Any runners here? need headlamp help..

jemab

Enlightened
Anybody here got some wisdom about headlamps for running? I am looking for something on my longer runs when I start before daylight. The headlamp seems a natural option, though I'm not sure how I feel about something on my head.... been eyeing the zebralight for the ability it would seem to clip onto the waistband of shorts, but not sure if that's a viable option either...

Ideas? Suggestions?

UltraRunner

Newly Enlightened
My runs start at 4:30 a.m. I run roads and trails and do ultramarathons. I wear a Black Diamond Icon and carry an EagleTac P10A2. I only turn on the hand-held for tricky turns or really bad trails. The hand-held gives you much better depth perception than the headlamp. Good for not tripping over rocks. If you are just running roads a small headlamp might do you. Me, I like a lot of light. Both lights run on AA's. Can't speak to the Zebralight....

ahorton

Enlightened
I got into lights via running as well.

Where do you run? Along rocky bush tracks or in the city along partially lit footpaths? This will dictate how much light you need.

I'd also suggest to just go for a headlight and you'll get used to it on your head soon enough. Most people who try chest or hip mounted lights get frustrated at the way it shakes around.

I should acknowledge my bias: I am not really fond of anything on the market so I made my own which I (naturally) think is perfect. Bias acknowledged, here are some thoughts:

* If the whole thing weighs more than 50 grams, get one with a battery pack at the back and a strap over the top.

* Avoid 5mm leds. Get one with 1 (or possibly more) big 1W-3W LED(s).

* Adjustable focus is nice, but not critical if you are just going running.

* If you are going to spend more than $30, seriously consider making your own. You will always end up with something brighter for your money.

Matt-man

Newly Enlightened
Like you, I was skeptical of headlamps, and then I tried one. Moving your head to move the light is so intuitive and natural that I wouldn't run with anything else. My wife has a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp, and I've done some running with it at night. It's light enough that it didn't bounce around or annoy me, and it has multiple brightness levels.

If you have an REI store nearby, I'd suggest checking out their headlamp section. The stores I've been to have a whole array of headlamps that you can try on. In addition they have a satisfaction guarantee so if you try it and don't like it you can return it. That way you can try one out without worrying about wasting your money.

jemab

Enlightened
Thanks for the good input. To clarify, I am running on blacktop country roads mostly, so no tricky navigating required. I should also add that I have used my lunasol 27 which I LOVE but it is a bit heavy lugging around. I guess my ideal would be a mcgizmo headlamp :D

ahorton, I like the idea of making a headlamp, but am afraid its beyond my skill level.

I'm gonna check out the suggestions about the BD and PT. Good to have a starting point about what works for others.
Thanks Guys!

tnuckels

Enlightened
Not a runner, unless Godzilla is coming, but … quite a few runners have expressed a preference for a dual light source setup, one on the head and one down lower to cast better shadows and show the terrain more.

Petzl makes an attachment system called ADAPT, wherein you get three points of placement for any of their Tikka line of lights (top strapped headlamp, belt/waist/where-ever clip, and stick-on for climbing/caving/work helmet. The ADAPT system comes with some lights, or in an additional ~$15 purchase. I have two and find it adds quite a bit of flexibility, especially as you've stated the desire to loose your hand-held. Beam on the Tikka XP can be set to flood or spot, depending on your preference.

Good Luck!

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I've yet to find the perfect running headlamp, but currently prefer the Zebralight 501. Previously, I was using a PT Eos modified with a Seoul LED.

The main advantage to the Zebralight is it's lack of mass. The beam is pure flood, but I appreciate the fact that it removes the tunnel vision you get with a tightly focused light. However, for me, it requires a handheld to go along with--something that can punch through the darkness farther. These days that usually a Nitecore D10, allowing me to standardize on AA cells.

I haven't tried it anywhere but on my head--seems to me it would move around too much. Perhaps it's be ok on a camelback strap, but I don't wear one of those.

For road running on good surfaces, I also sometimes use a Petzl E+Lite, which is really small. It's sufficient. It also has a useful flash mode, and a red led allowing you to mount two on one strap, with the forward one white, and the rear one red flashing. This is a pretty good setup, but certain not adequate for trails or broken pavement.

Jack

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I usually wear my Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 1AA headlamp on evening runs. The 1W lamp with a flip over diffuser is perfect for seeing 20-30 ft in front of me. The 1AA battery isn't too heavy, so the headlamp doesn't bounce around on my forehead while running.

$13 at Wal-Mart, so you're not really out much $$ if you should drop it or anything.

Andy80F

Newly Enlightened
May I recommend a headlamp which I bought recently, for my wife but it's available in "manly" cammo colours. It's an Alpkit Gamma light. Runs off three AAA's and has the battery box at the back which ballances the light well and does not seem heavy in use. For runners, my wife and i both run off-road a couple of times a week, the addition of a rear facing red LED is great for safety.

Alpkit Gamma

I did a sort of review elsewhere on the forum and would recommend this light as a runner to runners.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually wear my Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 1AA headlamp on evening runs. The 1W lamp with a flip over diffuser is perfect for seeing 20-30 ft in front of me. The 1AA battery isn't too heavy, so the headlamp doesn't bounce around on my forehead while running.

$13 at Wal-Mart, so you're not really out much $$ if you should drop it or anything.

I can't seem to find it on Walmart website. Link please?

zemmo

Newly Enlightened
Anybody here got some wisdom about headlamps for running? I am looking for something on my longer runs when I start before daylight. The headlamp seems a natural option, though I'm not sure how I feel about something on my head.... been eyeing the zebralight for the ability it would seem to clip onto the waistband of shorts, but not sure if that's a viable option either...

Ideas? Suggestions?

I don't mind having the light on my head, but I don't want very much weight there. I prefer AAA lights for that reason, or single CR123s. I think the Princeton EOS (with the new emitter) is hard to beat for the money. The new SF Minimus might be good, mine is on order so no report yet. I too prefer carrying a flashlight for more throw, if desired, in addition to the light headlamp.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
small, light, and the battery You like
f.e. I am using Li-Ions mostly now, therefore my headlamp is a Streamlight Argo HP, fed with an 17650 Li-Ion.

PS: when the terrain is very rough, something floody, clipped at hip height, is a good idea.
The headlamp makes no shadows and thus the size of obstacles cant be noticed too good
(recently run into a knee sized stone that seemed being a flat spot on the trail)

One can check that very easy: use the headlamp, then move the light down and see shadows suddenly.

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
I'm a runner as well and was thinking about this same question as the days get shorter. I was eying the Zebralight, also.

Please keep us posted on your progress and what works (and doesn't) for you.