47's Preon and Rechargeables

tookie

Newly Enlightened
So, here comes the question of lurker and that was lurking and saw a nice new toy that looks interesting.

From what I've been able to discern through my lurks, is the new Preon, whether the 1 or 2 AAA model won't work with rechargeable lithium AAA's?

I don't really have that big of a knowledge of batteries so hopefully people will be able to help me out!

Thanks.

ionizedsky

Enlightened
I am no expert but from what I am reading is the Preon is rated to run on 0.9V-3.0V. Alkaline primaries in AAA are rated at 1.5V, AAA (10440) LI-ion from what I can find available operate at 3.6V. So running two primaries is 3.0V total. Where as running two Li-ion it would be pushing 7+volts and actually even over 8+volts fresh off the charger. Now I could only 1 set of AAA Li-ions and that just happens to be what there rated at. I am sure someone else will have further input on the matter.

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
You mean 10440's? Certainly not in a 2AAA light but it seems at least 3.4v is okay so...considering that you can purchase replacement heads...it will be tried by some brave soul seeking 160 lumens out of the 1AAA light. The official answer is NO and a lot of very informed and intelligent people are going to advise against it for good reason but someone is still gonna try it.