E1Bs' specs finally updated on Surefires' website....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So they finally officially bumped the max output up to 110L. for some reason I thought they were going to bump the runtime from 1.3Hrs to 1.5hrs but it seems to be the same. Anyway just FYI

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice KDog...is this the same story as the L4, where they rated it at 65, then updated it on paper to 100, because it always was 100, or did they upgrade the E1B? My E1B definitely seems brighter than 80 lumens...

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice KDog...is this the same story as the L4, where they rated it at 65, then updated it on paper to 100, because it always was 100, or did they upgrade the E1B? My E1B definitely seems brighter than 80 lumens...

I have searched on here countlessly and have never been able to find a definitive anwser. Some say it's the same, some say the LED was updated. I guess one could contact surefire thought, who knows what kind of anwser you would get though. I guess the only way to know for sure is for someone who has an older "advertised 80 lum" model and do a compaorson with a new 110 lum model.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
They updated the LED to increase the lumens from 80 to 110. There is definitely a difference.

The only problem is that they have not updated their packaging, so it still says 80 lumens, even with the 110 lumen models. We just received a shipment from them that still has 80 lumens on the front but were confirmed repeatedly to be the 110 models. I'm guessing they had a few thousand 80 lumen packages sitting around that they had to work through. :)

Edit: I was wrong. They only updated the rating, not the light itself. See post #22.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
They updated the LED to increase the lumens from 80 to 110. There is definitely a difference.

The only problem is that they have not updated their packaging, so it still says 80 lumens, even with the 110 lumen models. We just received a shipment from them that still has 80 lumens on the front but were confirmed repeatedly to be the 110 models. I'm guessing they had a few thousand 80 lumen packages sitting around that they had to work through. :)

I'm sorry but that's just stupid. How much money could surefire have really lost to have just thrown out the old packaging and replace it with the new advertising 110 lumens? I guess this might sound silly, but if I ever decide to get an E1B, Im going to wait till it released with the updated packaging. I'm a little OCD and if I bought one with an 80 lumen package I would constantly wonder if I had really gotten the newest 110 lumen version, Thanks for clearing up this mystery goinggear.com.

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry but that's just stupid. How much money could surefire have really lost to have just thrown out the old packaging and replace it with the new advertising 110 lumens? I guess this might sound silly, but if I ever decide to get an E1B, Im going to wait till it released with the updated packaging. I'm a little OCD and if I bought one with an 80 lumen package I would constantly wonder if I had really gotten the newest 110 lumen version, Thanks for clearing up this mystery goinggear.com.

you are right, surefire put an old 80 lumens package with a 110 lumens flashlight???:whistle:

Size15's

Flashaholic
If that's true, wihich it is, then I wonder how much the new improved version is putting out?

110 lumens. 80 lumens was a pre-production 'estimate'.

SureFire has been taking a fresh look at the lumen outputs of its products in production. This has resulted in two main reasons for updating product lumen ratings:
1) some models getting actual production ratings rather than the pre-production ratings they had
2) some models getting updated production ratings following the phasing in of higher output LEDs

SureFire are using the new Flashlight Standard they helped develop so their ratings are more accurate and updated more frequently as necessary.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

SureFire has been taking a fresh look at the lumen outputs of its products in production. This has resulted in two main reasons for updating product lumen ratings:
1) some models getting actual production ratings rather than the pre-production ratings they had
2) some models getting updated production ratings following the phasing in of higher output LEDs

SureFire are using the new Flashlight Standard they helped develop so their ratings are more accurate and updated more frequently as necessary.

Well, then I'd be really interested to see what the updated lumen rating for the E1L is. 'Cause it's sure putting out more than 45 lumens. :thumbsup:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Al, there is something not quite consistent with what I see personally and what I have read based on what you have said. I happened to have the chance to test a few 120 lumens E2DL against the newer 200 lumens E2DL and everytime I try it, the ones rated 200 lumens looks a tad brighter than the 120 lumens version. If Surefire had only re-invented the way they project their lumen ratings to give a more realistic output, why am I seeing some difference here? Does it only happen to the E2DL?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
You see this is what I'm talking about. Size15's is saying nothing changed, the light has always put out 110 lumens, whereas goinggear.com states they got a shipment in and the newer ones are using an updated LED and are brighter. It seems there are equal members on both sides of this contraversy.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You see this is what I'm talking about. Size15's is saying nothing changed, the light has always put out 110 lumens, whereas goinggear.com states they got a shipment in and the newer ones are using an updated LED and are brighter. It seems there are equal members on both sides of this contraversy.

I guess the only way to find out is for a few of us who wouldn't mind buying a second E1B with the newly rated 110 lumens to buy it and compare them side by side. I saw goinggear's 110 lumens E1B video on YouTube and I was expecting to see them do a side by side comparo with the older 80 lumens one but I guess I lucked out. I had expected to see that in the video because GG claimed that the 110 lumens is slightly brighter, which also means that they have the older one to compare against to make that statement. Nothing against goinggear.com here, just voicing my maybe unrealistic expectations.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the only way to find out is for a few of us who wouldn't mind buying a second E1B with the newly rated 110 lumens to buy it and compare them side by side. I saw goinggear's 110 lumens E1B video on YouTube and I was expecting to see them do a side by side comparo with the older 80 lumens one but I guess I lucked out. I had expected to see that in the video because GG claimed that the 110 lumens is slightly brighter, which also means that they have the older one to compare against to make that statement. Nothing against goinggear.com here, just voicing my maybe unrealistic expectations.

Yeah, maybe if they see this post they can go ahead and maybe post some beamshots to finally end the mystery. One could always contact surefire but the anwser you get could be a hit or miss, depending on the rep you get and how knowledgable they are.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi Al, there is something not quite consistent with what I see personally and what I have read based on what you have said. I happened to have the chance to test a few 120 lumens E2DL against the newer 200 lumens E2DL and everytime I try it, the ones rated 200 lumens looks a tad brighter than the 120 lumens version. If Surefire had only re-invented the way they project their lumen ratings to give a more realistic output, why am I seeing some difference here? Does it only happen to the E2DL?
In the case of the E2DL the original output was under-rated, and the E2DL was improved for a higher output.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the case of the E2DL the original output was under-rated, and the E2DL was improved for a higher output.

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess there is a chance that SF would have improved the output of the E1B to project 110 lumens or more? I may not be getting another E1B but I am still awaiting the LX1 so that might be a good news.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, the more I think about it, the more it seems likely surefire may have indeed updated the emitter on the E1B. Here's why I think so. If surefire would have realized, hey, we are rating this light at 80 lumens but it's really putting out 110, lets go ahead and change the output rating to 110 lums cause thats what their really putting out. Surefire didn't do that. Instead, they send out emails and in their ads they specificaly stated "new improved more output", so by them specificaly stating that it's new improved more output that leads me to believe that the emitter was indeed updated, but of couse I could be wrong. I don't think surefire anwseres email's on weekends so tomorrow I will contact them and see what they have to say.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened

I have only been a dealer for a few months and knew about the new version, so I never ordered the 80 lumen version. My comparison was based on a rep sample and a few customer's personal lights. Granted, they could have had low batteries, but every one of them was not as bright.

Last edited: