Classic SF 6P Defender with Type III Anodizing?

I ordered several standard 6P's from BHPhoto around 2010 or thereabouts, and the one below (which was in a standard 6P package) is clearly a 6P Defender with what appears to be Type III anodizing. A few questions come to mind. Did SF even make a Type III Ano Defender? Can Type II Ano simply look like Type III (i.e. not shiny)? Ignoring the gap-filler O-rings I've added (and the steel Xeno bezel replacing the OEM aluminum), has anyone seen this model before? I've been keeping this one safe in a drawer as if it were rare or unique. Comments?

Edited for clarity: I just realized that the exposure of this shot might look like the finish is grey natural anodizing in which case (as most of you know) there would be no question of it being Type III. However, it is black.

20240201_154132.jpg

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened
I ordered several standard 6P's from BHPhoto around 2010 or thereabouts, and the one below (which was in a standard 6P package) is clearly a 6P Defender with what appears to be Type III anodizing. A few questions come to mind. Did SF even make a Type III Ano Defender? Can Type II Ano simply look like Type III (i.e. not shiny)? Ignoring the gap-filler O-rings I've added (and the steel Xeno bezel replacing the OEM aluminum), has anyone seen this model before? I've been keeping this one safe in a drawer as if it were rare or unique. Comments?

Edited for clarity: I just realized that the exposure of this shot might look like the finish is grey natural anodizing in which case (as most of you know) there would be no question of it being Type III. However, it is black.

View attachment 57017
That satin black look is super nice.

I've also got one of these classic 6P Defender incan I picked up before Covid for a good price. It runs a Sportac Neutral XPL HI dual output in it. It's not in new/mint condition, but damn, those are hard to come by. I use it, but don't beat on it. I can use my beaters for that 😆

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet looking light! That certainly has the matte hard anodized look to it.

I picked up a 6P a couple years ago with suspiciously HAIII looking finish... I think it happens from time to time.

Last edited: