Streamlight Stinger XT/Stinger Classic parts compatibility

LRJ88

Enlightened
I found an auction with an old Stinger XT in it and i couldn't help but pull the trigger on it, after receiving it i realised that it was all filled with gunk since the old battery had died while still inside and spread its lovely innards all over.

Taking it apart i had a bit of a stupid idea and noticed a few things i didn't quite expect and which could help others breathe new life into old flashlights.

The new Stinger Classic LED TIR lens fits the Stinger XT without any issues other than it being hard to judge how deep it should go. The tailcaps are interchangeable despite different OD; the threads are the same. The Stinger XT, being made by some cheeky buggers, uses a regular Classic Xenon bulb assembly, just with the button permanently depressed. The assembly can quite easily be made to fit a 5mm LED, and after that be used for either the old lens or the new one.

Pics can be provided of some of this if anyone wants them.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stinger XT, being made by some cheeky buggers, uses a regular Classic Xenon bulb assembly, just with the button permanently depressed.

That's hilarious. Also made me realize something. Streamlight's LED conversion kit for the Stinger (to turn it into a Classic LED) specifically says it's not for the XT. Had to think about it for a second, but then it struck me the xenon Stingers used a "real" power switch, whereas the LED models are soft power. So sticking an unmodified LED conversion in a Stinger XT wouldn't in fact work due to the virtual power switch.

I have a great big box full of Stingers and XTs I need to go through. Was forced to buy them to get some other lights I needed.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
The first beamshot below here is with the standard lens assembly that the XT comes with, after that you have the Classic LED assembly and a beamshot showing it being a lot more even, albeit still with some artifacts. The tail caps can be switched and the Classic LED will work with the XT's tail cap but not vice versa.

Attachments

• IMG_7402.JPG
    IMG_7402.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7403.JPG
    IMG_7403.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7404.JPG
    IMG_7404.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7405.JPG
    IMG_7405.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 25

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole xenon Stinger series is very Lego-y. Didn't realize they used the exact same switch across the board, but everything else is largely the same too. Stinger HP and Ultra Stinger models are just head swaps (the Ultra Stinger began life as the Super Stinger, which has been discontinued for long enough you don't hear about it these days.)

Stinger DS models are just tailcap swaps for the LED models. But you have to use the modern switches.

LRJ88

Enlightened
The whole xenon Stinger series is very Lego-y. Didn't realize they used the exact same switch across the board, but everything else is largely the same too. Stinger HP and Ultra Stinger models are just head swaps (the Ultra Stinger began life as the Super Stinger, which has been discontinued for long enough you don't hear about it these days.)

Stinger DS models are just tailcap swaps for the LED models. But you have to use the modern switches.
I'm very tempted to widen the amount of Stingers i have, given i have 2 now it shouldn't be too hard. I think one of the newer DS models will be next just to try things out.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Proof of concept after just shoving a cheap 5mm LED straight into the bi-pin socket, considering it drawing 30mA tops i think i'm ok with the output. I can also swap it out for green, red, blue, or whatever colour easily. The output is really low, but with the runtimes this will have it's a sacrifice i'm all too willing to make.

Attachments

• IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 15

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does the Super Stinger look like?
It's an Ultra Stinger with a normal head. The same way a Stinger becomes a Stinger HP when you add a turbo head, the Super Stinger became the Ultra Stinger. The Super must have been a poor seller since the Ultra entirely replaced it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an Ultra Stinger with a normal head. The same way a Stinger becomes a Stinger HP when you add a turbo head, the Super Stinger became the Ultra Stinger. The Super must have been a poor seller since the Ultra entirely replaced it.
So much great info here. I went from Scorps straight to Strions and missed the Stingers, but in retrospect I enjoy learning about them. They played a major role in the development timeline (and still do today, for that matter), so I consider them one of those 'important' lights to know about to understand how we got to where we are today.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swear I'm becoming a Streamlight fanboi.
You could do a lot worse! Hasn't done me any harm after a few decades now (my issues weren't caused by SL;-)), just kept me well-lighted at all times; not one single failure that wasn't a burned out bulb (knock on wood), and amazingly few of those.