P7+ Surefire M3 & L2= Happy Flashlight

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really need a better title for this thread.

Anyway, I used one of my extra Surefire L2 bodies and tailcaps as well as an E-C adaptor, a C-M adaptor and a spare M3 head and made a light using the Seoul P7 and a KD driver from Darkzero.

I had to just barely open up the body where the stock L2 electronics are normally located to fit the KD driver. The P7 was mounted on a slug about 5/8 diameter for heatsinking. The L2 tailcap gives me a LOW that is a bit too bright and a HIGH that I LOVE!!

I had to dremel out the retaining ring around the top of the M3 head and used an McR38 reflector. There really isn't a donut hole that I can see, but that may change tonight after using it in the dark.

So far, so good!

The beamshot sucks, but I'll try to get some better ones when it gets dark out again.

002-8.jpg

003-3.jpg

P7--------------L6 modded with CREE-----------------KL5A
004-6.jpg

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
AWESOME! It appears that the Mcr38 is perfect with the P7. Is it also a perfect fit in the M3 head? How hard is the emitter being driven? I'd love to see it on a DB1500 + 2x17500's.

Greg G

Enlightened
Very timely post. I'm in the process of modding my Surefire M500 light for my AR15. I had planned to just put a Seoul P4 in it with a McR38 reflector. I actually have the heatsink made and the star AA'd down. The reflector is cut down slightly to fit into the housing.

It's all ready to go together, but I'm tempted to put a P7 in it DD'd off an AW "C" Li Ion.

Looking forward to outdoor beamshots. :devil:

TexLite

Enlightened
Very nice,
I was wondering when some McR38/P7 combos were going to show up.I was going to order a couple of McR38 Jokers from the Shoppe,one week they had a dozen or better,then poof,all gone.Let us know how it goes outdoors.

Michael

ICUDoc

Enlightened
DaFAB DaFAB DaFAB that is cool. I didn't know the McR38 fitted in that head- at last a useful P7 mod in a nice host. We await the beamshots with interest!!

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lip that needs to get trimed off for the McR38 to fit inside the M3 head.

Here are some outdoor beamshots comparing the P7 light to a KL6 and KL5A

The beamshots aren't great, but it does show the difference between the lights well.

L5---EDIT---Photobucket must be messed up!
These pics of my chevette, don't look anything like a flashlight
010-1.jpg

L6
009-7.jpg

P7/M3/L2
008-5.jpg

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
The P7 looks way better. It seems like the McR38 and the P7 go together well from the pics.

I might try this combination.

Thanks.

Edit: If you don't mind me asking.....how are you driving this P7? Driver? Battery? Amps to emitter? Thanks.

Last edited:

TexLite

Enlightened
Nice shots,that McR38/P7 seems to work great.

Was it the standard reflector or the joker?

Thanks,
Michael

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P7 looks way better. It seems like the McR38 and the P7 go together well from the pics.

I might try this combination.

Thanks.

Edit: If you don't mind me asking.....how are you driving this P7? Driver? Battery? Amps to emitter? Thanks.

He did mention in the OP he is using a KD driver maybe this one,
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4338

This driver Bucks from 6v-2.7v so an L2 on (2) CR123s should work for about 35-40minutes
Just speculating here.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Whoa, nice mod!

Did you have to trim the McR38 to adjust the focus or did it just happen to work? Could you post some pictures of the heatsink and the internals?

PS Any plans for that KL2 head? :D

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoa, nice mod!

Did you have to trim the McR38 to adjust the focus or did it just happen to work? Could you post some pictures of the heatsink and the internals?

PS Any plans for that KL2 head? :D

It just happened to work out:grin2:
I did have to trim a retaining ring off the M3 head to make the Mcr38 fit inside it though.

The internals are nothing special.....the Heatsink is just a chunk of aluminum about 5/8" in diameter and about as thick. The driver is mounted in the old location of the L2 driver. There are wires running from the driver to LED, so the head is not really taken off. I need only to remove the tailcap to swap new batteries. All the parts on this light are now pretty much dedicated to this light. I have extra E-C & C-M adaptors so it just stays assembled.

Now that I've been able to use it for a while, the P7 is really cool!!

I am getting 2 levels by using the L2 tailcap. The low is great, if not way too bright, but the High is just Fun!!! :devil:

As for the KL2.....I have a few different ideas:whistle:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those L5 and L6 pictures look a little funny... Not like any flashlight I've seen!

HAHA!!!!:crackup::crackup:

I've been cleaning up my photobucket account and all these new pics have been replacing old!:crackup:

Oh well:shrug:....Thats my 1978 Chevette that I'm building:twothumbs:laughing:

Beamshots are lost forever:mecry:...but not the car:p

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I TOTALED a '78 Chevette in "79 listening to "DARK SIDE OF THE MOON"

what a long strange trip it's been.......

PaulZR-1

Newly Enlightened
hi DaFABRICATA,

can you please specify which driver you´ve been using?
I´ve got the L2 with the MC-E but I want to try the P7. I don´t like the cross in the beam of the MC-E.
Does the tailcap operate in the same way as the stock driver works? I mean that you press the tailcapbutton a little that you have the low beam and when you press further you have the high beam?

thanks
Paul

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi PaulZR-1,

I used a few of those cheap DX-Kia....AMC drivers. I cant remember the exact part#.

The 2 stages still work as they should.

I agree that the KL4/L2 heads reflector works better with the P7 than the MC-E.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.