742 Torch Lumens! Most beautiful runtime curve. NEOFAB Legion II MC-E review added

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Closed as a violation of advertising policy

http://neo-fab.com/

Recently we have the Legion II SST-50 version. With a 4.5A output current, it's much brighter than Legion II Standard MC-E version.
What's next? I believe it's time to get a higher over-all efficiency.

====================== History ======================

I've always wanted to make a light for myself, and after I had got the idea about Legion II, I knew the time had come to make a perfect light.
Basic ideas of Legion II is from Legion I & Spartanian II. Legion I was produced by one of my friend as a LED version of Surefire M6, and a regulation resistance was added in the tailcap to control the brightness stepless. Spartanian II was a little EDC light, with a ring switch, which look like Surefire U2, but really different. The switch design of Spartanian II was beyond Surefire's patents. With a Surefire U2, you can not turn the light on and then level UP/DOWN with the same finger, but with Spartanian II you can. A real "single-finger" multi-level flashlight. The UI is even more useful for a heavy light like Legion II.

There were some bugs in my past design, for example, Spartanian II' s control ring was not smooth enough, or it rattles sometime. People could not change the spring easily too. So, I thought Legion II should be a light away from these problems.

We made it. We catched the bugs, and drove them away. The control ring, supported by new Teflon bearings, are much smoother than old ones. "Switch 'feel' is absolutely wonderful, I want to say awesome." -- By a reviewer. The spring is stronger and can be replaced by users.

We designed a brand new driver for Legion II. The base circuit board is not a double layer PCB, but a four layer PCB. Nobody ever did. The feedback loop is designed very carefully and regardless of the cost. To get the precise regulation, we choose 0.007 ohm resistors from Vishay/Dale. Nobody ever did. Finally, we got a 27mm driver, without overlapping. In the lab, we got some data about the efficiency, nobody ever did.
legion2_show_15.jpg

We decided to use 3X18650 for Legion II, the question is: should there be a battery holder? It's not difficult, but to fit a battery holder for 3X18650, the diameter of tube will be larger and larger. For example, Ultrafire just released their WF-1300L, its housing diameter is 48mm. Legion II followed another way. The tube is the holder. We also designed a brand new tailcap for it. Nobody ever did.

legion2_show_08.jpg

legion2_show_01.jpg

legion2_show_02.jpg

legion2_show_03.jpg

legion2_show_04.jpg

legion2_show_14.jpg

Jetbeam M1X: left ; Legion II: right.

legion2_show_06.jpg

LEGION 2 with SMO reflector
legion2_show_07.jpg

LEGION 2 with SMO reflector

legion2_show_09.jpg

legion2_show_10.jpg

legion2_show_11.jpg

legion2_show_12.jpg

The Specs

* Powerful, Precise, Reliable Driver. ( We use 0.007 ohm resistors from Vishay/Dale. )
* Current Up to 3000mA.
* Longer Runtime Than Any Competitor In The Class.
* Best Current Regulation At Any Level, Without Audiable Noise.
* Reverse Voltage Protection
* 5 Exponential Levels.
* Thumb Control Without Strain On The Wrist.
* Revolutionary UI, The Easiest Way To Level Up/Down.
* Quick Access to Any 2 Default Levels.
* Built-in Battery Gauge.
* Over-discharge protection.
* Built-in Battery Holder.
* Ultimate Thermal Management.
* Custom Hi-End Parts.
* B270 Multi-layer AR Coated Lens With 99.5% Transparence
* ALCOA 7075-T651
* CNC Machining
* TYPE III Hard Anodizing​
Before the professional 3rd party review, there is some test result from myself.

Sample B.

Output:
2.9A(full distance)

Runtime with 3*Ultrafire unprotected 18650 cells:
2hours and 4 minutes.

With the built-in battery gauge, we can see how the cells work:

level6 (full)->level5 : About 35mins.
level5 (good)->level4: About 35mins.
level4 (fair)->level3: About 25mins.
level3 (low)->level2: About 15mins.
level2 (quite low)->Warning->level1->Auto OFF: 10mins.

When the light is OFF, you can still turn it on for emergency. At lower brightness level, the cells can still provide some energy. For example, when the light shut down at MAX level, turn it on, and switch to the lowest level (about 400mA), then use the gauge, the gauge level might be level 4 (fair).

But I recommend charging the cells when the gauge is at level 3.

Runtime from wbp
Legion2b.run.aw.02mar09.jpg

L1 = 98 lumens, L2 = 157, L3 = 264, L4 = 456, L5 = 742.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: Legion II, the MCE light Pics&comp with M1X

NICE!

I'm glad to see that the light turned out well.

Considering the reflector diameter, that's a pretty narrow beam. How far away was the light from the books?

That's the prototype right?

neoseikan

Enlightened

NICE!

I'm glad to see that the light turned out well.

Considering the reflector diameter, that's a pretty narrow beam. How far away was the light from the books?

That's the prototype right?

It's the sample to WBP and other people is U.S.
More sample will be assembled later.
And the production version are right there waiting for order&assembly.

This one is assembled by our engineer kurapica, a left-hander, so the UI is mirrored.

The beamshot on books is taken at 1m.

copperfox

Enlightened

Machining looks just perfect. What cells does this take?

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does thumb control refers to twist action to control brightness? I like the fins, hope they are not too sharp at the edges...

neoseikan

Enlightened

Does thumb control refers to twist action to control brightness? I like the fins, hope they are not too sharp at the edges...
Twist, not the whole head, but the control ring between the two golden-black circles. The fins are not sharp at all.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

I take it the fins also act as a heat sink to remove heat from the LED?

BTW, what is the asking price?

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

After a hour of drooling and finally coming to my senses, forgot to ask:
Is the emitter upgradeable i.e. mounted on some pill/module that can be swapped?

Kurapica

Newly Enlightened

It's the sample to WBP and other people is U.S.
More sample will be assembled later.
And the production version are right there waiting for order&assembly.

This one is assembled by our engineer kurapica, a left-hander, so the UI is mirrored.

The beamshot on books is taken at 1m.

Emm....Sorry for the UI. The next sample will be a right-hand version:D

neoseikan

Enlightened

After a hour of drooling and finally coming to my senses, forgot to ask:
Is the emitter upgradeable i.e. mounted on some pill/module that can be swapped?

There isn't a pill/module, but it won't be too hard to change the LED by yourself.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's absolutely beautiful. :faint:

Now... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be sure and make them available with warm or neutral white MC-E emitters! The loss of brightness from stepping back (one step) from M to K bin is absolutely worth the warmer tint, especially for outdoors applications.
I can't stress this point enough.
:poke:

:bow:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Wow nice!! Great looking light.

I haven't heard anyone mention vishay/dale yet on this forum. They are very popular resistors in DIY audio/hi fi forums.

Congrats on a great looking design.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

The price is twice as much compare to M1X.:green:

and it's not twice as bright and not twice as throw ;(

High quality isn't for everyone. :p All kidding aside though...
Honestly it's the better battery configuration and better UI that have me interested.
Plus I have a chance of convincing Neo to make it with a good emitter instead of one of those mostly blue ones. :barf:

Twice the brightness won't visually be much different. Besides you can get twice the brightness of the M1X for less than the M1X from Elektrolumens. Twice the throw isn't going to happen unless you get a much much larger reflector (5" or more)... the laws of physics suck don't they. :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.