NiteCore D10 & SF 6P w/ M60 shine during Emergency situation!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
So, it was a typical day today in the office... back from the holidays and into the weekly grind with work piling up, meetings and deadlines coming up. My office building is in the heart of the city and is 20 stories and we have our periodic fire drills and warning messages now and again.

I was preparing this afternoon for a meeting when the fire alarm went off in my building. Being one of the fire wardens on my floor, I knew this wasn't a scheduled drill since we don't normally have one when it's -20 degrees c outside! I usually edc a Maratac AAA in my pocket and carry a NC D10 along with a SF 6P w/ M60 in my courier bag so I quickly grabbed both and headed down the hall to talk to my managers.

The announcement came on and said that there was an alarm activated in the P2 parking garage and that we should all be in a hold state so we all waited. 5 minutes later, my manager came around telling everyone to evacuate, which was quickly followed by the announcement over the PA that all 20 floors were to evacuate the building.

I went to my station by the East stairwell and began directing people downstairs when one of my colleagues mentioned that the West stairwell was filled with smoke :caution: and people coming down that stairwell could not see in front of them. I quickly directed one person to make sure they watch the East and I headed to the West stairwell. I felt the door knob - which was cool to the touch - and slowly opened the door to be met with grey... mist / fog. At first, I thought the fire dept must be hosing down a big fire in the garage and that the vapour was traveling up the stairwell but I quickly realized that the "smoke" didn't smell like smoke. It was like a giant steam room in the West stairwell!

I felt that the emergency situation wasn't so bad afterall but I still didn't know the cause - the more pressing situation was that the stairwell was full of people trying to make it down to ground level in a stairwell with steam and they couldn't see 2 feet in front of them. I stood in the doorway with my NC D10 and shone it up the stairwell and told everyone there to exit the stairwell on my floor (5th) and cross over to the other clear stairwell. The D10 had a more narrow beam and less output than my SF 6P w/ M60 so I switched over to my SF 6P and directed it along the wall, up the stairs and yelled up to follow the light to the 5th floor to cross over. You can see some people were on the verge of panic as they couldn't see in front but I was able to tell them that they were almost at the landing and to take their time. They yelled back that they couldn't see a darn thing so I directly my beam up the stairs and told them to head for the light on the 5th floor landing.

I did this for 30 minutes and told one of my fellow wardens to periodically report back to me whether the other stairwell was clear - which it was. Once the final person was out (from what I could tell), I did a final sweep of the floor, exited the building and made my way to our company's rally point.

I finally got the update approx. 20 minutes later that the building had hired a company to complete some renovations in the P2 parking area and apparently some pipe was ruptured causing the steam to escape and up the stairwell. The most disappointing aspect of all of this is that the security personnel in the building, who did discover the steam traveling up about 8-10 stories of the West stairwell, didn't even bother to send anyone to ensure the occupants did not use that stairwell. They simply made an announcement over the PA - only problem is that there are no speakers in the stairwell!!! So, anyone who was already there didn't hear the message, including me.

From a Flashoholic standpoint, I was glad that I had my lights with me and that they were (somewhat) put to the test. My observations: LED lights, while not that great at penetrating steam / fog, did a decent job of projecting a beam of light out approx. 20-30 feet (I also shone it up centre of the stairwell between the railing to direct people), enough that people could see it. Also, both my lights were covered with moisture within 5-10 minutes but worked flawlessly. From the standpoint of the whole situation, I think we were very fortunate it wasn't a fire and no one panicked or was injured while traveling down that stairwell full of steam.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Job well done! :thumbsup:

Good thing it isn't a fire or the process would be suffocating from heat and smog. :sweat:

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Situations like this are my best excuse to prove that EDCing a light makes perfect sense :twothumbs

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I'm currently debating on whether to acquire an M60 or an M60W MC-E to put in my C2. I'm curious if you think having the MC-E version of the M60 would have helped your situation in the stairwell sauna better, or if it would have been like putting your brights on in fog?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm curious if a warmer tinted thrower like the TK20 could have penetrated the steam a bit better, ah well, time to bring it to a sauna and test it out.

EDIT: glad that it wasnt a fire and that no one was hurt

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I know there have been good tests of fog/smoke penetration on this forum already. What I don't think I've seen is pictures of what the beam looks like from someone else's point of view, ie: the people coming down the stairwell and what they might have seen. I would suspect a tight throwing beam would make it further through the obscurant, but also has the advantage of not blinding the user from back scatter. Floody lights look like they aren't penetrating from the user's perspective, but I'm not sure the beam profile makes much of a difference in how much you'd be noticed? The wavelength of the light and the total output has a lot to do with how much gets absorbed by the atmosphere, be it moisture or particulates.

Good job RGB, glad no one was injured.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Job well done! :thumbsup:
Good thing it isn't a fire or the process would be suffocating from heat and smog. :sweat:
Thanks Zeruel. When the 'smoke' first reported to me and I opened that door, my first thought was that we were in serious trouble. Glad it wasn't smoke, otherwise, I don't think I would have been able to stand there for that amount of time.

Situations like this are my best excuse to prove that EDCing a light makes perfect sense :twothumbs
YES! Absolutely! To me, this is not so much an excuse as it is validation / justification. During the postmortem, a manager from another floor thanked me for doing what we did to ensure everyone got out safely. We have about about 6 cross-over floors in our tower so, people coming downstairs saw the fog, quickly tried to open doors on the 6-8th floors but they were locked, effectively trapping them in the stairwell. They were debating whether to turn and go back up when they heard me calling them.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
I'm currently debating on whether to acquire an M60 or an M60W MC-E to put in my C2. I'm curious if you think having the MC-E version of the M60 would have helped your situation in the stairwell sauna better, or if it would have been like putting your brights on in fog?
No problem. When I got back home, I checked the beam patterns between my D10 and 6P/M60 and was surprised that the 6P/M60 actually cast a wider beam pattern. I was shocked - in the fog of that stairwell, it looked like the 6P/M60 had a more narrow beam. I suspect the output was more which made it appear the other way. That said, I would suspect that an MC-E would have too much dispersion and would have created a wall of light vs. a narrow beam that would penetrate the fog.

i'm curious if a warmer tinted thrower like the TK20 could have penetrated the steam a bit better, ah well, time to bring it to a sauna and test it out.

EDIT: glad that it wasnt a fire and that no one was hurt
Thanks hyperloop. I wondered the same about the warmer tint or even an incandescent as CPF'ers always say it penetrates fog / smoke better. I may try to get an M60W but, hopefully, I'll never have to test it in a similar situation.

I know there have been good tests of fog/smoke penetration on this forum already. What I don't think I've seen is pictures of what the beam looks like from someone else's point of view, ie: the people coming down the stairwell and what they might have seen. I would suspect a tight throwing beam would make it further through the obscurant, but also has the advantage of not blinding the user from back scatter. Floody lights look like they aren't penetrating from the user's perspective, but I'm not sure the beam profile makes much of a difference in how much you'd be noticed? The wavelength of the light and the total output has a lot to do with how much gets absorbed by the atmosphere, be it moisture or particulates.

Good job RGB, glad no one was injured.
Hmm... good question. I asked one of my colleagues who was coming down the stairs what she saw and she only indicated that she saw the light waving around. I'll see if she recalls what it looked like. I would definitely say that a narrow beam is better but more output also helps. As I indicated above, the D10 'seemed' to have a narrower beam. I think the M60 has a more subtle change from the hotspot to spill but slightly more output which would explain why it appeared to penetrate the fog better.

One last note... in the postmortem, it turned out that two other people, who evacuated as soon as the alarm sounded, went all the way down the stairs, became disoriented, nearly scalded themselves on the handrails since they were really hot and only managed to escape when they literally ran into a firefighter who apparently had gone into the stairwell on the 2nd floor when they heard them trying to get out. We were fortunate they were not hurt.

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
RGB_LED,
Good job! Our Floor Wardens are required to have a flashlight as part of their evacuation kit. Maybe suggest it to your Security/Disater Preparedness Dept?