Stacking batteries

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
can you store batteries like the energizer lithium's one on top of the other like in a keeptogo tube or is it not good to stack them and should you separate them? i know this probably isnt the right place for this quistion but i saw the word batteries and thought i might get an answer these are not rechargeable they are primaries energizer lithium's.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it's not a metal tube there won't be a problem.

Beware of letting the batteries have room to slide up and down the tube. They could be damaged by mechanical shock if they bump into each other.

StriderSMF

Newly Enlightened
no its one of those plastic keeptogo tubes but i found a cool way to store them side bye side they happen to fit perfect in my old p3d box in the flashlight compartment perfect fit i put a little piece of foam on the side of them to keep them in there nice and tight there are six in there with room for more. i will use the tube for camping trips and traveling.

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know this probably isnt the right place for this quistion but i saw the word batteries and thought i might get an answer these are not rechargeable they are primaries energizer lithium's.

No, you were absolutely correct in posting in this forum! I'm sure DM51 is very pleased! :)

Sounds like a great improvised battery carrier! :thumbsup:

Dave

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If they were alkaline batteries I would mildly advise against long term storage in tubes as for some reason they like leaking MORE in flashlight (tubes) than in packages. Lithiums I have not heard of but rare leaks on them here. I would guess the chance of a lithium primary leaking would be about 1 in a million or more while an alkaline would be 1 in 100 or less..... IMO

MorePower

Enlightened
If they were alkaline batteries I would mildly advise against long term storage in tubes as for some reason they like leaking MORE in flashlight (tubes) than in packages. Lithiums I have not heard of but rare leaks on them here. I would guess the chance of a lithium primary leaking would be about 1 in a million or more while an alkaline would be 1 in 100 or less..... IMO

Alkaline batteries are (typically) more prone to leaking after they have been partially used, which is why they leak more often in flashlights than in unopened packages.

Also, your estimate of the chance for an alkaline cell to leak is way off. Partially discharged leaking cells are in the 10s of parts per million, not 10000s of parts per million.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My estimates are based upon personal observation over the years. They are in fact a bit low compared to the amount of cells I have had leak both in and out of lights and stuff. I would bet many here would probably more agree with my numbers than 1 in 10 million.... else there wouldn't be constant talk of putting lithiums in devices that are going to sit for more than a week anywhere.

MorePower

Enlightened
My estimates are based upon personal observation over the years. They are in fact a bit low compared to the amount of cells I have had leak both in and out of lights and stuff. I would bet many here would probably more agree with my numbers than 1 in 10 million.... else there wouldn't be constant talk of putting lithiums in devices that are going to sit for more than a week anywhere.

Where did "1 in 10 million" come from? I stated 10s of parts per million, or in other words, on the order of 1 in 100,000. These numbers are based on rates of consumer complaints in the industry as well as years of leakage testing data (undischarged, partially discharged, over discharged, high humidity, room temperature, elevated temperature, thermal cycling, etc.).

Also, I would think that the OP of this topic was asking about storing undischarged cells, which are less prone to leakage, alkaline or otherwise.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
1 in 100000 is still huge compared to the complaints I constantly hear in the forum. I started a poll about alkaline leakage etc... I would like for you to participate as I figure perhaps enough in the forum will give us a real clue as to how bad cells are or not. I have this feeling a lot of leaking cells never get reported because many folks that have a $1 light don't bother calling battery companies when they leak. many people don't take advantage of warranties either half the time on cheaper stuff.

manoloco

Enlightened

so you have at least tried a million cells? :D ;)

jblackwood

Enlightened
can you store batteries like the energizer lithium's one on top of the other like in a keeptogo tube or is it not good to stack them and should you separate them? i know this probably isnt the right place for this quistion but i saw the word batteries and thought i might get an answer these are not rechargeable they are primaries energizer lithium's.

I'm getting a keeptogo tube for my lithium (obviously) 18650's (from AW). Will they be ok without a separator too?
:thinking:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm getting a keeptogo tube for my lithium (obviously) 18650's (from AW). Will they be ok without a separator too?
:thinking:
unless the tube fills up with liquid I would think any battery that doesn't have both + and - terminals on the same end should be ok stacking. It is only when you can possibly complete an electrical circuit that you should worry. I recall stories of people tossing a AAA nimh in their pocket and it being *shorted* out by their spare change and giving them a hot pocket that wasn't delicious. :sick2:

Latest posts