pixel.gif
DBS V2 w/ DI Cree XR-E WC Q5 (OP) - $120
pixel.gif
DBS V2 w/ DI Cree XR-E WC Q5 (SMO) - $125
pixel.gif
DBS V2 w/ DI Cree XR-E WC Q5 (SMO & OP) - $145

brett174

Newly Enlightened
I'd be interested to know as well. I'm looking at getting the 1SM-1 with Smooth reflector, as i have a few CR123's already and dont want to get into 18650's. Is this is bright as the other options?

bessiebenny

Enlightened
I have no idea either. But as far as what Dereelight states, all of them has a High mode feeding 1.2A to emitter.
So theoretically, the outputs regardless of the driver model should all be the same or very similar really.
(correction, multi-volatage input driver ones seems to feed only 1A to emitter.)

My friend has the 1SM-1 SMO and it's a monster thrower. But, if it was me, I would get the 2SD with both SMO and OP as it'll be more practical. =)

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Digital pills are driven at 1.2a, but have a max input of 4.2v(18650 or 17670).

The multi power pills are driven at 1.0a, but allow the use of 2 or more CR123s. Here's a link to the different pills; http://www.dereelight.com/pills.htm

My personal favorite is the 3SD.

Last edited:

hivoltage

Enlightened
I just got my Dereelight CL1H V3 3SD last night. It is now the brightest light I have. I am very happy with it. It throws really well with the smooth reflector in it. I havnt even tried the OP reflector in it yet. It blows my Fenix TK10 away. There is not much comparison between the 2 in brightness and throw. Get One!!!!

Zenster

Enlightened
looking for best throw...

The DBS with any module that is shown to draw 1.2 amps and uses whatever kind of battery you want to use. Keep in mind that the Deree modules are battery specific and you can't change back and forth once you've chosen.

For absolute best throw, use a SM reflector, but the DBS is a much better light with the OP reflector.
With the OP, you don't lose much throw, but you pick up a lot better spill which makes the light way more useful.
Get both reflectors so you can play around a bit.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
For absolute best throw, use a SM reflector, but the DBS is a much better light with the OP reflector.

It's a much better light with a OP? Not if you want it for maximum throw. :) I find the OP cuts the lux at one meter in half.

Wattnot

Enlightened
The DBS with any module that is shown to draw 1.2 amps and uses whatever kind of battery you want to use. Keep in mind that the Deree modules are battery specific and you can't change back and forth once you've chosen.

I'm not sure what you're saying Zenster but so there's no confusion for the OP, at this time there are NO 1.2 amp pills from Dereelight that allow you to use 2 CR123 batteries (6 volts).

Unfortunately you will give up a little output if you must use CR123's. The reason is that you end up with a pill that draws 1 amp as opposed to a 1.2 amp pill. How noticable will that loss be, I have no idea. But in recent throw tests (of up to 600 feet), the Tiablo A series did very well against the DBS. Look for a thread by RICHS to see that.

That being said, you might want the Tiablo A9. The A9 is designed specifically for CR123's but will run with 18650's at a reduced output. The Tiablo A8 is designed for the 18650 but will work with CR123's but I recall you having to somehow knock the initial "new battery" voltage down a tad and then I'm not sure what happens to the output or operation.

Always a compromise with this stuff . . . push a bubble down here and it pops up over there!

roymail

Enlightened
I just got my Dereelight CL1H V3 3SD last night. It is now the brightest light I have. I am very happy with it. It throws really well with the smooth reflector in it. I havnt even tried the OP reflector in it yet. It blows my Fenix TK10 away. There is not much comparison between the 2 in brightness and throw. Get One!!!!
Are you driving it with an 18650? :duh2:

Zenster

Enlightened
It's a much better light with a OP? Not if you want it for maximum throw. :) I find the OP cuts the lux at one meter in half.

If you parse my words, absolutely. The DBS is a much "better light" (overall) with the OP, not a better "thrower".
I would venture a guess that for most people, a "better light" means having good enough throw to get some distance lighting, but even more importantly in real world use, a "better light" means having good spill so that you can light up an area large enough to see what you're doing.

With the SM in my DBS for what little time I left it in when I bought it, using it at night with it's narrow beam felt silly because I found myself having to dance the light all around in front of me to see anything.
Now if a person's "real world" use for a light is to gather the neighbor kids together and show them how you can put a beam on a tree 150 yards away to look at a tall branch, then the DBS with SM might be that person's preference.