Fenix PD20 Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has new series of flashlights that are CR123 based called the "PD" series - they are basically "P" (xD) series updated -

PD20_30sz.jpg

There are obvious cosmetic changes.

Once again this Fenix PD20 is through the very kind courtesy of 4sevens -
it's a single CR123 light using a "Premium" Cree XR-E - Q5 emitter - with updated cosmetic changes - which I think makes it look very attractive.

For me one of the main improvement is the 4 anti-roll flats on the octagonal nut-like part of the head.

Size -
PD20sz.jpg

Head -
PD20hd.jpg

So is the PD20 just a P2D in different clothing?

Not quite -

vs. P2D-Q5 both Turbo and primary CR123 -
PD20_P2Dq5.jpg
PD20_P2Dq5U2.jpg

close - they are both rated at 180 lumens - I think the P2D-Q5 may look less bright because it spreads its light out more with a wider beam.

vs. Fenix P2D-RB100 both Turbo and primary CR123 -
PD20_P2Drb100.jpg
PD20_P2Drb100U2.jpg

again close - but this time I think the PD20 may just have it, although I think the P2D-RB100 may look less bright because it spreads its light out even more with a noticably wider beam.

vs. NiteCore EX10 Max primary CR123 -
PD20_EX10.jpg
PD20_EX10U2.jpg

Close
Note: this is that over-achiever NiteCore EX10 - which caused all the fuss in NiteCore Lumens Rating - I discovered it was "faulty" - as it would switch off of its own accord - although it had not done that for the one month previously - and has not done it since. I still consider it an exception - as it is brighter than norm.
Remember the PD20 is rated 180 lumens - and NiteCore EX10 is rated at a mere 130 lumens albeit torch or OTF (Out The Front) lumens.

Just out of interest I also compared the EX10 on 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123 -

vs. NiteCore EX10 Max, but on 3.7v Rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123
PD20_EX10Li.jpg
PD20_EX10LiU2.jpg

in these shots the EX10 on Li-Ion may look slightly brighter than in the primary CR123 shots - but there is still not much in it.

vs. LD20-Q5 - Turbo 2x NiMH AA
PD20_LD20.jpg
PD20_LD20U2.jpg

close - there ought to be very little, if any, difference as they are both rated at 180 lumens and the heads are the same/interchangable. This one sample of the LD20 may have its emitter out of the sweet spot as it shows rings and the dark halo more than any of the others on the newer Fenix series - like LD10, PD20 and PD30.

vs. PD30-Q5 - Turbo 2x primary CR123
PD20_PD30.jpg
PD20_PD30U2.jpg

hard call - but the PD30 is brighter as it is 220 vs. 180 lumens whch is an increase of 22%.

Should note I thought this PD20-Q5 has one of the best tints I've seen on a Cree Q5 - of course it is still not as good as my old stand-by the RB100......

Index to Follow Up Parts -

Standardized Stairway beamshot - Post #19

Last edited:

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
thanks for the review! havnt been around CPF for a while, and didnt know these things were release!

the new pd20 seems to throw more than the p2d's reflector

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
the new pd20 seems to throw more than the p2d's reflector

Yes, thank you for pointing that out.

I should have noted that the newer series seem to have more concentrated hotspots - so probably would throw better.

rockz4532

Enlightened
:twothumbs on the review!, have you found anything bad about the pd20?, because i have a p2d, and am very satisfied, but now it smells like chocolate... i put a lindor truffle in my pocket with my p2d, forgot about it, when i took it out, it looked like it was covered with poo... washed it 3 times, still smells faintly like chocolate. anyway, can you see any reflector differences?

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
... smells faintly like chocolate. anyway, can you see any reflector differences?

oh, Cho-o-oclate (drool...:drool:)
guess that must be a tasty light ;)

I can't see much difference between the reflectors of the PD20 and P2D - although there may well be some difference - as the PD20 seems to have a more concentrated hotspot - so it may be focussed better.

On the Fenix website they do claim "Overall newly-designed reflector" - so it is probably different from the P2D.

Squinting at them I think the PD20 reflector might be wider at the front than the P2D? not sure though..... the photo of the heads in the opening post seems to just show that the PD20-Q5 reflector has less of a lip at the front than the P2D-Q5 - both heads are still the same diameter.

Last edited:

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review and the pics ! :thanks:

Been waiting to hear/see more about this light and kinda wondering why there isn't much excitement about the redesign - relative to the Nitecores for example. This looks like a great light to me !

Hoping someone is able to do some runtimes and see if there are any improvements esp with rechargeables. Some outdoor beamshots would also be great - I'm one that favors at least moderate spill so if this is a real narrow beam (like Olights?) I'm not sure I'm interested.

Can you tell us if Fenix has solved the problem of the bright 'flash' when switching modes, which was a problem with the P2Ds for a while?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you tell us if Fenix has solved the problem of the bright 'flash' when switching modes, which was a problem with the P2Ds for a while?

The pre-flash was most easily seen when switching on to the Low level -
it has been solved -
no pre-flash on my sample of the P2D-Q5,
and it is not present on any of my samples of these new PD20, LD10, LD20 or PD30.

JKL

Enlightened
:thanks: UnknownVT, as usual :twothumbs.

Any chance of being able to buy one with two battery tube versions to set it up as a 20 or a *30?

*This is not possible because of the different voltage. :candle:

You can use the PD20 head in the old L1/L2 body or ( if available as spare parts ) L10/L20 new body
icon14.gif
but not in the body of the PD30.

:wave:

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
*PD30
*This is not possible because of the different voltage. :candle:
You can use the PD20 head in the old L1/L2 body or ( if available as spare parts ) L10/L20 new body
icon14.gif
but not in the body of the PD30.

JKL is quite right about this. Don't use the PD20 head on a PD30 (or P3D) body.

Even though the PD20 head (same as the LD10 and LD20) will actually fit on the PD30 body - do NOT use it as such, as the 2x CR123 probably will damage the emitter or circuit - since that is supplying 6V to a circuit/emitter expecting only up to about 4.0V

However the PD30 (or P3D) head will fit on the PD20 or P2D body, and will actually run well on 1x 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123.
Also the LD10 or L1D body again using 1x 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500.

Last edited:

JKL

Enlightened
The PD20 head (same as the LD10 and LD20) will actually fit on the PD30 body - but do NOT use it as such, as the 2x CR123 probably will damage the emitter or circuit - since that is supplying 6V to a circuit/emitter expecting only up to about 4.0V

However the PD30 (or P3D) head will fit on the PD20 or P2D body, and will actually run well on 1x 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion RCR123.
Also the LD10 or L1D body again using 1x 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500.

Thanks Vincent, I forgot to specify. :rolleyes:

I agree with You, the PD20 head will actually fit on the PD30 body and run with 17670, but
"2x CR123 probably will damage the emitter or circuit". :poof:

so...

JKL said:
"This is not possible because of the different voltage".

The PD20 head (same as the LD10 and LD20) is compatible with the previous body series.

As you well said in the past : "a system wich is the most appealing feature".

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to specify. :rolleyes:

JKL, you were quite clear and correct :thumbsup:- and I was agreeing with you -
I should have said - "this is quite right" first (which I'll now go edit my post to do so).

JKL

Enlightened
JKL, you were quite clear and correct :thumbsup:- and I was agreeing with you -
I should have said - "this is quite right" first (which I'll now go edit my post to do so).

No problem Vincent,
your Comparison Reviews are always very nice , interesting and professional.:twothumbs

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Does this new PD20 have that little bit annoying "quick flash" thing when activating low, med and high modes?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this new PD20 have that little bit annoying "quick flash" thing when activating low, med and high modes?

Only when switching from SOS to low, otherwise no flash when activating low for the first time or switching to medium.

chaoss

Enlightened
This is a very good looking line from Fenix.
Does anyone know if the switch is a forward clicky w/momentary? (i have not been keeping up with the latest Fenix improvements)

Very nice review Vincent and thanks.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very good looking line from Fenix.
Does anyone know if the switch is a forward clicky w/momentary? (i have not been keeping up with the latest Fenix improvements)

Very nice review Vincent and thanks.

Still has a non-momentary switch. I believe this is better for mode-changing ease for most users.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standardized Stairway beamshot -

StairPD20.jpg
StairP2Dq5.jpg

StairEX10.jpg
StairEX10_2.jpg

EDIT to ADD - That's the over-achieving NiteCore EX10 that caused all the fuss in NiteCore Lumens Rating.
I just remembered I have a standardized stairway beamshot of a more typical NiteCore EX10 -
which I'll add to the comparison matrix above

Last edited: