Run-Time Plot - LongBow-Micra

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
This runtime plot is for a LongBow-Micra LS LED flashlight that uses 1xCR123 battery. For this plot, one Battery Station CR123 battery was used.

Equipment used is a Extech Mdl 401021 Light Adapter into a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using ScopeView Software (V 1.08).

The vertical axis is 0.09vDC per division which is equivalent to 90Fc 2 1Ft per division. The horizontal axis is 30 minutes per division.

Be aware that you actual battery milage may vary from that indicated by this runtime plot.

The runtime to 50% of max brightness = 1h 17m
lb-micra.jpg

was_jlh

Enlightened
Roy, for those that don't own a Micra, you may want to point out that the one you picture is the "clicky" version.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
look slike it is significantly overdriven or has an inefficient driver ... anyone know the drive current to the LED?
bernhard

Roy

Bob....the Micra had a max brightness of 667Fc @ 1Ft using 1x123 vs a max brightness of 472Fc @ 1Ft using 2x123 for the Mini!

I was supprised enough with the Micra's runtime that I ran a second plot and got, for all practical purposes, the same result. I stopped the second plot about halfway down the slope and the Micra was hot, but not so hot as not to be able to hold it in your bare hand.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, once again, Roy ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like the regulation of the Micra.

Britt

Overload

Newly Enlightened
Weird, for my two samples the mini is brighter than the micra. I dont have fc here at work, but I DO remember that the bigger light was brighter.

Overload in Colorado

sygyzy

Enlightened
Good god. Only about ~40 minutes of regulated runtime then a quick drop? That is weaksauce!

Roy

[ QUOTE ]
sygyzy said:
Good god. Only about ~40 minutes of regulated runtime then a quick drop? That is weaksauce!

[/ QUOTE ]

What light are you refering to?

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this has been tested, but I doubt that the Batterystation CR123 battery can keep up with brands like Surefire, Duracell or Panasonic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Roy

I'm sure that there are differences between brands and between batches within a brand, but I would not expect the differences to be large. the LongBow web site only claims a runtime of max brightness of ~1.5 hoursfor the Micra. which is refreshingly honest! I measured the runtime to be ~1.25 hours. There are a lot of variables that will effect a runtime measurment battery heating, enviromental temp, contact resistence, etc. A professional lab would run a series of tests and report the average. I normally one run one plot. I did two for the Micra because of the short runtime in the first plot....the second was escentially the same. Like most members of the CPF, I buy the cheapest batteries I can get (gotta streach my fixed income).

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be a lot of variability in the efficiency of these lights. Some units have been shown to stay in regulation for almost 2 hours. But notice that another Longbow unit (shown on the same graph) is considerably dimmer and shorter running.