Shanghai - Funny Experience

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recalled that quite a few years back I was on an assignment in Shanghai and I brought along my E2e in my pocket.

So as I was at the X-Ray machine, this female customs officer instructed me to open up the flashlight for inspection. I showed her the batteries and she told me to pass her the flashlight. She then went on to insert the batteries in and screw back the bezel.

I guess she was wondering how the light is to be turned on as I can see she was turning the E2e around looking for a switch. I then told her that she needs to turn the tail cap to get it to switch on. Out of curiosity or stupidity I wouldn't know, but she actually looked into the bezel and with the bezel only 5 or 6 inches from her, she tightened the tail cap.

I tried very hard to resist a laughter that seems to be rising up from within when I see her blinking her eyes several times and shaking her head furiously. Her colleague then broke down and started laughing.

I wish lights like LX2 with 200 lumens power was out then.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO!!! What the heck is it with people switching on lights that are pointed directly into their eyes? I usually make a habit of telling people to not switch it on like that and what do they do? It's like telling someone not to laugh when they drink, that's some great advice and what do they do? They laugh and blame me because pop squirted out of their nose. Now if a be a smart alec and tell someone to turn the light on in their face, THEN they don't.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like handing people my 4 amp MC-E light telling them it's the brightest flashlight ever and some will still switch it on while staring at the led.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess she had not encountered a light this small to be capable of at least 60 lumens? Well, give her the benefit of doubt, maybe she thought she is looking at a mini M@g. :shrug:

Well, anyway it's human behavior. We tend to be curious. When faced with two doors, one marked "Do not open" and the other with no markings whatsoever, our curiosity always takes over. We would most likely open the one that says "Do not open" just to see what is inside.

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
Okay... you say that I should UNKINK this garden hose? Where is this kink? Here? Okay, and what do I do? Bend it which way...this way?...:poof:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My aunt got marrried with this guy who apparently always turns a flashlight on while looking at it. My cousin and I have been debating over which one we should hand him over for fun...:poof::crazy: :crackup:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of weekends back a buddy of mine came over to my place. He saw my Jetbeam M1x and thought it was very cool looking. He was staring at the head and was about to turn it on. I stopped him immediately and said, "woo, don't turn it on while looking at the head", to which he said, "Really?!? why?" *click* oooh, ouch ...wow, damn, d'oh

*10 minutes later* .... *man, I'm still seeing stars in my right eye*

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My aunt got marrried with this guy who apparently always turns a flashlight on while looking at it. My cousin and I have been debating over which one we should hand him over for fun...:poof::crazy: :crackup:
I hope you have a Surefire M6 fitted with MN21 in it. :oops:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of weekends back a buddy of mine came over to my place. He saw my Jetbeam M1x and thought it was very cool looking. He was staring at the head and was about to turn it on. I stopped him immediately and said, "woo, don't turn it on while looking at the head", to which he said, "Really?!? why?" *click* oooh, ouch ...wow, damn, d'oh

*10 minutes later* .... *man, I'm still seeing stars in my right eye*
:crackup::crackup::crackup:

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
Must be something about human nature. We KNOW that looking into the business end of ANYTHING is bad, but we still do it all the time.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im really surprised she didnt confiscate your SF
or worse still take you to the backroom for a cavity search :laughing:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chinese law enforcement generally? I doubt so, unless of course they are from the elite units. Unlike the US, most countries which uses Surefire for the military or law enforcements don't issue them to the ordinary Joes. They issue them only to the special ops unit.

In Singapore where I reside, I am starting to see some Surefire lights like E2e carried by police officers in certain units. Other than that Surefire lights are only distributed to the special ops units or special investigation or protection division.

I was in the Singapore Navy once and currently doing my reserve training in the Army and we have never seen a Surefire. Not even once. That is, until I became a flashaholic. But I do know of some units in the Singapore military utilizing Surefire.

xenonk

Enlightened
I think that's precisely the problem. They may know about it but don't get to have one, so they may try to take yours. :devil:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
one year I flew out of Beijing International and the security guard at the X-ray machine took a shine to my HDS U60XRGT and I could see he was more than just interested in looking at it. But since I locked it the light didn't turn on when he pushed the button. He gave it back to me and said "it's broken, you can have it back then".

I LOLed silently and went on my way.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
one year I flew out of Beijing International and the security guard at the X-ray machine took a shine to my HDS U60XRGT and I could see he was more than just interested in looking at it. But since I locked it the light didn't turn on when he pushed the button. He gave it back to me and said "it's broken, you can have it back then".

Wow, that's a good one, I'll remember this. For traveling internationally, this is a very good suggestion. :caution:

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast

:laughing: