Solarforce Skyline Driving Impressions Ø HEAVY GRAPHICS Ø

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
The following Driving Impression is based on a Solarforce Skyline provided, gratis, by International Trading Company, hereafter abbreviated as "ITC".
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/INTERNATIONAL-TRADING-COMPANY__W0QQ_armrsZ1

[EDITORIAL NOTE: Footnotes will follow the format "FNxx:" where "xx" is the Footnote number, with the footnotes being listed at the bottom of Post #1]

The Solarforce Skyline is a 1 x 18650 3.7v or 2 x CR123A (primaries only) FN01: thrower utilizing a 7090 XR-E WC R2 Cree LED.

The most prominent attribute of the Skyline, upon removing it from the metallic blue Solarforce box, is the deep reflector. The depth of the reflector is so prominent that I thought I'd post some perspective pictures before diving into the specifications and Driving Impression.

These five pieces constitute the Solarforce Skyline:
whsiisskyline308.jpg

whsiisskyline0313.jpg

whsiisskyline0322.jpg

whsiisskyline0325.jpg

whsiisskyline0331u.jpg

whsiisskyline0334.jpg

ACCESSORIES & PACKAGING:
Apologies for this late addition and the non-intuitive placement in the flow of the thread, but I felt the accessories were an important aspect of the Skyline's overall functionality. ~TBtO~
Included with the Solarforce Skyline are 1)The increasingly familiar metallic blue Solarforce box, 2)Three spare O-Rings, 3)One spare tailcap button cover, 4)An adjustable, for multiple sizes and shapes of lights {seen securing The Masterpiece in this photo} {Solarforce Masterpiece NOT included with purchase of Solarforce Skyline. Prices and participation may vary. Photons have been determined to cause cancer in California.} nylon/velcro holster, 5)An adjustable nylon sling, 1 inch wide, with an adjustment range of between 30 inches and 54 inches in length, and 6)Both a metallic ring connector and a tough nylon thread lanyard connection. More on the latter later.

pict0572.jpg

Including both a metallic ring connector and a tough nylon thread lanyard connection is a smart move on Solarforce's part! The Surefire line of hand held illumination devices include "break away" lanyards that are intentionally designed to break away under extreme tension. For those who have served their country in combat, break away retention devices are familiar to the point of not even eliciting comment. They keep you alive, keep your mobility from being compromised, keep you from becoming trapped and endangered by the very tools intended to keep you safe and alive. Your Drill Instructors or Officer Training Sadists didn't make stuff up just to arbitrarily make you miserable (They don't have to make things up to do that ;)). But like any other intelligent tool user, we select our tools based on our intended use. There may be situations where I do NOT want my lanyards to break away under heavy load, and providing the metallic ring allows me to keep my options open. A small detail, but an important one, and one that does not significantly add cost to the product. Well done Solarforce :thumbsup:
pict0578.jpg

MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS:

• 7090 XR-E WC R2 Cree LED
• Working Voltage: 3V to 6V
• Solarforce Driver protects Li-Ion Battery from Over-Discharging
• Flashlight Length: 180 mm
• Flashlight Head: 47 mm Diameter
Reflector Measurements: Length 60 mm, Diameter 41 mm.
• Solarforce claims theirs is the Deepest & Narrowest Reflector among similarly sized illumination tools.
The reviewer does confirm that in Suburban Environments, where ambient illumination creates a need for higher levels of illumination from one's handheld device, the Skyline's long throw is completely effective at providing facial recognition easily at and beyond 50 yards.
• Maximum Lumens: 300 (per manufacturer).
Maximum Lumens rating is provided to identify the "ballpark" in which the Skyline plays. See MrGman's tests for published vs. actual OTF lumens for Solarforce Flashlights. Given the "intermediate horsepower" of the Skyline, the throw is particularly respectable. :thumbsup:
• "Premium Military Grade" Aluminum
• Water Resistant to IPX-8 Standard
• "Toughened Ultra Clear Glass Lens" with AR coating
• Weight: 278 g
Premium Package Accessories
• Flashlight Sling
• Spare O-Rings x 2
• Spare Tailcap Button Cover

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:
From the photographs and the specifications you've no doubt already determined that this flashlight is intended to be thrower. Although spoiled by the impressive output of the Solarforce Masterpiece, I've discovered many attributes of the Skyline to recommend it, even for a task as relatively undemanding as suburban dog walking. The really demonstrative photography, as regards throw, is still a work in progress with more to come later in the evening, but the 50 yard photos at the bottom of the Driving Impression provide clear evidence that the Skyline does indeed throw well to, and substantially beyond, 50 yards.

The tail cap has a couple of internal nicks and scratches on the inside, characteristic of a pre-production run, but there's nothing to interfere with functionality or long term durability. The spring is plated with a gold colored material. Later we'll see what appears to be genuine gold plating at the Light Engine end of the system.
whsiisskyline0346.jpg

The exterior of the tailcap is very attractive, capable of tailstanding {carefully considering the head heavy nature of the flashlight}, has a soft touch switch but does provide tactile feedback of actuation, two wide long ovals for clip ring or nylon retention lanyard attachment, and scalloped sides for easier activation when wearing gloves. Some folks might consider this a formula for AD (Accidental Discharge), but it works for me.
whsiisskyline0348k.jpg

Due to the depth of the head, getting a good shot of the LED was a bit of a challenge. Nonetheless, here are views of the depth and breadth of the head, and a close up of the emitter.
whsiisskyline0354.jpg

whsiisskyline0372.jpg

The powered side of the Light Engine appears to be gold plated. (or perhaps Cadmium?)
pict0394.jpg

The positive contact within context of the head.
pict0399.jpg

A view from the inside of the bezel. Note the lens is not held in place merely with a gasket.
pict0403m.jpg

An angled view of one of the two indents in the lens retention ring that screws in behind the lens to secure the lens.
pict0406c.jpg

A close up of one of the lens retention ring indents. A nice touch from the R&D guys. A gasket would have been less expensive, but this seems a clear example of putting in just a little extra bit of effort and expense which may make for a longer, more satisfying lifetime of usage. I wasn't expecting it, so I may be reading too much into this, but it impressed me. :clap:
pict0407f.jpg

A close up view of the Skyline components.
pict0416y.jpg

A close up of the body. Note larger gasket for head end.
whsiisskyline0419.jpg

Vertical Frame of Reference Items:
Left to Right; Surefire SF123A 3v Primary, Sakar AAA 1.25v 1000mAh NiMH Rechargeable, Duracell Alkaline AA 1.5v Primary, Solarforce Li-Ion UNprotected 18650 2400mAh Rechargeable, Crayola (Ferrari Red), Solarforce L2i, English/Metric Measure, Solarforce L2p, Fenix P3D Premium Q5 w/ 'Fenix Store Special' 3 x CR123A optional body, Surefire C3 Centurion, Solarforce L2r, Solarforce Skyline, Pentagonlight 635 nm 28 Lumens (Diffused) low signature, Insight H2x Typhoon w/ Cabela's cover, Surefire M6, Solarforce Masterpiece.
whsiisskyline0426.jpg

pict0429a.jpg

Horizontal Frame of Reference Items:
Left to Right; Surefire SF123A 3v Primary, Sakar AAA 1.25v 1000mAh NiMH Rechargeable, Duracell Alkaline AA 1.5v Primary, Solarforce Li-Ion UNprotected 18650 2400mAh Rechargeable, Crayola (Ferrari Red), Solarforce L2i, English/Metric Measure, Solarforce L2p, Fenix P3D Premium Q5 w/ 'Fenix Store Special' 3 x CR123A optional body, Surefire C3 Centurion, Solarforce L2r, Solarforce Skyline, Pentagonlight 635 nm 28 Lumens (Diffused) low signature, Insight H2x Typhoon w/ Cabela's cover, Surefire M6, Solarforce Masterpiece.
whsiisskyline0473.jpg

USER INTERFACE:

The UI on the Solarforce Skyline is very simple to use, just one button to access all functions, and no complicated rhythms, temporal patterns, or bodily gyrations involving patting yourself on the head while simultaneously rubbing your tummy in circles while conjugating Greek verbs with a mouth full of peanut butter. :sweat:

The Solarforce Skyline provides three simple and distinct functional modes:
• A. Single Level On/Off.
• B. 'Infinitely' Variable Lumen Level.
• C. Strobe.

……… • A. Single Level On/Off. Click the tailcap once for '300 Lumens' On. Click the tailcap again to turn the Skyline off. Very simple, and accessible to any user for immediate use. "Honey, I dropped my keys in the yard when I was talking to Peggy. Where's one of your flashlights?" "Just grab the one with the big head that looks like a mirror in a 'Fun House' at a carnival. Nothing to it."

……… • B. 'Infinitely' Variable Lumen Level. Depress the tailcap and hold the tailcap in until the light decreases to your desired output. The Skyline will come on at the maximum setting and decrease output in a linear fashion fairly quickly. Release the tailcap at the desired setting and the Skyline will remain at that setting. To increase the output, simply press the tailcap and hold until the output rises to your desired level. The light output can be increased and decreased in this manner ad infinitum, and there appears to be NO "time out" after which the infinitely variable adjustment takes a set and remains. I tested this ability up to 40 minutes, and as long as the light is left on, another press/hold of the tailcap will begin increasing/decreasing the Skyline's output in the direction opposite its previous adjustment.

I offer a couple of observations regarding the circuit programming of what the manufacturer refers to as Solarforce's "Infinite Output System®":
1) The Skyline always powers up at full power. If stealth is your goal, this would be a weak point. But I haven't yet spontaneously thought of a situation in which stealth would be one's M.O. but one would be using a thrower. I do not consider this a weakness. Again, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary.)
2) The level to which the user has set the infinitely variable output is not memorized. Whether this is good or bad depends on your particular situation. By contrast the NightOps Gladius can be very flexible as a function of its myriad programming settings, but with complexity comes expense and a steeper learning curve. By contrast, the non-Flashaholics in your family would find the variable output of the Skyline quite easy to master.

……… • C. Strobe. With the Skyline switched off, simply double click the tailcap within one second and the strobe will activate. Turn the light off, and when next turned on it will behave as a simple click on, or as variable output with click and hold.

CONCLUSIONS: The Solarforce Skyline is a very simple to operate, and easy to operate via one hand, thrower flashlight that is useful for selectively illuminating your targets without blinding other people with massive flood or zillions of lumens. I was pleasantly surprised by the unexpected utility of an intermediate brightness thrower as it allowed me to precisely illuminate the area ahead where I intended to direct our dogs, but if they looked back over their shoulders at me, their night vision was NOT destroyed by hot flood. Avoiding the latter requires considerable concentration on my part when using the Masterpiece.

Additional Conclusions, Beamshots, and answers to questions will appear in Post #2 below.

DISTANCE BEAM SHOTS: Fifty Yards {45.7 Meters}
Click the thumbnails below to pull up the ImageShack pages. Once the 'IS' page appears, click on Full Size, then close Image Shack page. You will have four full size photos. The Skyline 0124, 0127, and 0133, and the Masterpiece 0175.
All four photos are from fifty yards, with the flashlight(s) in the same firing position, with an exposure time of 4 seconds and an aperture of F3.2.

Compare pictures 0133 and 0175. In these two photographs all camera settings, not merely shutter and F-Stop, are identical! 0133 is the Skyline, 0175 is the Masterpiece on 100%. Of course the Masterpiece is far brighter BUT this provides a Direct Throw Comparison, at least as regards beam pattern. What you see in the photos is the same as was apparent to the unaided human eye. The throw of the, by comparison, smaller, less powerful Skyline, is nonetheless impressive at fifty yards.

Skyline on 100% using One UNprotected 2400mAh Solarforce 18650
This was my first "publication run" for distance beam photos, I had no flashlights that could be considered peers to the Skyline (that is, two to five hundred lumens, designated "throwers"), and beyond that I lacked a clear plan for "apples to apples" comparisons. I photographed the Solarforce Masterpiece, but utilized the 100% setting and it did not occur to me at the time to use the 40% setting :ohgeez: on the Masterpiece. This would have at least brought the Masterpiece down into the general lumens range of the Skyline. In tonight's 45 feet photos, I will set the Masterpiece to 40%.

File Name … … … … … …… … WHSII_S_Skyline_0124.JPG
Software: … … … … … … … … DiMAGE Z3 v1.03
Shutter Speed: … … … … … … 4 seconds
Aperture: … … … … … … … … F3.2
Camera Sensitivity: … … ……… ISO 200
Metering Mode: … ……………… Multi-Segment
Lens Focal Length: … … ……… 5.9 mm
(35mm equivalent): … … … …… 35 mm
White Balance: … … … … …… Auto
Contrast: … … … … … … … … Normal
Saturation: … … … … ………… Normal
Sharpness: … … … …………… Normal
Color Mode:… … … … … … … Natural Color

File Name … … … … … …… … WHSII_S_Skyline_0127
Shutter Speed: … … … … … … 4 Seconds

File Name … … … … … …… … WHSII_S_Skyline_0133

Masterpiece on 100% using Two UNprotected 2400mAh Solarforce 18650s
File Name … … … … … …… … WHSII_S_Masterpiece_0175.JPG

FN01: Do NOT use rechargeable CR123A batteries as they will exceed the working voltage of the unit.

TBtO ~ END OF HTML CODE ~TBtO

Last edited:

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Reserved for TBtO

Following are "apples to apples" comparisons of:
• Solarforce Skyline
• Solarforce Masterpiece at 40%
• Solarforce Masterpiece at 10%
• Insight HX2 Typhoon

The flashlights were all fired from the same position; 45 Feet {13.7 Meters} from a grey garage door, roughly 2½ above the ground.
The camera was about 1½ feet behind and 2 feet above the flashlights on a tripod.
There are three exposures for each of the four light or light/settings above.
The only variable among ALL 12 photos is the shutter speed
The same 3 shutter speeds were used for all four light or light/settings above.
The shutter speeds are, in order, • One Second, • Six Tenths of One Second, and • One and Three Tenths of One Second.
The other camera settings are static and are as follows:

Shutter Speed: … … … … … … 1.0 Sec. OR 0.6 Sec. OR 1.3 Sec
Aperture: … … … … … … … … F2.8
Exposure / Subject Program…… Manual
Camera Sensitivity: … … ……… ISO 50
Digital Zoom Magnification … … Off

Thumbnails to large photos are used. 1)With the exception of the file names being changed to be self-identifying, the files are just as they were recorded by the camera. No intermediate software was used which could affect the appearance, proportions, etc. of the files. 2)This will make comparing and contrasting the different beam patterns and luminosity of the different flashlights, and the one flashlight at different outputs, far more cumbersome, but the point of this additional post is to address questions such as "How does the pattern, output, compare to Flashlight X?" As noted previously, I do not have other flashlights in this designated performance niche, but I did use a brand (Solarforce Masterpiece) with which MrGman has some lab experience, although not this exact model, and also an illumination device that is as common to LEOs and other professionals as Glocks and Federal .45 hollow points. The Typhoon and its progenitor the Gladius is a known value, and broadly established among professionals who go in harms way.

