Run-Time Plot - Mad Max+ Q3 2xAA

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
This runtime plot is for a MiniMag modified with a Mad Max+ module and a Q3 LS. Used two Everactive Alkaline AA batteries.

Equipment used is a Extech Mdl 401021 Light Adapter into a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using ScopeView software (V 1.08)

The vertical axis is in mVDC and is equivalent to one footcandle per mVDC. The horizontal axis is 15 minutes per division.

Be aware that you actual battery milage will vary from that indicated by thie runtime plot.

Runtime to 50% max brightness = 78 minutes
mmq3.jpg

The MadMax+ is adjustable for output level, but for this runtime plot, NO adjustments were made. This MadMax+ was measured to be about 22% brighter the my MadMax Adjustable.

bucken

Enlightened
Re: Run-Time Plot - Mad Max+ Q3

As always, Roy, thanks for the input of the output.

Have you done a Blaster II, yet?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Would you do a run time with 2000mAH's? Might be flatter. Bill

Roy

1. Don't have a Blaster II and no money in the budget to get one either. Send me a Blaster II and I'll do one!

2. All I use is disposable batteries. I have a hard enough time keeping the battery packs for my walkie talkies charged up. I don't use my light every day. Tried rechargeables once and they always seemed to dead when I needed them.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks again for taking the time to make and post another run-time chart.

Between yours and Brock's tests, I've gotten alot of great info. I hope you and Doug (QuickBeam) continue to put these up on his site.

Pat

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you post, or point us to a like plot for the standard MadMax, for comparison?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

O.K., here are both of Roy's runtime graphs.

The first is the standard MadMax, on EverActive alkalines.
mad-alk2.jpg

And this is the New MadMax+ Q3, on Energizer alkalines.
mmq3.jpg

I'm confused about the brighter by 22% statement. How did you get that figure? Did that come from a light meter, and not these graphs?

Roy

You missed the MadMax ajdustable I did back in Feb.

mmadj.jpg

I did a major tweaking on this one and seemed to have found the magic setting!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I missed that one. Now I see a 22% difference. How did you tweak it? And, can you tell a difference, just by your eyes, between this 3 hr. tweak, and the 1 hr. 20 min. setting?

I also noticed the consistency of the slope. It's about 1 ½ divisions from fresh cells, to drop-off with each cell type, and each MadMax type. With the exception of the lithiums. They deviate the most from this "standard slope".

Roy

Tweaking is a pain in the rear!

To get started you will some way to measure the light...I have the photocell and multimeter I use for the runtime plots. A self-standing magnfing glass helps and of course, jewlers screwdrivers.

Fix a distance between the photocell and the light.

1 Shine the light at the photocell and record the light value from the photocell. This is your factory setting

2 Take the module out of the Minimag and tweak the very SMALL pot.

3 Put the module back in the Minimag

4 Measure and record value from the photocell.

5 Repeat 2-4 as necessary to find the brightest output.

Now you've got the brightest setting which normally would have the shortest runtime. I could see adding a step 4.5, Perform runtime plot!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Looks like Alkalines can not handle boost in current to MM+; pulls them down fast. Rechargables or Li might give a flatter discharrge rate. Guess I will try a basic run time test with a simple light meter, for my own info. Bill

Roy

The actual runtime plot has been updated using the Extech Light Adapter. The vertical axis now equivalant to one mVDC equal to one footcandle at one foot.

LightScene

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
All I use is disposable batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]
This runtime chart provides plenty of reason to use rechargeables with this light.