Urnabeam Beacon Review: New Compact Throw King? (Update: New selector ring model!!)

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Urnabeam Beacon has been flying under the radar and I'm not sure why. I haven't seen or heard much about it, but it's a nice light in a comprehensive rechargeable package for around $90 or $80 w/ free shipping for CPF'rs (http://www.liotec.com/CPF-page.htm). John at Liotec was nice enough to provide me one to review, so here we go..

2834439612_a954d64257.jpg

In all honesty I expected about the same performance as several other lights I have in the same form factor w/ a Q5 after seeing the specs listed for the light (below). But fortunately, there were some surprises in store for me..

Specs

• Specification: High efficiency electrocircuit
  • Output / Runtime: 230 lumen @ 150 minutes
  • Construction: Aircraft grade aluminum CNC machined,
  • hard anodized finish
  • O-ring sealed
  • high transparency optical lens
  • Switch: Tactical button switch
  • charge and recharge protected Li-ion battery
Construction

When I opened the box and took the light out, it didn't have that sleek or tactical look that just grabs you right off the bat like maybe a CL1H. But the more I handled the light, the more I realized how well this light was designed.

The first thing I really appreciated with this light was the knurling. Of all my lights, the aggressiveness of this knurling is second only to my SureFires. I would classify the grip as excellent, but slightly less skin-ripping than the various SureFire lights I own. This is good, because it has a very compact body for an 18650 light. You won't drop this light…

The next very obvious thing you'll notice with this light is the huge reflector for a light of this size. Looking at the light you wouldn't guess it because it looks very average in size, but I would place a bet that this light has the largest reflector of any light in this form factor. I thought the CL1H had a pretty big reflector, but it's not even close! After seeing this, I had an idea of what I was going to see in the throw department. More on that later..

2833604149_1aa8ec0e26.jpg

2834441596_5740c4696e.jpg

2833604625_78fcf32272.jpg

Compared to a CL1H:
2833601835_e41a030354.jpg

The light is hard anodized in black with a slight sheen, and threads are all anodized as well. The anodizing was even and matching throughout, and there were no nics or blemishes that I could see. I was happy to see that the threads were also very nicely lubed, with no gritty feel whatsoever when unscrewing the tailcap or head.

2834439338_6aa706b3bd.jpg

2834439828_abf5a589e1.jpg

2833602815_92de071296.jpg

I'm a Wolf-Eyes fan, and one of the big reasons is the inner brass tube used for carrying the current. I really like that design, as it allows the threads to be anodized for protection and allows for great conductivity. This light has the same design with an inner tube for transferring the current, but I'm not sure what metal the inner tube is made of. It looks like polished stainless, but I can't be sure. It's this type of extra attention to design for reliability that I appreciate in a light.

2834440588_605ca383b8.jpg

2833603761_d4248d0e5d.jpg

2834440818_67b31a923e.jpg

This light has a forward-clicky tactical switch, which has a nice tension without being hard to press. It has some tactical feedback when clicking for constant on, but not as much as I normally like. It feels much closer to a Wolf-Eyes switch than a SureFire.

Overall this light has a solid, well balanced feel, and is lighter than you would expect. I actually carried it in my front pocket very comfortably due to its compact size and design.

I asked about upgradeability because it doesn't appear that the module is removable. I was told that you would have to replace the head to upgrade, but I'm not sure what the cost would be for a new head on this light.

As for the holster, at first I was very happy with it due to the strong nylon construction and the velcro + snap belt closure. However, it doesn't fit the light very snug. It is too long, and there is slack at the bottom of the holster. If you squeeze it in, you can fit the light completely down in the holster which would make the lid overlap too much for the velcro to attach.

Performance

The light I tested is the single-stage version, but Liotec will be carrying a multi-stage version in a couple of weeks. I'm not exactly sure of the bin, but it is very white leaning slightly to the cool side. The Cree emitter is perfectly centered in the reflector (see pics), and has virtually no gap between the emitter and the reflector hole. As I already mentioned, the reflector in this light is huge for a light of this form factor, so I was prepared to see some serious throw – and I did. The reflector is an OP. I don't know if an SMO reflector is available in this light, but it would be in the thrower class (probably up there with the Regalight) if one was available. As far as heat, the light got only slightly warm after about ten minutes of continuous run.

I compared the Beacon with the following lights in a couple of outdoor shots:

• WE Sniper Q5 – AW 18650
  • Urnabeam Beacon Q5 - AW 18650
  • CL1H OP 3SD – AW 18650
  • Solarforce R2 (SF 6P clone) – 2xCR123
2834438578_37c0da3857.jpg

2834438816_950d9ceb60.jpg

These first set of shots were against a white garage wall at 40 ft to compare the size and intensity of the hotspot. They were taken using manual exposure with fstop 2.8 w/ 1 step underexposed. The Beacon was the clear winner here, with a very intense hotspot that was surprisingly brighter than even the CL1H. There have been very few lights of this size I've seen or had that compared to the CL1H in brightness, but this one definitely surpasses it – at least in the hotspot.

