Ra Clicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
I know many of you have been waiting a long time for this announcement. Wait no longer.

This thread is to discuss the technical aspects of the upcoming Ra Clicky flashlight. A preliminary description can be viewed here. We will be expanding the information available over the next month.

Henry.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

^^^ testing my paypal sent hotkey. I'll be getting one when they come out :thumbsup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Henry if you made a spark plug with a light on it I'd buy one:D I take it that the levels will be adjustable?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Anybody else think that this might be a good time to get the HDS/RA threads started up again?:whistle:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok ok where's the pictures?
Everything sounds like it's picking up where the EDC left off.

Henry what scheme have you taken on the clicky with regard to rechargeables? What I mean is with the Ra I just noticed that you said the light will just cut off to save the battery when the low voltage cut off is triggered. The EDC killed the battery inorder to give the user every bit of light.

Will the Clicky save the life of the battery or the user?

I'm surprised you choose to save the battery in the Twisty. What was the reason behind that decision?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
GREAT news Henry!

Thanks. Now it looks like I have yet another flashlight in my future... :)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally a flashlight to look forward to.
(I am not excited about those many "300 lumen tacti-cool flashlights" I read on CPF these days).

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Tebore,

Per the manual:

Warning: do not continue using a rechargeable battery once the
flashlight has started blinking once a second. Continued use of a
rechargeable battery past this point will result in sudden darkness
when the light is eventually forced off to protect the battery.

This means that the battery has very little capacity remaining since it cannot even drive the lowest level. The difference in runtime between saving the battery and destroying the battery at this power level is so small as to not be meaningful - a matter of minutes. We decided it was better to error on the side of safety.

Henry.

Brownstone

Enlightened
:mecry: - No pictures, I'm so frustrated!

Also, the description doesn't say what size battery. 3xAAA I assume :crackup:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tebore,

Per the manual:

This means that the battery has very little capacity remaining since it cannot even drive the lowest level. The difference in runtime between saving the battery and destroying the battery at this power level is so small as to not be meaningful - a matter of minutes. We decided it was better to error on the side of safety.

Henry.

Will the clicky retain this design? That's disappointing I would have preferred the old way. A few minutes is a few minutes, I'd take those minutes over saving the battery.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the clicky retain this design? That's disappointing I would have preferred the old way. A few minutes is a few minutes, I'd take those minutes over saving the battery.
But this goes only for rechargeables, or not? I would never rely on a rechargeable in critical situations (of course, sometimes you don't have the choice).

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really a sad news for my wallet...

Another vote to bring back the old HDS section on CPF.:thumbsup:

About the battery: I like the way the old EDC tells you that you are going to kill your battery if you choose not to change it. You get warned but if you're in an emergency situation, the light won't turn off.

I really like the fact that you don't have to worry if your li-ion is not protected.

Last edited:

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
So glad there are 4 levels!!
4 levels is the best in my opinion....
What i'd like to know is if there might just happen to be CR and CW versions (like TR and TW)... How sweet would it be to have low red, and three levels of programmable white?? Man i'd be all over that.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
:takeit:
This is great news. I'll be standing in line for this one.

The Website says it will be the "smallest." I hope it's not TOO small. The Fenix P2D can be tough to use. One thing I like about the Novatac/HDS design is that it's wide enough to fill the hand. Sometimes I find a skinnier light like the SF L1 is not as comfortable as my Novatac when I'm wearing heavy gloves, because I feel like I'm going to drop it.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Henry, I looked for your PM address and can't seem to find it and, I looked for an e-mail address with the same result Henry, no dice. What I was just going to post should be in a PM or an e-mail but, if need be, I'll be happy to air on the forums--your choice.

Karl

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Wrencher,

Both, of course. :)

Tebore,

That aspect of the design will remain the same.

GadgetNerd,

Through the regular dealers.

Enzo Morocioli,

The output options available with the Ra Twisty will carry over to the Ra Clicky.

GottaWareShades,

Per the web page, it is 1" in diameter. I think you will find it conformable in your hand.

Karl,

The e-mail address is on our web site under the "Contact Us" heading.

Henry.

Status
Not open for further replies.