3rd Annual Summer Getogether - ALASKA CRUISE !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVA

Enlightened
Re: 3rd Annual Summer Getogether - ALASKA CRUISE

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
I'm with JimH on this one. We have wanted to go on such a cruise but without anyone else that we know to accompany us, it's probably something we'd never do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here - We did a cruise last year with a group of friends and it was a blast. Not sure it would have been as much fun if I was stuck with a bunch of strangers every night at dinner and had to feign interest in their weird hobbies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Monterey is very pretty - I used to live there - so if the cruise changes to a trip, you could do a lot worse. But I'd still like to see the deets on the cruise before ruling that out - particularly if Jeff has a hook-up for upgrades /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

Cheers,
Bob

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Cruise vs. get-together: I think it's how you view the event - if it's a side trip for a weekend just to meet with fellow CPF'ers then of course a cruise is extravagant. But if you treat it like a real vacation (people still do vacations, don't they?), then don't they typically last for at least a week or so?

Now cost is another issue, but again if you're flying to Mexico or Canada or even just to a far region of the country you're still talking thousands for the average size family since you have to factor in hotels, car rental, etc. With a cruise it's like being a tortoise - you drag your living quarters around with you to every port and there's no need for a car...plus how often will you get to go on a cruise with a bunch of like-minded hobbyists as BobVA mentioned?

Of course ANYwhere that *I* go has to be a real vacation because from Hawaii I have to FLY everywhere anyway. So it's a no-brainer for me.

JM2C (Just My 2 Cents).

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Of course ANYwhere that *I* go has to be a real vacation because from Hawaii I have to FLY everywhere anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ironic that you live in the place where I spend thousand$ to go on vacation!

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

It kills me to write this... I have been offered the follwoing: employee rates for first week of August..... CHEAP ... on average, $40 pp/day for an inside double, double occupancy, plus port taxes, plus air fare. Even at $60 (outside dougle) a day, that's $420 for the week, plus port taxes ($189), plus air fare ??? ($300 or $400)..... that's like, right around $1000. In case your not following the math, this would would normally be something like $949 pp, plus port taxes, plus air or $1500 - $1600.

However, as MrBulk has said, one week seems to be more time than people can afford... Also, I could not make the trip that week becuase my daughter will be in a basketball tournament (dang, I just signed up on Sunday). My point here is that $1000 for a weeks vacation is do-able for many members of CPF, but from what I have read, people seem to be more interested in a 3-4 day weekend get away, than a weeks vacation

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

As I said, I'm in. And can you get this price even if you don't go yourself?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

It wouldn't be the same without Jeff!

Larry (I took the LH to work again today to show it off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
It wouldn't be the same without Jeff!

[/ QUOTE ]

What Larry said.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can move the dates around, but I don't think that's the issue. 3/4 day get together or vacation?

Greta

Flashaholic

3/4 day get together... definately more do-able for us... life is just too busy now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

3/4 would be easier for most. But I am really easy, I will do almost anything.

BobVA

Enlightened

Any way to overlap the get-together and the cruise embarkation? Or do you have to leave from AK?

At the prices you quoted I'm definitely interested, and there's enough lead time now to clear the decks for a 5-7 day trip.

I'm kinda in the converse of the other's situation - I'm not sure I could justify the air fare for a short get together. It would pretty well empty the (longer) vacation piggy-bank.

Cheers,
Bob

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Personally it would cost me as much, or perhaps more, for a 3-4 day get-together since I would not only have to fly, but also pay for a place to stay, car rental, take off from work a couple of additional days just to Make that 3-4 day period together with y'all, etc. So if it does become a cruise then me and my family are definitely in, 3-4 day get-together then I am probably out.

But thanks for the great research and just for suggesting something as bold as this, Jeff!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
So if it does become a cruise then me and my family are definitely in, 3-4 day get-together then I am probably out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the 3-4 day get together were in Hawaii? - I'd be up for that.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Did I mention we're kind of short on "darkness" here in the Summer? Sort of hard to play with flashlights when it's as bright as the noon sun at 11:30 PM!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
So if it does become a cruise then me and my family are definitely in, 3-4 day get-together then I am probably out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the 3-4 day get together were in Hawaii? - I'd be up for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Then all I'd be out is gas money - oops, I get all my gas free anyway - so yeah, bring it on!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

In fact at least one get-together meal for everyone will be on Me...!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, this is starting to sound like the beginning of a plan.

We book well in advance to get a cheapo air fare, then we save on lodging by all staying at Charlie's place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
rollin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Did I mention we're kind of short on "darkness" here in the Summer? Sort of hard to play with flashlights when it's as bright as the noon sun at 11:30 PM!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Indeed, the man from up North has an excellent point. Not much need for lights in the summer up there!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wondered when someone would point that out!

It is, after all, the Land of the MIDNIGHT Sun!

DARK would mean somewhere much closer to the Equator if you want to play with lights!

Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I'm too busy salmon & trout fishing or hiking (or letting the railroad stress me out at work!) during the summer months to play with flashlights!!

It's like living in the middle of a National Geographic magazine!!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thought I'd summarize the currently discussed options:

1) Alaska cruise - no dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

2) Camping out at Charley's place in Hawaii /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

3) Tramp steamer cruise to points south /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.