What is the best aspheric lens for my MM

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Re: Anywhere else to buy an aspheric lens?

Anchor Optics sells a 52mm that fits in a C/D Mag with some bezel work. I bought 5 of them and they're pretty nice, experimental grade optics.

Marduke

Flashaholic

DX

Is there any reason this wasn't continued in the original MiniMag throw thread started asking this question??

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that the FL is too big, for reference the regular Mag has a 35 - 38 mm fl, and my custom Lumapower M1 has a 15 mm FL something between 15 - 20mm would be more suitable for a minimag, IMO.

Can you measure the distance between the inside glass and the yellow emmiter surface? That distance would be your focal lenght IIRC

AlexGT

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened

I think that the FL is too big, for reference the regular Mag has a 35 - 38 mm fl, and my custom Lumapower M1 has a 15 mm FL something between 15 - 20mm would be more suitable for a minimag, IMO.

Can you measure the distance between the inside glass and the yellow emmiter surface? That distance would be your focal lenght IIRC

AlexGT

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]L3993[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DCX[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 22.0[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]N[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4.00[/FONT]
What kind of convex lens would be best? Is is plano, double, or what? As yall know I am basically a complete n00b when it comes to this type of stuff. Would the smaller focal length mean a higher throw than a bigger focal length? Instead of getting an acrylic ball, would a glass ball be better? Thanks for yalls help.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that the DCX or double convex is slimmer than the PCX or Plano convex, IIRC as long as it's aspherical the result will be the same IMO.

BTW did you measure the distance from the glass to the led? Is your minimag a regular short bezel or a Magled with the longer bezel? This will affect the distance of the FL.

AlexGT

Last edited:

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened

J.[B said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/B]
What kind of convex lens would be best? Is is plano, double, or what?

As long as they are aspheric, you should be able to get a good focus without too much chromatic abberations (rainbows along the edges of the focused beam).

One disadvantage of a double convex compared to a plano convex, is the curved face of a double convex will not be able to catch all the light from the emitter. This is because the curvature of the lens increases the angle of incidence of the light, and it just reflects outwards instead of entering the lens.
THe flat face of the plano convex will 'catch' all the light that hits it.
Hope i did not confuse too many ppl, will post a pic of my light with a double convex lens. Lens diameter is 50mm, but effective diameter only 40mm cause the light reflects off the outside 5mm edge due to the curvature.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened

I think that the DCX or double convex is slimmer than the PCX or Plano convex, IIRC as long as it's aspherical the result will be the same IMO.

BTW did you measure the distance from the glass to the led? Is your minimag a regular short bezel or a Magled with the longer bezel? This will affect the distance of the FL.

AlexGT

I got the regular mini mag with an LED drop in. After reading what yall are talking about I now know what a FL is. From what I understand I want the FL of the lens to match the FL of the mini mag. Can someone take a pic to show exactly where I need to measure from? Also I just need to find a small metric ruler. I don't think my tape measure will work.:oops:

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
Decided to change the title of this thread to make it reflect what I am really looking for. I need to find the best aspheric lens to use on my MM with terralux red LED drop-in to give me the best throw possible for it. I don't have a way to measure the F.L. for it since I only have Stanley tape measures used in construction so I need someone who knows it or can measure for me. Also need someone who can link me to that lens so that I can save the link for when I decide to buy everything. I am gathering as much info as I can and then purchase everything at once. This light is needed for hunting hogs at night.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I have ordered a few PCX lenses from Anchor to try in my Terralux driven minimag. When they arrive (early next week I hope) I'll let you know how it goes. Aspheric/PCX lenses like these are somewhat difficult to find on a flashaholic budget because the FL is shorter than the lens diameter in most instances. Experimental grade optics are about as cheap as you can get, and really they're ideal for flashlights. The lens I have on order has a 23mm FL, so I think it'll be ok. I also got a few to try in other lights.. a 6P Clone and a Fenix T1. Pocket throwers for the win! :twothumbs

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered a few PCX lenses from Anchor to try in my Terralux driven minimag. When they arrive (early next week I hope) I'll let you know how it goes. Aspheric/PCX lenses like these are somewhat difficult to find on a flashaholic budget because the FL is shorter than the lens diameter in most instances. Experimental grade optics are about as cheap as you can get, and really they're ideal for flashlights. The lens I have on order has a 23mm FL, so I think it'll be ok. I also got a few to try in other lights.. a 6P Clone and a Fenix T1. Pocket throwers for the win! :twothumbs

Sweet. Thanks man. If for some reason you don't like that lens for the MM you can always donate it to the BRA charity. The Broke Rednecks Anonymous Charity.:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
EDIT: This post was to address the optics questions above my previous post.

I dont think you really want a DCX. It'll refocus the light to a point at the focal length, which, at the lengths you'd use a flashlight for, will nullify the use of the optic. You need a collimating lens, like a PCX.

J.McDonald Knives

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: This post was to address the optics questions above my previous post.

I dont think you really want a DCX. It'll refocus the light to a point at the focal length, which, at the lengths you'd use a flashlight for, will nullify the use of the optic. You need a collimating lens, like a PCX.

So for a standard MM with terralux LED drop-in I will need a 22mm PCX with a 15-18mm F.L.?

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I havent measured the exact FL required to get the die to project onto a wall, and I can't right now since my only MM is at work. I basically bought the shortest FL PCX i could find in the 21.5-22.5 diameter range. When it comes in, I'll evaluate its performance. I figured even if it wasn't perfect, even if its a few mm out of focus it'll still be pretty tight, if my aspheric C/D mags are any indication.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
So the 23mm FL was too long. It actually cleaned up the beam pattern but it was all flood because it was very out of focus. It looks like you'd need something odd, like a 14mm focal length for a minimag.

I also somehow destroyed my terralux drop-in while playing around with the focal length. It won't light up anymore.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you guys are trying to hard

A simple acrylic aspheric lens (half a acrylic ball) From the Sandwich shoppe and a minimag anti-roll lens holder from Home Depot would be a cheaper and simpler set up with out doing any damage to the LED

Latest posts