GE 7 watt Par20 'bulb' with 3 "warm" high power LEDs

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know anything about this GE branded bulb? Stumbled across it at WalMart for $35. It was easy to pass over all the floodlights with masses of 5mm LEDs in the aisle, but this thing is different. It has three high power LEDs each with a small optic, all sitting behind a diffuser screen. This assembly is centered in a heavy dark anodized ventilated aluminum heatsink that makes up the rest of a typical Par20 shaped bulb.

Beam characteristic is something of a soft spot, and it has a very warm color temperature.

Granted it is rather expensive, but the heat sink clearly represents a significant design and tooling investment on the part of the manufacturer. I hope this is the start of a wave of well designed fixed LED lighting solutions about to hit consumer shelves.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about this GE branded bulb? Stumbled across it at WalMart for $35. It was easy to pass over all the floodlights with masses of 5mm LEDs in the aisle, but this thing is different. It has three high power LEDs each with a small optic, all sitting behind a diffuser screen. This assembly is centered in a heavy dark anodized ventilated aluminum heatsink that makes up the rest of a typical Par20 shaped bulb.

Beam characteristic is something of a soft spot, and it has a very warm color temperature.

Granted it is rather expensive, but the heat sink clearly represents a significant design and tooling investment on the part of the manufacturer. I hope this is the start of a wave of well designed fixed LED lighting solutions about to hit consumer shelves.

Can I trouble you for some photos of this unit? I passed along the info to a coworker and we're going to head out that ways to see if we can't find any. If I get one I'll get you a spectral distribution for it.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
ge7watt.jpg

MWClint

Enlightened
I have 3 of these in a floor lamp, providing light for my "hobby" room.
If i can remember, i'll take a few pics of it lighting up the room when i get home later today.

It's this lamp->
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=872140

The warm tint is pleasant. Light output is excellent(as in better than i
expected), beam is very smooth(no rings) and the heatsink keeps the temps
down. even after running them for an hour, you could unscrew the bulb with
your bare hands and they only feel mildy warm.

3 pointing in different directions are plenty to light up a bedroom without
noticing that you arent using standard bulbs. 1 is enough to light up a corner
of a room and will provide enough light to work by. Reading under these lights
is very easy on your eyes. However, as a single light source, you DONT want
to put one in a single fixture that just points down in the center of a room.
It wont be enough light as they _are_ spots.

I want to experiment with these in the kitchen.. i have 5 canister lights built
into the ceiling evenly spaced above the countertops. 3 dropdown lights over
the center island and 1 dropdown directly over the sink. with that combo i
can choose to light up the kitchen with 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, or all 9 bulbs..It will
be more than enough light. here's what i'm working with -> http://v6power.net/clint/mwhq.net/house/9.jpg

snip... here's what i'm working with -> http://v6power.net/clint/mwhq.net/house/9.jpg

Love the kitchen but you'll need to water the fridge a little bit more- looks a bit small. I hear royal blue LEDs make great grow lights for rapid growth.

Sounds like you've got a viable plan there- that sort of arrangement just begs to have LEDs put in. All of my cans have dimmers installed so LEDs are out for now (unless I disconnect them and switch them over to low voltage- seeing as I'm still mudding the new wires theres not much chance there).

I like how the bulb looks- haven't found it yet at my walmart but I've got 3 more to go.

MWClint

Enlightened
3 par 20's lighting up my work area.
(i pulled the shades to keep out ambient light the best i could-
camera is just a point and click fuji)

-the forbidden room- not even the dog enters :D
anyway.....

one pointed at desk, one at wall and one at corner of ceiling.
par20led.jpg

underexposed shots showing the beam patterns
par20ledu.jpg

spill from the 3 lights..other side of room.
par20ledspill.jpg

MWClint

Enlightened
Are those shots over exposed is or that how it really looks light with the lights on?

3 does fill a room..but after looking at those pics..not that much.
spill from edge of windows is probably corrupting it some.

it's a point and shoot camera so i have no control over exposure except
that if i point camera directly at light hotspot it will underexpose.
I can take a few more pics when it's dark out..(no spill from windows)

any pic taking suggestions, besides get a new camera?
it's a fuji e550

it's a fuji e550

Hah, well, you could open the window and expose naturally, lock the exposure, then expose again with the LEDs. Would give a relative amount of light...

Any chance I can trouble you for the UPC code of the light or the walmart number? We can't find them here in Rochester NY so I want them to search surrounding stores (Couldn't find it on the website either)

R33E8

Newly Enlightened

it's a fuji e550

Well according to this: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E550/E55A.HTM

your camera should have a manual mode where you can control the exposure.. I would suggest putting it on a desk or something stable and take the picture without flash. Then adjust the exposure or shutter speed until the light in final picture and room look identical..

IcantC

Enlightened
Hmmm so now I will have to go check my Walmarts when I have some free time for these bulbs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was startled to see these in my local store while perusing (where else?) the lighting section. Almost bought one but I wanted to get more information first. MWClint, I really appreciate the photos!

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Well as of this weekend Palatine and Lake Zurich (Ill Annoy) WalMart stores have them in stock. Sorry I didn't get a SKU or code. Too expensive for now.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah, once the store realizes that virtually nobody is buying them at that price (when you can get 3 CFLs for $10 in the same isle), they might drop the price a bit.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a couple of these as well at my own WalMart in the Chino Spectrum Town Center. It's a "Supercenter" Wal Mart if that makes any difference.

There's also a GE GU-10 LED bulb near it but it has 5mm leds instead.