• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

2016 tn12

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the 2016 tn12 be direct drive like the previous version?
It seems Thrunite reps pop in only to make announcement these days.
Contact Thrunite CS and let us know.
I'm going to guess that on max, it is not regulated.
On the lower modes, I'm guessing it's buck regulated.
BTW Thrunite advertises its updated Lynx as the first buck-boost regulated light [made by Thrunite] that can provide constant brightness.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what I have read and seen on YT turbo on the 2016 is just like the 2014 which in my opinion is a good thing. Would like to know all of what TN has done to make the 2016 more durable aside from the steel side switch and thicker aluminum. Nice heavier gauge wire and thick solder points?

MisterCandlehands

Newly Enlightened
i think the overall improvment has shown its goodside indeed ny old 2014 model has shown signs of wear and tear and i just dont see that happening with the 2016 model with the stainless mode clicky

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2016 is supposed to have a more robust circuit design as well as thicker aluminum. Want to pick one up but am waiting on the XP-L HI TN4A

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
finally got my NW 2016 TN12 and wow! What an awesome light! Tough, durable and brighter than my NW 2014 version. Love the prominent steel mode switch! Good job Thrunite!

SFD-44

Newly Enlightened
I purchased this light about two months ago. It is indeed a nice little light. I like that is has a mode memory. The majority of my usage of this light, is in the Firefly mode. And not having to destroy one's night vision by scrolling modes is a real advantage. However, at times even the lowest mode seems a bit too bright. I have found that the old accessory cap/colored lens for the Min Maglite fit the tn12 rather well. Plus the rubber cap helps you from fumbling to find the end with the switch, as the light doesn't have a prominent projection end.
The light will roll freely when laying on a sloped surface. The Mag end also helps with this greatly.
Other little peeves include, quite a lot of beam splatter. Being in the fire service (the tn12 is NOT my primary light for this purpose), this has created some inconvenience, since I sometimes use the light in less than crystal clear atmospheres. I would like to see a tighter beam pattern.
Heat sinking is another issue. The light heats rather quickly, and while it hasn't overheated as of yet, I'd rather not subject the battery and components to the stress.
For it's price range however, the tn12 is a very nice little light and i wouldn't discourage anyone from getting one.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
after having had my TN12 2016 for a couple months now I no longer use it. Sure it is bright and all but the tint is not the sweet nice neutral tints I am used to from TN. It actually looks violet. Wish there was a way I could return it for a CW version. Seriously the tint is pushing violet. Other than that the light is built very very well.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad about the tint. Hopefully that was a tint-lemon as ThruNite is one of the few companies out there that offer a neutral white tint amoung the sea of awful blue-purple tints out there, even from reputable companies. I would contact customer service with pictures and see what they can do. They have a reputation to protect and may offer an exchange.