{If other flashlights in this market niche come my way, I will certainly include them.}

Skyline 1.0 s

Skyline 0.6 s

Skyline 1.3 s

Masterpiece 40% 1.0 s

Masterpiece 40% 0.6 s

Masterpiece 40% 1.3 s

Masterpiece 10% 1.0 s

Masterpiece 10% 0.6 s

Masterpiece 10% 1.3 s

Typhoon 1.0 s

Typhoon 0.6 s

Typhoon 1.3s

Post #1 had a lot of detail photos, with bits and pieces of the Skyline. Following are photos that highlight the lines and proportions of the Skyline when it is completely assembled:

whsiisskyline0433.jpg
whsiisskyline0437.jpg
whsiisskyline0440.jpg
whsiisskyline0452.jpg
whsiisskyline0461.jpg
whsiisskyline0468.jpg
whsiisskyline0485.jpg
whsiisskyline0488.jpg
whsiisskyline0495.jpg
whsiisskyline0497.jpg
whsiisskyline0544.jpg

Last edited:

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Everyone's purchase decisions as regards CONUS distributor w/ active CPF presence, or OCONUS distributor w/ price advantage is their own business.

But revisiting the Skyline after the initial review I see them available at both

International Trading Company for $71.99 delivered, with slightly longer delivery times, potential language translation issues in the event of needing to return an item, but a low price at a time when a lot of people are watching every penny. The link to ITC's Skyline is below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solarforce-Skyline-I-Long-Throw-Unlimited-Mode-Torch-x1_W0QQitemZ270490322858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efa7ac7aa

SBFlashlights with the benefits of supporting a CPF member, and CONUS service, rolls in at
$99.99 and the $0.01 shipping. On top of the basic Solarforce Sykline package (includes sling, 2 O-rings, tailcap button cover) SBFlashlights throws in a Solarforce Protected 18650 and a Solarforce Charger. Link follows:
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Solarforce-Lights/Solarforce-Skyline-p42.html

Either way you go, you get a a nicethrower!

As noted above, I do not have a competitor from this market niche for outdoor distance shots but the Skyline sees a great deal of usage when scanning our property and that of the neighbors for "Condition Yellow Alerts from our German Shepherd Dogs. Each time I use it I'm surprised that the appearance of the hot spot is pretty much the same whether my target is 30 yards away or 80 yards away. Considering that's it's not pumping out the horsepower of my Masterpiece, that impressive reflector does more than just look good, as documented in the photos above, it works and does so quite well. Obviously quite a bit of R&D went into the design of this handy little torch! :twothumbs

ArmyMedicDad

Newly Enlightened
:paypal: Me too - this seems like a really good deal. The same shop is also selling the Skyline II at a considerable discount.

Suddenly these are Budget LEDs! :)

I also bought a version I this morning - and the II is going for $28.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my Skyline I from ITC over E-Bay. It had 2 solarforce li-ion 3.7 volts batteries included in the light! Someone may have left them in by mistake, but the light works great with the 2 3.7 volts batteries.
I don't know if this is bad for the driver, since the light also says max input voltage 6 volts. I'd like to hear from solarforce on this.

Nokoff

Enlightened
nice review, ty....I also ordered the V1...really like the look of V2 but the large reflector on V1 won me over.

I wouldn't use two rechargeable li-ions in it for long, they must have included those in error, sometimes U get lucky!

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast

JulianP

Enlightened
I just received my Skyline V1 from ITC, and I took it for a walk tonight. My flashlight addiction began when I started looking for a long thrower to check my moored boat at night. Now I use the boat to check my flashlights: Go figure!

The Skyline is a nice light, with a long throw. A little bulky, and althought it comes with a long strap, a belt holster would be more practical. It compares well with my modded XRE-R2 + aspheric: The hotspot is larger, and without the ugly square LED shape. The aspheric is however much smaller, and running on a 16340.

Anyhow, for the heavily discounted price, this was a worthwhile addition to my collection. I also like the dimming, which allows the user to adjust the brightness simply by holding the clickie down.

Art

Enlightened
I just bought one for 24€. lovecpf

Any one has lux readings on this?

Hope it out throws my T20C2 R2.