My complete collection (almost) with photos and beam shots - PHOTO HEAVY!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my "my wife, son and daughter are out of town this weekend" comprehensive light review. It may or may not be of interest to you, but perhaps somewhere in this LONG review you just might find something useful. I hope so – it's taken me a couple of days to put together!

Immediately following this paragraph you will find a chart showing the output ratings of all lights -in addition a photo of the light will precede each set of beamshots for each light with the specifications spelled out on the photo.
new%20lux%20readings.jpg

If you follow this link, there is a 'self indulgent' YouTube video of various views of my entire light collection. Missing are 2 lights – my Arc 6 and Ra Clicky 140 wide – both are with Tekno Cowboy having neutral XPG emitters installed. I'll add them another time.

Also, there is a full album of photos - additional ones showing multiple views of the lights in higher resolution. To see the photos, please click here. For full res versions of the beam shot photos, please click here.

There are three backgrounds – one is down a hall in my basement. Against the white door is a 'drum set' from Rock Band – I used it for the subtle colors that it shows. You can also see my sunburst Fender American Strat Deluxe...:thumbsup:The camera is a Canon EOS 40D with a Sigma 18-55 2.8 lens. Settings are manual – white balanced to the incandescent setting.

This is the control shot…
IMG_0593.JPG

Next we go outside to my patio. About 20 feet to the corner where my 'target' is a few plants. If you look near the top center of the photo, there is the tree that is another 10 feet or so away that makes up the 3rd beam shot.

IMG_0332.JPG

First up is one of my oldest, and my only AA light, the Fenix L1D
IMG_0482.JPG

And the shots...

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Next up is my keychain light, a Quark MiNi CR2. Amazingly bright little thing....
IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

Next is a little jewel known as the BitZ, in titanium. I hated the clip so i removed it.
IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Next is a beta test version of the Firewolf MA36
IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

This one needs no introduction - the monster Jetbeam M1X
IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

And one of my favorites - the '120 lumen' version of the Surefire E2DL - although it reads significantly higher...
IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

Now we get into the customs. If it is a modded light or from a custom 'maker', it fits into this category.

First up is a Surefire T1A modded by DaFABRICATA with a high CRI emitter. I love this little light!
IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

This is a gunmetal gray Surefire 6P with a Nailbender SST-50 drop in. One of my older lights, but a terrific combination. Nailbender makes fantastic drop ins! Didn't get all the beam shots for this one - file corrupted or something like that - I may try to shoot them again and add to the post.

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

Next is one of the most beautiful lights I own - indeed - one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Photofanatic calls this the "Double Grooved Titanium" light and it is coated in "Diamond Like Carbon", or "DLC", which is difficult to photograph. I think the photo captures it pretty well.
IMG_0508-2.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Say "hello" to "Shock and Awe" - the Mac's EDC - SST-50 running at 2.8mA with cool 6500 tint. Wow.
IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

Now this is a real treasure. This is the 'famous' Spy 007 in glorious titanium, but it has been modded by DaFABRICATA with a new heat sink and a Cree XPG Neutral emitter. Man, this is another beauty. Sure hope I score a Tri-V!!
IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

A classic - the McGizmo Haiku XRE version. One of my all time favorites, and my first custom light and first McGizmo.
IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

And the XPG version of the same light...can't see any difference without looking at the emitter - or, of course, turning it on...
IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

This is a McGizmo masterpiece - the Bead Blasted Haiku, this one being an XPG with the warm emitter.
IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

And the light that helped light every single flashlight photo in this post - with the obvious exception of this one - the McGizmo Sundrop XR-U. My regular close work photography tool!
IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Skipped the tree - not enough throw. Not what this light is about anyway!

And a couple of great lights in their own right - custom because I ordered them both with black titanium bezels and sapphire lenses.

HDS Systems Ra Clicky High CRI 100
(And yes, that's a battery beside it - to keep it from rolling!:crackup:)

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

Then finally you have the HDS Systems Ra Clicky 170 Narrow beam - great little light!
IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

So there you have it! What is certainly my longest post ever, and perhaps one of the longest posts on CPF. I hope that it is of interest and/or help to you. Moderators, if this should be moved please feel free to do so. Meanwhile, please feel free to PM me or post here with any questions or comments.

This literally took most of the weekend and a couple of hours on Monday to finish, but it was an enjoyable project!

lovecpf

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dan! Great post. Loved all the beamshots. :thumbsup: Now, the all important question....What light do you take when walking your dogs?

Edit: Also, where's the Mac's EDC?

Last edited:

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Thanks for putting so much effort into this! I'm especially happy to finally see some good beamshots of the high CRI Clicky, which I've been putting much thought into purchasing once funds permit.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dan! Great post. Loved all the beamshots. :thumbsup: Now, the all important question....What light do you take when walking your dogs?

Edit: Also, where's the Mac's EDC?

Let's see - what day is it? :eek:

Usually I have either the Spy, Haiku XPGW, or (most often now) Mac's. As a backup I ALWAYS carry the Ra Clicky narrow - it throws forever. I have a Milky surprise on the way that may take over....then there's the Tri-V if I am lucky...:whistle: :eek: :ohgeez:

Oh, and post corrected - the Mac EDC is there now! Thanks for catching that and letting me know!

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see - what day is it? :eek:

Usually I have either the Spy, Haiku XPGW, or (most often now) Mac's. As a backup I ALWAYS carry the Ra Clicky narrow - it throws forever. I have a Milky surprise on the way that may take over....then there's the Tri-V if I am lucky...:whistle: :eek: :ohgeez:

Oh, and post corrected - the Mac EDC is there now! Thanks for catching that and letting me know!

No prob Dan. How would you compare the High CRI clicky to the 170cn? Can't wait for my Milky either. Will prob be awhile though. :popcorn:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, you get bored when the family is away huh??

:nana:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob Dan. How would you compare the High CRI clicky to the 170cn? :popcorn:
Two totally different animals. The High CRI version is a wide beam and mine has executive operation, so I have 4 modes available. Great for 'near field' lighting with beautiful color rendition outside. Inside it looks a bit 'yellow', but that's been stated here many times. My 170 is tactical operation, and is a bit intense for close up - it has a serious spot and great throw. Those two lights 'check off a number of boxes' when used together...kinda like a Tri-V...:whistle:

Great post, you get bored when the family is away huh??

:nana:

:D Indeed! 3 things - new camera that was great fun learning to use;
- bored and missing my family;

- lovecpf
:thumbsup:

r_x

Newly Enlightened
Great pictures, thanks! Those Clicky High CRI shots look great. I just received mine today and can't wait for it to get dark out. :grin2:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I liked in the beam shots are;
Mac's SST-50 (Shock & Awe) for sheer output
Haiku XPG Warm (color)
High CRI Clicky (color)

I used my Mac 6500 (cool) today for the first time out in the mill, may be a tad cool for me. I prefer the Mac 4500 (warm) for color. I don't think it gives up much in terms of brightness either.

I've got the Haiku XR-E, it will be interesting to see how it matches up in color as I've used it extensively and did not note it as being too cool.

I was going to do a review of my lights - but after seeing Dan's review where the outside shots really made it for me - particularly the flowers in the pot. I'm in an apt most of the time (work 300 miles from home) so don't have the ability to easily do nice dark outdoor shots. SO I don't think I could do a review that would do the lights justice.

Great Job!!

Barbarian

Enlightened
Dan,

Thanks for taking the time for that incredible first post of information and beam shots. Subscription added.

Many of us have at least one of your lights, so it gives us something to visibly compare the other lights to that we are considering buying. I know I am thinking about that warm BB Haiku XP-G.

You cleaned that brass blaster up real nice. Gorgeous photo, and yeah it puts out a little bit, eh? That output on high kills the competition. I hope you get the 4500k version soon. You'll love it.

I agree with you about the 170CN. I like to have a thrower with me to go with my flood light (SST-50 EDC). That intense hotspot comes in handy when yo need some extra power to add illlumination to an already lit room or outdoor (daytime) setting.

I was looking forward to this thread and you delivered the goods. :twothumbs

:bow:

scout24

Flashaholic
Fantastic work Dan! I guess this is what happens when Mrs. Dan is away? Great photos and thanks for the charts!!!:twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys...you are too nice. Heck, this is the fun part of his hobby - always in search of the "holy grail" of flashlights, but secretly hoping we don't find it!! 'Cause the search is half the fun!

One of the takeaways I enjoyed most was the comparison between the Jetbeam M1X and Mac's EDC. Both measured 450, but the similarities end there. I'm not dissing the M1X - it is an amazing thrower, but it uses either 2 18500s or 2 18650s, it's huge, it has a huge reflector and a 4 die LED. It has a huge donut hole in the beam, but on the positive side, it just throws forever. Then the EDC - pocket size, great clicky interface, SMOOOOTH beam that, as a comparison, lights up half the football field while the M1X is throwing a spot on one runner (pretty good, huh?:eek:) Both have awesome performance, aren't priced that much differently, but which one are you more likely to actually HAVE when you need it?

Or the Spy. That little chunk of titanium never ceases to amaze me. Just look at the beam the little beast puts out; and it is very small, but has the reserve power of 2 123s. And then there are the McGizmos...I still think for pure utility and elegance, Don's lights are still among the ones to beat. Easy to hold, nice to look at, built like tanks, and incredibly USEFUL beams. Hey, they are tools, right?

And not to skip any of the others, but the Clickies are amazing in their own right - and there have been many comments about the High CRI Clicky. Some say it is too yellow - and I'd agree if it were used for hunting white walls - but just look at the flowers and especially the pot in the front. Look how 'alive' the colors are...compare that to any of the cool white lights...very flat and boring. Or the warm Haiku - similarly great color.

And look at that Photonfanatic light. Photos don't do it justice - but hopefully this one gives you a glimpse into what I think is one of the most beautiful lights you can buy. It is gorgeous, and even more so when those 5 trits are glowing.

And I'll have to add the Milky masterpiece that is on the way to me...:poke:...I think it may just be a game changer...expect to see Scott really flexing some creative muscles in the days ahead!

So what's a flashaholic to do? Do any of us want to pick 'just one?' I sure don't. Choose just one? :eek: Then we wouldn't be able to compare and enjoy the differences! Now, if you just want a bit of light, any of them would serve your needs, but man, ain't it great that we can find one that not only fills a need but satisfies our desire to own a fine tool!! Or dare I say, a collector's item?

Sorry, I slipped into verbosity!:eek:

lovecpf

SFfanman

Enlightened
As good as I expected, Dan. :twothumbs Those still photos of individual lights are beautiful and the 3 settings selection are most valuable. Some light results took me by suprise while others confirmed my estimations. I also enjoyed the follow-up commentary from a user's point of view. I had hoped this great thread would bring some clarity but I think it brought more of the opposite. "Having one is only HALF the fun". Beautiful collection.

Thanks for all the hard work. :grin2:

Moka

Enlightened
Thanks for the Hi-CRI Clicky beamshots... Been considering one of those for a while. Still not sure... But gives me something to think about... :thumbsup: