral glass windows used in the Aleph McMule sets.

From what I have been to tell with sample L1's I have, these mule heads should work on any generation of L1.

I think the L1 and especially the latest version is a great light in its own right and I have always liked the fact that the brains were in the body and not the head. This allows for optional "dumb" heads which don't require converters of their own. No idea how well this wave will be received or if it would make any sense to consider other "Dumb Heads" but I guess time will tell.

L1-Mule-Components.jpg

L1-Mule.jpg

I had some of the black (slate) Mule heads left and this is what I used for this wave. There are 40 of these built out and they are going for $90 plus shipping. Shipping will be via priority mail or international priority mail unless you request otherwise. For domestic priority mail, you can request insurance if you like and instead of the included delivery confirmation, you can request signature confirmation for an added $1.75 but you will need to be there to sign. I don't offer insurance on international shipping for a number of reasons.

For general information on how the orders are processed and such, please review This Thread.

If you want one or more of these, please send me an e-mail with
L1-Mule Head

in the subject line as well as the quantity if more than one.

In the body of the e-mail request, please include:
CPF name
Real Name and mailing address & phone #

Any alternate shipping requests or request for insurance

I will respond with a confirmation of order received or a postage notification e-mail or both depending on how quickly I get to the requests and can process them. In the subject line of the postage notification I will include the total and please feel free to submit this amount via PayPal or other means at your earliest convenience.

These will be available on a first order received, first processed basis.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wave of "Dumb" Mule Heads for SF L1

These look like a real nice offering. Great addition to the Surefire L1.
Cheers. :thumbsup:

sierracharlie

Newly Enlightened

One head for me. Email incoming.

This will be a great addition to my sf collection.

sc

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, this is basically "direct drive"?? Does it work with other E-series bodies??

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does it come in black ano only? IMO OD green ano would really match with the body.....

Silversurfer

Enlightened

Email sent :thumbsup:.

Thanks.

Last edited:

alantch

Enlightened

Cuso said:
So, this is basically "direct drive"?? Does it work with other E-series bodies??
I believe the bezel treading for the L1 and and E-series are different. So no, they're not compatible.

Scottiver

Enlightened

Since the electronics on the L1 are in the body and not the head then it should still be fully regulated and two levels of brightness.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Yes, the Dumb Mule Head is direct drive. It will fit on other E-series bodies but you will find the head doesn't screw down quite as far. There were some "issues" with the early L1's where the tube wouldn't go into the heads far enough to make a good ground path connection. Some of you may recall this and those L1's needed the heads screwed down really hard to make this connection. To assure that these Mule Heads would work on all generations, I shortened the depth from rear of head to the face on the LE that makes contact with the battery tube lip. It is easier to remove material than add it back on. If anyone uses one of these Dumb Mule Heads in an application where they feel the head doesn't screw down as far as they would like, they can file off some of the forward lip of the can which would allow the LE to screw into the head deeper.

Does it come in black ano only? IMO OD green ano would really match with the body.....

Well this is interesting to suggest that a hard ano done by a different shop on a different alloy of AL would match the SF ano!?! I think with the slate color there is a more consistent match to the pocket clip than would be the case with a hard ano trying to match the pak. It's a moot point since all of these are the black so they are what they are. If I ever do any more dumb heads for the L1, I probably will go the hard ano route but there will no doubt be mis match in color.

Silversurfer

Enlightened

Can the Dumb Mule Head work with two primary cells?

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

You would kill the LED in direct drive in no time, on two primaries.