Waiting impatiently for the night!

I remember when they came back to theatres in 1997. Then Episode 1 in 1999 and Episode 2 in like 2001 or so.
Yes, '97 was the release of the updated special effects version. I was working in TV at the time, so it is very clear in my memory. Ironically Fox acquired us a year later in '98. They moved me to LA where I worked as an editor until '02 when Disney bought our division and fired basically everyone. No complaints. I've seen what LA has turned into.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
You mention brand new bridge @Guitar Guy is it a big ole arch bridge that took about 5 years to build?
Well, yessir, it is. Took that long to build, and probably over 50 years to talk about it, do studies, decide on a location, and plan for it. They built it off site, about a mile up the river, and then floated it down with barges and put it in place. I think that was the first time it's been done that way.

I took hundreds of photos of the progress as they built it, and photos and videos while they did the move. Our mayor and council hired me as the town photographer a while ago, because they always seem to think that the pics I put on facebook are pretty good. Our mayor wanted to get 5" x 7" magnets made to give out for the grand opening, and wanted me to get a good pic. Problem was, to do that in time, I had to get a photo about a month ahead of time before it was completely done, and still had cranes, trucks, generators, and porta johns sitting all over it. So I had to take a few hours to delete all of that junk out and fill it in to make it presentable. Then, I had to do that a 2nd time because the magnet maker wanted the larger full size photo to keep it more clear, so I did it again for that one.

I guess they had to close off the entry ways to the arches while it was being built because kids were going all the way up top, on the inside. They found cigarette butts and empty cans up there.

That's a cool photo that your boss took.

So how did your company end up being in on it? Were you up here, or a crew?

Here's the magnet photo. Maybe I'll post a few of the others later in another thread if you're interested. I got some good ones, but I don't want to hi-jack this thread too badly.

2.JPG

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Well, yessir, it is. Took that long to build, and probably over 50 years to talk about it, do studies, decide on a location, and plan for it. They built it off site, about a mile up the river, and then floated it down with barges and put it in place. I think that was the first time it's been done that way.

I took hundreds of photos of the progress as they built it, and photos and videos while they did the move. Our mayor and council hired me as the town photographer a while ago, because they always seem to think that the pics I put on facebook are pretty good. Our mayor wanted to get 5" x 7" magnets made to give out for the grand opening, and wanted me to get a good pic. Problem was, to do that in time, I had to get a photo about a month ahead of time before it was completely done, and still had cranes, trucks, generators, and porta johns sitting all over it. So I had to take a few hours to delete all of that junk out and fill it in to make it presentable. Then, I had to do that a 2nd time because the magnet maker wanted the larger full size photo to keep it more clear, so I did it again for that one.

I guess they had to close off the entry ways to the arches while it was being built because kids were going all the way up top, on the inside. They found cigarette butts and empty cans up there.

That's a cool photo that your boss took.

So how did your company end up being in on it? Were you up here, or a crew?

Here's the magnet photo. Maybe I'll post a few of the others later in another thread if you're interested. I got some good ones, but I don't want to hi-jack this thread too badly.

View attachment 55132
There's a road maintenance thread in the cafe area. Great place to tell your story about this Wellsburg bridge.

My boss was the Quality Assurance Manager for the project. The company I work for had a bunch of inspectors on the project. I was not one of them. Nope, I stay on the ground.

Last edited: