2008 E2L / KX2 Tint = Green (Really Green)?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incidentally, what does "warm" mean in reference to LED tint? I have heard yellow, red and green all described as "warm".

In general use on CPF, it usually refers to an off-white tint in the yellowish or greenish direction. Note that even the "neutral" white LEDs can look bluish depending on ambient light and the adjustment of your eyes.

In a narrower use, "warm white" LEDs are advertised as having low color temperature and high CRI, usually at the expense of lumen output. Most flashlight LEDs are not in this category.

My Surefire L5 (w/ Luxeon V) has a cream-colored tint that I find to be just about perfect. My Surefire E2L (Cree, single level) is more greenish. My Inova T2-MP (Luxeon K2-TFFC) is more yellowish and almost like an incandescent beam. To me, all three of these are superior to a bluish-tinted beam.

Of all the common flashlight LEDs, only the K2-TFFC seems to have a consistently warm tint.

H2Orower

Enlightened
If SF advertised the KX2 as having a green tint, would you have still bought it?

I'm not sure if you're asking someone in particular, but that's a good question.

My answer would be "probably, yes". The thing that bothered me the most about my prior "green" KX2s was that I just assumed that there was something wrong with them because they were so different from my L1,E1B and E2DL. If they were advertised as having a green tint for a particular reason then I would most likely buy one just to see how they compared with other offerings. I just want to have confidence in the product and not be wondering if it's in someway defective.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If SF advertised the KX2 as having a green tint, would you have still bought it?

Yes - I bought the E2L for the nice dual output, monster runtimes and durability.

As for all my surefires, tint is really the last thing I care about, if at all.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I'm not sure if you're asking someone in particular, but that's a good question.

It was a general question for the OP, but anyone can jump in on it. People would answer it differently, I personally cant stand tint.

I would go as far as saying there would of been a huge decline in the number of filter sales within the last couple of yrs.

If the tint bothers you get in touch with SF, it sure as hell would bother me.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a general question for the OP, but anyone can jump in on it. People would answer it differently, I personally cant stand tint.

I would go as far as saying there would of been a huge decline in the number of filter sales within the last couple of yrs.

If the tint bothers you get in touch with SF, it sure as hell would bother me.

OP here. Bullfrog pretty much expressed my views. Actually, the greenish tint bothers me less than a few lights which are very, very blue/purple in tint. As I said earlier, I'm not a whitewall hunter. I was mostly curious whether this is common with this model - the answer appears to be yes. I'm cool, it's cool.
:D