RED Led suggestions?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always pick up a Proton Pro and get both red and white.

Geoff
+1 about double your budget, but a lot of light for the money with variable red or white output.

Gerber was a good suggestion within budget, and so what the Photon if they have enough output for you.

Zeva

Newly Enlightened
Would it be possible to use THIS and how would i use it? How would i know which end is + and which side is -? thanks!

italianboy

Newly Enlightened
A very small village in the North of Italy
I just got the Red Ultrafire. The build quality is decent; it runs off a single 18650 @ a current draw of 0.6A and is quite bright! I think it has around 50-60 lumens of pure red light (not orange, a very pure red). The hotspot is bigger than a p60 xp-e, but quite intense. I will try this at night when I can, but I think it's too bright to preserve the nightvision; but you can always mod the driver to get less current (maybe at 0.1-0.2A it could be good for your needs).

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Hello! So today while using my crazy bright ssc P7 i realized that it KILLED my nightvision... I couldnt see anything after i used the light so i was wondering does anyone have some suggestions for RED lights? Affordable? less than twenty bucks? thanks a bunch!

What about a red lens for your light?

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
I have a red Zebralight 501R, which is very versatile and worth a look.

The other thing you might want to consider is that Nailbender on the custom forum supplies a very nice D26 drop in. It is a Diamond Dragon red LED and I have one instsalled in a Surefire 6P.

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Is the red Diamond Dragon a great thrower? Or does it give a floody beam. How far could you identify an animal with it?

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
The red Diamond Dragon has a good spill beam and it throws well to I would say about 150m. Nailbender can also supply a red SST-90 which would be much brighter but I suspect with less throw, I do not have one of those to compare with.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading the answers from the members just tried something.I have a nice little twisty which cost just a UK pound and can be replaced easy enough.

I just coloured the led in red with a Sharpie Marker,seems ok will know better when I wake in the middle of the night with tired and sleepy eyes to use the bathroom.

Illum

Flashaholic
geeze thats a really bright red light! no way to dimm it? :(

sure it can, with the right driver:tinfoil:

I've built a red led light running off a car battery once that's got dimming capability via 5K linear pot on a luxdrive Buckpuck. Uses 3 LXHL-MD1D's....roughly 130 lumens on max and I can taper it to zero:nana:

Sober

Newly Enlightened
I have a red Zebralight 501R, which is very versatile and worth a look.

The other thing you might want to consider is that Nailbender on the custom forum supplies a very nice D26 drop in. It is a Diamond Dragon red LED and I have one instsalled in a Surefire 6P.

I have bought a couple of red D26 Diamond Dragon LED's from Nailbender and they are really great.

Sober

Newly Enlightened
The red Diamond Dragon has a good spill beam and it throws well to I would say about 150m. Nailbender can also supply a red SST-90 which would be much brighter but I suspect with less throw, I do not have one of those to compare with.

I bough one of these red D36 SST-90 from Nailbender and sadly sold it to a friend the next day that uses it for hunting, played with it for 1 night though and it is by far the brightest red LED setup that I have ever seen, easily 2-3 times as bright as the red Diamond Dragon D26 with a huge hotspot and spill, it really looks like a red P7...

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
I might be tempted to try one of the red SST-90s in the D26 format and then decide which one to keep. As it can be supplied with 3 levels, I guess medium would be close to the Diamond Dragon while having the high option when required.

Croyde

Newly Enlightened
I bough one of these red D36 SST-90 from Nailbender and sadly sold it to a friend the next day that uses it for hunting, played with it for 1 night though and it is by far the brightest red LED setup that I have ever seen, easily 2-3 times as bright as the red Diamond Dragon D26 with a huge hotspot and spill, it really looks like a red P7...

What light did you use as the host for this D36 drop in?