Solved: Difficulty engaging high.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a new Raw AL, and HIGH only works with Russian roulette. Gotta twist it real hard, and sometimes it flickers afterwards.

When measured on a TMMS, I've found that the tail body is bigger than the PCB ring it's supposed to hit. There's a big chamfer on the inside of the battery tube opening, leaving a narrow tube. Without that inside chamfer. the tail body would probably engage. So basically the tube hits the outer PCB dielectric surface, not the plated copper.

On my Raw NS, there's an area where the plated thru hole has a ring around it, that's the only place that one makes contact, I can see it by heavy wear marks. The same location is significantly etched back on my Raw Al, there's no wear marks at all anywhere on the ring.

Just looking for suggestions on what to do. Search led to no results. If anyone is unclear on what I've described above, I could take a picture tomorrow.

TIA... :)

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tail ain't hitting PCB ring, what to do?

Got a new Raw AL, and HIGH only works with Russian roulette. Gotta twist it real hard, and sometimes it flickers afterwards.

When measured on a TMMS, I've found that the tail body is bigger than the PCB ring it's supposed to hit. There's a big chamfer on the inside of the battery tube opening, leaving a narrow tube. Without that inside chamfer. the tail body would probably engage. So basically the tube hits the outer PCB dielectric surface, not the plated copper.

On my Raw NS, there's an area where the plated thru hole has a ring around it, that's the only place that one makes contact, I can see it by heavy wear marks. The same location is significantly etched back on my Raw Al, there's no wear marks at all anywhere on the ring.

Just looking for suggestions on what to do. Search led to no results. If anyone is unclear on what I've described above, I could take a picture tomorrow.

TIA... :)

Any trouble like this from new please do not hesitate to send back to me.
:thanks:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tail ain't hitting PCB ring, what to do?

I gently filed a few thousandths off the top of the battery tube and re-polished the end surface. This achieved more flat. Now it works solidly every time without force, and it is not flickering at all.

Thanks for your offer, Rob... this was less painful than a trip to the post office. :whistle:

Latest posts