I caused some Light-envy last night!

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I own a business, and I received a call from our alarm monitoring company last night, around 10:00, that the alarm had gone off. One of the motion sensors had picked up on some movement inside the store.

I told the alarm company to go ahead and call the police, and I'd head down to the store.

Had I been thinking, I would have grabbed my M6 - but I was in a bit of a hurry and just grabbed my E2DL (since I keep it on my keychain).

By the time I arrived at the store, the police officer was sitting in his car, in the parking lot in front of the store, waiting for me to arrive.

He had already gone around the front and back of the store and confirmed that nothing seemed out of place - there were no signs of forced entry. The motion sensor that had picked up movement and tripped the alarm was in a back room of my building, and somebody could only have gotten into it via forced entry...so both the office and I were pretty sure nobody was in the building.

Even so, we both went in to check things out. We entered from the front of the building, but my light switches are all in the very back, so it was dark. The officer and I both, in complete unison, grabbed and activated our flashlights. His was a standard 3-cell incandescent Mag light, and mine was the SureFire E2DL.

As both of our lights hit the darkness, he immediately looked at mine and said "Wow!". His big club, of course, produced a fraction of the light as my small light that's the size of my open hand.

After we had made it to the back of the store, and confirmed everything was as it should be and that nobody was (or had been) inside the store, the office asked, "Can I see that?" I handed him my light and he seemed giddy at its size and power.

He handed it back with an affirmation that he was going to get one for himself! :):)

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Yup, that's pretty much the same response I get when others compare their maglites to my E2E. I don't like to show my light to people without having a lesser light for comparison. It's hard to tell the awsomeness without a comparison.

ETA: Good story!

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
Nice story, and always good to have another flashaholic. We're growing, guys. Our next course of action? TAKE OVER THE FALKLAND ISLANDS! :devil:

One night I was out fishing for softshell crab where I used to live (Alabama) and on the way home I saw a rather large (Not particularly muscular, just girthy) guy running from an officer. He was headed towards the front of my car so I quickly pulled over, snatched up my M6 (with high output lamp, whooo.), and shined it directly in his face. He fell backwards into a small collection of puddle water and was swiftly apprehended by the officer. After everything was taken care of he asked me what kind of light it was to knock someone down, and I let him shine it around a bit. Maybe it was just the fact that he was using a mag, but he was amazed that something the size of a mag could be so bright. I offered to show him the MaxaBeam I had with me, but he declined and took home Surefire's website, writted on a paper towel.

Vindication is a flashaholic's greatest wish, am I right?

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, you carry a Surefire E-Series Defender Led on your keychain? That is hardcore!

Yeah - I find it's the perfect setup for my EDC needs. During the workday, I have a laptop backpack I carry, and I keep my keys there. When I'm not working, I typically have the light hanging on the outside of my jeans' front pocket with the keys inside my pocket. Perhaps it's not for everyone - but it works for me!

IMG_2847.jpg

maxa beam

Banned
Yeah - I find it's the perfect setup for my EDC needs. During the workday, I have a laptop backpack I carry, and I keep my keys there. When I'm not working, I typically have the light hanging on the outside of my jeans' front pocket with the keys inside my pocket. Perhaps it's not for everyone - but it works for me!

IMG_2847.jpg

Haha, that's awesome. I haven't thought about it but that thing fits pretty well as a keychainer, ah?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story cyberpunk. The E2DL is a seriously nice looking light and I see it goes well on the keychain too!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice!

The other night I was out walking with my wife. I had a Turboheaded 9P. The police were searching the neighborhood as we have had problems with break ins. We chatted with them and then walked home, our house was about a block away by then. I was lighting up yards on the way. My neighbor noticed and flagged us down. He knew it was me because of the light. He and his wife were very impressed. I got blinded by my own light as it was pointed at me when they were trying to figure out the switch. My wife mentioned that it was a very expensive flashlight. My neighbor said "How much, $40?" When I told him he was holding about $180 dollars in flashlight parts he immediately gave it back!

I'm the flashlight guy on the block!

maxa beam

Banned
Very Nice!

The other night I was out walking with my wife. I had a Turboheaded 9P. The police were searching the neighborhood as we have had problems with break ins. We chatted with them and then walked home, our house was about a block away by then. I was lighting up yards on the way. My neighbor noticed and flagged us down. He knew it was me because of the light. He and his wife were very impressed. I got blinded by my own light as it was pointed at me when they were trying to figure out the switch. My wife mentioned that it was a very expensive flashlight. My neighbor said "How much, $40?" When I told him he was holding about $180 dollars in flashlight parts he immediately gave it back!

I'm the flashlight guy on the block!
Haha, nice feeling to be the brightest kid on the block, isn't it?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love when this happens.
Especially when they look down the barrel and activate the high beam right into their own face blinding themselves for a moment or two.
That will teach them to look down the barrel of a flashlight:confused:.
My flashlights allways deaw the envy of any local cops who happen to be around when I am using them.
Cool.
Yaesumofo

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope your key doesn't wear out in the ignition. Some cars are known to have problems with the key wearing from too much weight on the key chain. :mecry:

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
I hope your key doesn't wear out in the ignition. Some cars are known to have problems with the key wearing from too much weight on the key chain. :mecry:

Interesting! Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out on it. I used an E2D for awhile like this without any problem, so I don't anticipate a problem...but now I know to watch for it!

My keychain has a quick detach button so that I can quickly & easily detach the light from the rest of the keys. Perhaps I'll get in the habit of doing that when I get in the car...

Telemeister

Newly Enlightened
I love when this happens.
Especially when they look down the barrel and activate the high beam right into their own face blinding themselves for a moment or two.

That happens to almost everyone who asks to have a look at my Surefires!! They point it to some object far away and say "wow, thats bright", then they point it straight into their eyes to confirm!! Very funny!

maxa beam

Banned
That happens to almost everyone who asks to have a look at my Surefires!! They point it to some object far away and say "wow, thats bright", then they point it straight into their eyes to confirm!! Very funny!

Exactly what people do with my lights.

Unless it's an M6. They just look at the spot and figure that's good enough.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
I was out with my work in the Mojave desert one weekend conducting a test,and a few guys from NASA were there. I whipped out my Surefire M4 when one of the generators went down about a 50 yards away. One of the guys from NASA was commenting on how bright it was, so I handed it to him. He promptly pointed it right at his face and turned it on, I probably could have stopped him, but well we all know why I didn't, he was seeing stars the rest of the night.

Latest posts