WE Sniper Q5 on left / Beacon Q5 on right - 40 ft
2833610831_7bd4e7328a.jpg

Solarforce R2 on left / Beacon Q5 on right - 40ft
2834447324_e1a4fe3929.jpg

CL1H on left / Beacon on right - 40ft
2834447654_7bc1c509c8.jpg

These second set of shots were at a tree at 140 ft. It is clear again that the Beacon maintained the brightest intensity at that distance, but the CL1H seemed to light up more of the area directly around the hotspot, and also had a larger and brighter spill. The Sniper had the largest spill by far, but a very week hotspot. The Solarforce did fine, but it's supposed R2 emitter didn't impress.

Control Shot - ambient light - 140 ft

2834448680_e7b37f9d13.jpg

WE Sniper - 140 ft
2834448266_b6fcf37931.jpg

Solarforce R2 - 140 ft
2834448056_8e2cb4fe94.jpg

CL1H 3SD Q5 WC - 140 ft
2833611789_487b18c356.jpg

Urnabeam Beacon Q5 - 140 ft
2834447860_44e4a8475e.jpg

Sniper-->Solarforce-->CL1H-->Beacon
2850084718_e407df4213_o.gif

Overall the Urnabeam Beacon is a high quality light with a well thought-out design. It has class-leading throw characteristics due to the very large reflector, with plenty of bright spill for close to medium use due to the OP surface. This light comes with the complete rechargeable package which will benefit those who would like a rechargeable light but don't want to purchase all the extras to get it. In my humble opinion, this is definitely one light that needs to get on the radar as it offers a complete package, high quality construction, and at least in throw, stands above the rest.

UPDATE:

I was just found out that there is a new generation 3-stage Beacon coming out in about 3 weeks. It has a very cool selector ring on the tailcap that allows you to select the desired mode: High -> Low -> Strobe.

It looks like a very cool integrated design. Here's a pic of the new model:

2889243019_9d34ef7536_o.jpg

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
Re: Urnabeam Beacon Review: vs. CL1H, WE Sniper, Solarforce R2 (Outdoor Beamshots)

Seems like Urnabeam did their homework with that reflector; the beam is very nice.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Urnabeam Beacon Review: vs. CL1H, WE Sniper, Solarforce R2 (Outdoor Beamshots)

Very nice, but we don't see is the spill of each light to compare. The Urnabeam may have more light in the hot spot at the cost of less overall spill compared to some of the other lights. Can you make some beamshots that show the spill.

Still overall a very nice package deal indeed. What is also important is if I drop it on a concrete floor will it still work. Some do and some don't. Concrete floors tell no lies. :huh:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice, but we don't see is the spill of each light to compare. The Urnabeam may have more light in the hot spot at the cost of less overall spill compared to some of the other lights. Can you make some beamshots that show the spill.

Still overall a very nice package deal indeed. What is also important is if I drop it on a concrete floor will it still work. Some do and some don't. Concrete floors tell no lies. :huh:
The spill can be seen pretty clearly in the 140 ft shots on the ground in front of the target tree, and on the sheds on the right and the white garage on the far left.

cal..45

Enlightened

thanks for this interesting and informative test. looks like the dereelight stays the winner for me in that contest, it provides the best compromise between flood (spill) and throw.

regards, holger

sims2k

Enlightened

Thanks for the comparison. Very interesting new light. I will wait for the multi-mode version though. Low mode is important to me.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the comparison. Very interesting new light. I will wait for the multi-mode version though. Low mode is important to me.
I was thinking the same, great light but just seems like its missing something at that brightness and price.

DM51

Flashaholic

Good review, and an impressive light. Moving this to the Review section.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for this interesting and informative test. looks like the dereelight stays the winner for me in that contest, it provides the best compromise between flood (spill) and throw.

regards, holger
Thanks holger, I appreciate it.

I agree, the CL1H does provide a more balanced beam as it diverts more of the light to the spill. The Beacon absolutely leans toward throw with it's huge reflector pushing more light into the spot. It all depends on what you are looking for. One point I would like to make though, is that there are quite a few lights in this form factor that provide a pretty even mix between throw and spill. This light is definitely set apart by it's extreme performance on the throw side. The nice thing about it is that they used an OP reflector for still very bright side spill, and they kept the hotspot very large and usable unlike some of the big thrower class lights with needle-sized hotspots that were designed for just pure throw.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking the same, great light but just seems like its missing something at that brightness and price.
Completely agree - the vast majority will want the multi-mode version - like I mentioned it will be available in about 2 weeks. This review informs you of the build quality of the light, and some of the features that set it apart, such as the large reflector for great throw. You can see by this review what this thing can do on high - just figure in the multiple modes and you'll be good to go.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened

Great Job with the review Rich. We will have Multi mode available in the coming weeks. I will you all know when they come in.

Thanks
John

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

If throw is your goal, drop a smooth reflector in the CL1H and it will surpass the Urnabeam, but I find the OP reflectors are better for most jobs.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

If throw is your goal, drop a smooth reflector in the CL1H and it will surpass the Urnabeam, but I find the OP reflectors are better for most jobs.
Probably true Wade, until you drop a smooth reflector in the Beacon. It's hard for the CL1H to compete against the larger, deeper Beacon reflector design when it comes to throw. I asked John about the availability of a smooth reflector for the Beacon, and he is checking into it. I figure it is only a matter of time before they make one available.

But considering most will want to use the OP reflector since it is better suited to all-around use, I don't think the availability of an SMO reflector for this light is a big issue. The Beacon provides the maximum throw in this size class with an OP reflector for a smooth beam and bright spill.

Not to take anything away from the CL1H (I'm also a big fan) :thumbsup:, but the designers of this light found a creative way to squeeze a huge, well-focused reflector into a light that fits in your pocket.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Urnabeam Hunter and it will out throw some of my other lights with CL1H sized reflectors. However, something like a Fenix TK11 with a smooth reflector, or CL1H with smooth reflector, will beat it for throw, and be smaller lights.

I like my Urnabeam Hunter, but I have an early version with the older switch / circuit which I'm not terribly fond of.

If a smooth reflector was a available for the Urnabeams it would be a different story, but I haven't seen one available, and my Urnabeam is sealed up so tight I don't know how I'd go about changing it.

Also the reflector looks similar to the reflector used in the Regalight WT1, when they were available. They came with smooth and op reflectors, and with the smooth they really throw.

Last edited:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Re: Urnabeam Beacon Review: New Compact Throw King? (Outdoor Beamshots - vs. CL1H)

This light is maybe quite bright...but it looks like a SF 6P...:thumbsdow

But thanks for the nice review! :naughty:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Urnabeam Hunter and it will out throw some of my other lights with CL1H sized reflectors. However, something like a Fenix TK11 with a smooth reflector, or CL1H with smooth reflector, will beat it for throw, and be smaller lights.

I like my Urnabeam Hunter, but I have an early version with the older switch / circuit which I'm not terribly fond of.

If a smooth reflector was a available for the Urnabeams it would be a different story, but I haven't seen one available, and my Urnabeam is sealed up so tight I don't know how I'd go about changing it.

Also the reflector looks similar to the reflector used in the Regalight WT1, when they were available. They came with smooth and op reflectors, and with the smooth they really throw.

Thanks for the insights Wade. That's really all I was saying - apples to apples (OP vs. OP reflector -or- SMO vs. SMO reflector) the Beacon will have the most throw due to it's deceptively large and deep reflector in such a compact light. This light seemed like a sleeper to me in regards to it's throwing ability since I hadn't heard much about it. I really hope John is able to get a SMO version for ultimate throw some are looking for. But I still think that the great throw it has while maintaining the multi-purpose beam thanks to the OP reflector is the best option for this light.

As far as dis-assembly, the light has a retaining ring in the front that can be removed with the proper tool. Someone else posted a review of the Beacon where they said they removed the reflector and module pretty easily: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202911

-Rich

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Urnabeam Beacon Review: New Compact Throw King? (Outdoor Beamshots - vs. CL1H)

This light is maybe quite bright...but it looks like a SF 6P...:thumbsdow

But thanks for the nice review! :naughty:

Really, you think so?? I guess the knurling placement is the same as the 6P, but the head is very different in size and design, and the tailcap is somewhat different..it's definitely not a 6P clone.

Like I said in my review, it definitely didn't initially strike me as an especially sleek/tactical looking light, but after handling the light the very functional design and high quality build did impress me.
2861935173_8ab93c97b3.jpg

2834439338_6aa706b3bd.jpg

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

As far as dis-assembly, the light has a retaining ring in the front that can be removed with the proper tool. Someone else posted a review of the Beacon where they said they removed the reflector and module pretty easily: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202911

-Rich

Glad to hear you can take it apart. My Urnabeam Hunter doesn't have a retaining ring and I don't see a way to open it. It reminds of me a SF 6P Defender as it has a pretty aggressive strike bezel.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened

WadeF
I think you should be able to take the head off even on the old Hunter to get at the LED.

Glad to hear you can take it apart. My Urnabeam Hunter doesn't have a retaining ring and I don't see a way to open it. It reminds of me a SF 6P Defender as it has a pretty aggressive strike bezel.

toby_pra

Flashaholic

Really, you think so?? I guess the knurling placement is the same as the 6P, but the head is very different in size and design, and the tailcap is somewhat different..it's definitely not a 6P clone.

No, it dont looks like a clone, you are right. :popcorn:
But i think its a little bit similar, esspecially the Body and Tailcap, no freshy design. :candle:

Latest posts