RED Led suggestions?

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Hello! So today while using my crazy bright ssc P7 i realized that it KILLED my nightvision... I couldnt see anything after i used the light so i was wondering does anyone have some suggestions for RED lights? Affordable? less than twenty bucks? thanks a bunch!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know much about this light, and there may very well be better options out there, but it always looked pretty nice to me:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000000984&categoryid=1110&brand=

If you google coleman family store and then enter in the password family, you can get this light which is 80 lumens and can output in red green or white for 20 bucks, plus shipping.

A quick search of "red led" on batteryjunction also turned up 2 red mag dropins and this lil guy for 4.95:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/phimi.html

Hope this helps

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The red Photon Freedom is excellent for low-level navigation. Surprisingly bright for a keyfob light. Make sure that you get the one with the covert nose (so that all the light goes forwards).

I've got a couple of red Cree emitters and was wondering how easy it might be to swap one into a D10 - has anyone done this successfully ?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Gerber Infinity Ultra red.

Great choice there! A solid and dependable light that won't harm your night vision. This is a light commonly used by people doing cave surveys as they need to be able to write and draw and use measuring devices without harming their night vision.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking you could kill two birds with one stone and just carry a Quark RGB.

+10!!!

Significantly over the price range you mention, but from everything I've read on here it's a fantastic light, especially for flood fanatics (and neutral lovers) like myself. I'm going to get one for my astronomy activities with my family and our scope in our backyard and with our club.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably get a red filter for that amount. I know these are over your budget but a SF red A2 is a great light. The Petzl Tikka2 headlamps have a red LED.

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened
I have a brass Peak double AA with three red LEDs that I am pretty fond of, but my favorite red light is a Ra Twisty Tr85. More than you mentioned but you can still get them for $99 and you have a red low with a beautiful white mid and high. A very nice light and it serves both purposes.

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys some of these lights are amazing but way over budget! i got a ghetto coleman Red green white light from walmart and i like that quite a bit.. should i get one of those? or would some of your suggestions be better?

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Also is it possible to mod a 8x white led light? would they use the same voltage? or would different additions be needed such as resistors and other things? or mod a mini mag? thanks a bunch

Last edited:

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered an Ultrafire WF-501B with red drop-in from DX for 9.90$ (sku.20333) because I needed a host for a new XP-G drop-in. However I do not already own it, so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

When you get it could you tell me how it is? Thanks!!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Peak Matterhorn red single LED and sanded the LED for a smooth, floody beam. It's well-built, small enough to use as a backup for a larger light and has good runtime on a single AAA.

I'd go for this, you most likely will have no luck finding the Infinity Ultra with a red LED, I've looked like crazy. I myself have a Peak Eiger level 1, medium optic with a red Rebel and personally I find it too bright for my intended uses, maybe the wide version would be more suitable.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I'm very happy with my Terralux luxeon I red led for my Minimag 2AA. About 18 lumens of red light. More lumens might IMO kill the reason for a red light.
But I guess these Terraluxes are no longer available... maybe somewhere at Brightguy or another vendor?
Another fine red light is the Peak. I like my Fujiyama SS 3led red very much, though it is quite dim, but that is fine for it's intended purpose: nighttime navigation. Peak has several red lights available and the quality is peerless.

Keep well,
Joris

The Dane

Enlightened
When you get it could you tell me how it is? Thanks!!
Got one!
It's a Cree XR-C @50-80lumen plenty to destroy nightvision and usefull to 45-50m with my old eyes!
DSCN2714.jpg

http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_xrc.asp