wiring the 8x7135

neilp1

Newly Enlightened
Sorry foir the newbie post, but i want to make sure my wiring of the 8x7135 driver for the P7 is correct.

The 2 wires attached to the driver go to the LED, right. Red to +ve, black to -ve. Then i solder on a red wire to the middle of the OTHER side of the board (directly behind the original red wire) and a black wire to one of the six holes around the edge. The red then goes to battery +ve and the black to battery -ve?

Is this correct, or am i about to blow my driver

Cheers

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Connections can be made to either board since they're both connected.

Img_1431.jpg

neilp1

Newly Enlightened
sweet, thanks for that.

guess that frees up one side for heatsinking purposes, although at 2.8A, im probably not going to need to epoxy this to the heatsink, right?

jamesavery22

Newly Enlightened
Bump...

Just got mine in the mail today. Looks very similar to the one in darkzero's post but the PCBs are green and the diodes are a different type.

Read on the kai page that one guy still soldered across Q1 and Q3 so it looks more like the one on the kai page:
http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1770

Like the pic in darkzero's post my board has no solder between Q3 and the diode and Q1 and the diode. Is that needed?

Guess I should just hook it up and see how much current is being drawn by my P7? If its lower than ~2.5A then I should probably solder those connections?

Thanks,

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump...

Like the pic in darkzero's post my board has no solder between Q3 and the diode and Q1 and the diode. Is that needed?

Thanks,

no its bridged there anyways , via the foil on the board, unless there is something not soldered right , you shouldnt need to add the blob, and i doubt it improves it. that was probably a HAND soldered first item, as the rest of it has that look in similarity. once in production they are no longer soldered by hand, cept the added wires.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Just to clearify so there's no confusion, the one I posted a pic of was not purchased as a 8x7135 board. All the ones I've posted pics of I assembled myself, notice the drilled hole with the jumper connecting both boards.

On the right is a 10x7135 board. :grin2:

Img_2592.jpg

Img_2587.jpg